X10 signal sucker

SteveQ

Is there a way to find out if a device is sucking up an X10 signal thereby preventing it from reaching X10 devices?

About a week ago, several of my X10 modules stopped responding to Homeseer. I was amazed when I discovered that this was caused when I started working with an old computer from my daughter (Dell PowerEdge 1300-running Win 2000 server). When I added this to my home network, the problems started. Even when it was turned off, it was interfering with my X10 setup. Simply by unplugging it, all the X10 interference was gone! Now everything is working perfectly again.

I am thinking about adding another computer (maybe the PowerEdge or perhaps something else) to my home network on the lower level of the house. What can I do to minimize X10 signal absorbtion? Does a UPS help or hurt? What kind of line filter is recommended for a computer?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Steve Q

I beleive UPSs actually cause more interference. Use a few Filterlincs (http://www.smarthome.com/1626-10.html). They block all the interference. Works perfectly for me.

Yep, Filterlinc's work well. Also, AutomatedOutlet will "loan" you an X10 signal tester. Simply order on their page (and pay for) but return after you are done. A very nice service, although I didn't return mine :)

This is the one that I got - but I don't see mention of the loaner program here. You may have to call....

Ditto on the filterlincs. They work well, and should be put on the UPS if you use one. Computers, many TVs, some stereo equipment and UPS devices are all known signal suckers. I wouldn't worry about testing if the problem goes away when you unplug a particular device. Just slap a filterlinc on it and be on your merry way.

Don't rule anything out as a possible signal sucker. I haven't had it happen, but I've even heard of something as innocuous as a cell phone charger being a major signal sucker.
The first thing to do when you suddenly loose signal is think "What new or different thing have I plugged in lately."

Yes even the least thought of change can be a problem. Like even moving your cell phone charger to a different outlet.
In the X10 Forums I have even see the new computeriezed appliances like a washer dryer combo kill X10 signals and I would guess Insteon signals also.
I have seen computer power supplies absorbe signals or make tons of powerline noise. Even when the computer is off, the supply is running in standby mode. So when you hit the on button an enable signal starts the supply in full mode.
I have used a Smarthome 10 amp FilterLinc on my APC BX1000 UPS as it was killing my X10 signals.

Yes even the least thought of change can be a problem. Like even moving your cell phone charger to a different outlet.
In the X10 Forums I have even see the new computeriezed appliances like a washer dryer combo kill X10 signals and I would guess Insteon signals also.
I have seen computer power supplies absorbe signals or make tons of powerline noise. Even when the computer is off, the supply is running in standby mode. So when you hit the on button an enable signal starts the supply in full mode.
I have used a Smarthome 10 amp FilterLinc on my APC BX1000 UPS as it was killing my X10 signals.

Thanks to all, I installed a UPS yesterday and forgot to use a filter! No problems so far, but I just added a filter, just in case, better to be 'safe than sorry'. :)

Also, just from my own past 'learning the hard way' experience. There are two types of X-10 type filters. Some block all X-10 (frequency) signals and some only pass X-10 signals. Most UPSs employ some type of filtering, so, if you plug an X-10 transceiver into a UPS, it may filter out (kill) your X-10 communications. I did a big 'oops' with that on my very first X-10 set up many years ago.

Ken

Ken; Yes many absorbe X10 signals and some when on battery can fry a module. Modified Sine Wave AC and TM751s do not mix.
I did make a smoke generator with that test. :)

Thanks everybody for the great suggestions.

Even after years of using X10 stuff, I keep finding problems which pop up at times. Just today I discovered that my yard light was not turning ON. I spent an hour trying to trouble shoot the X10module and Homeseer. Then I discovered the circuit breaker had tripped!

Steve Q

Thanks everybody for the great suggestions.

Even after years of using X10 stuff, I keep finding problems which pop up at times. Just today I discovered that my yard light was not turning ON. I spent an hour trying to trouble shoot the X10module and Homeseer. Then I discovered the circuit breaker had tripped!

Steve Q

You would be surprised at what sucks the signal. The weirdest one was when I bought a Waterpik flosser and it caused major problems. It was one of the worse items I have ever come across that sucked signals. It must be the type of charger on the unit. I have several filters around the house and also did not return the X10 signal meter I borrowed for AO.

John

Steve Q

Now THAT'S the ultimate signal sucker! :)

Back