X10 controlled Motions Sensors and Pets

theAberdeenKid

Hey I want to install a bunch of X10 motion sensors in different rooms so when someone walks into a room the lights automatically turn on, then automatically turn off after (x) minutes when they leave. See model below:

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/customer/pr...4&cat=63&page=1

The problem is I have two cats and I don't want the lights turning on and off all night as they roam and play about the house. I also don't want to spend alot of money on these so I would like to keep the cost to around $10 to $15 a sensor. I would also like to have these sensors wireless.

Questions:
1. I imagine these aren't pet immune so would I be able to mask these off?
2. (Wife Question) Can I paint the sensors (obviously not the sensor part) to match wall colors?
3. Can anyone suggest an equivilent pet immune sensor?

I have never had much problem with my cat setting them off. I try to keep them mounted higher on the wall so the only time they sometimes do trigger is if the cat is jumping up on the back of the couch or chair.

As for painting. I have painted one. I used just a foam brush and the semi-gloss wall paint from the room. It took a couple of coats. I would recommend if you have one use a air brush...I think it would create a much neater appearance. You might have to thin the paint just a bit though.

I haven't checked for the X10 detectors, but many motion detectors target a region at and below the height of the detector. To avoid pets, they usually suggest mounting the sensors lower on the wall and placing them upside down. This way, they are targetting a region at and above the sensor. If your cat always stays close to the floor, try mounting the sensor a few feet off the floor and upside down.

I believed there was a cheap motion detector that would NOT be set off by pets. I've been looking and I can't find it, but I believe it would only go based on the temp of the moving object. Again, can't find it, but I know it was out there.

If you get professional grade motion detectors, many include prefitted pieces of tape or cardboard so that parts of the detection field can be blocked off.

Back