X10 & Line Noise

mbahr

Hello Gurus!

I've been working on my x10 installation, which is composed of a bunch of 2380 switchlincs, keypadlincs, etc. so it can be controlled by some home automation software, which is talking to the setup via the new Insteon PLM (Power Line Modem) which is feeding x10 commands. I've had occasional failures of the system to recognize x10 coimmands sent by the PLM.

I've just purchased a Monterey Instruments Power Line Signal Analyzer. Oddly, it notes alot of noise on the line (1.5 volts or greater) whenever I ask my automation software to do a status request.

Question 1: Does anyone know how the Monterey Instructions device decides what is noise and what is not?

Question 2: Does anyone know if the Insteon PLM is prone to creating "noise"?

Many thanks for all responses!

-Mike

Do you know the Firmware version in your 2412S PLM? On a sticker rear of the case. I have seen messages on the Simplehomenet that their modules do not correctly do X10 signals with firmware 4A.
When the Insteon PLM or any module is sending a power line signal . It could look like noise to some analyzers. My ELK ESM1 X10 signal meter shows an Insteon signal as noise as it can not decode the signal and thinks it is just noise. My 2414S/U PLC and 2412S PLM doesn't seem to make noise when sitting idle just receiving from the power line.
Do you have a phase coupler or repeater between the phases of the home? If some areas of the setup have weak signals or noise you may have to try and find signal suckers and noise makers.

Do you know the Firmware version in your 2412S PLM? On a sticker rear of the case. I have seen messages on the Simplehomenet that their modules do not correctly do X10 signals with firmware 4A.
When the Insteon PLM or any module is sending a power line signal . It could look like noise to some analyzers. My ELK ESM1 X10 signal meter shows an Insteon signal as noise as it can not decode the signal and thinks it is just noise. My 2414S/U PLC and 2412S PLM doesn't seem to make noise when sitting idle just receiving from the power line.
Do you have a phase coupler or repeater between the phases of the home? If some areas of the setup have weak signals or noise you may have to try and find signal suckers and noise makers.

The version I have says this on the back: Power Line Modem #2412s

A sticker indicates "V2.0 0863"
Another sticker indicates "05.E8.A1"
Another sticker indicates "2412S 0652"
Another sticker indicates "0720FIRM4A REV 2.3"

So.... Do I need to find a way to update the firmware??

-Mike

Not sure on the Firmware. You do have 4A. It could be a Simplehomenets firmware and the PLM firmware thing or a general thing. So far I have only seen messages on their forums pages. They are saying by maybe next week they will be using 5.2.
Is it in any one area. If so it could be a signal problem.
My own tests with the Demo version of Docklight [what Smarthome/Smartlabs used in their literature] my old 2.4 did not like X10 or Set IM Config. commands. 4A seems to be better in commands from Docklight.
If you did not get the PLM Modem Developers Guide the link for it was on the 2412S web page for all to download.

Back