*** XEP not working any more with AOL...

Mp333

Hello - I had XEP running on AOL account for a while. It has stopped working for a bit. Has anything changed on Elk side or AOL. I have tried yahoo and still does not work. I have tried different port no's.
I tried gmail and it blocked the Elk XEP because it doesn't meet gmail's security standards.At I know the XEP is able to push a message out.

Any other mail servers that work?

Thank you 

Are you using these settings:

https://help.aol.com/articles/how-do-i-use-other-email-applications-to-send-and-receive-my-aol-mail

Protocol Server SettingsPort SettingsPOP 3 Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.aol.com
 Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.aol.comPOP3-995-SSL
SMTP-465-SSLIMAP Incoming mail server (IMAP): imap.aol.com
 Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.aol.comIMAP-993-SSL
SMTP-465-SSL

One possibility since they use SSL/TLS is that the XEP doesn't have the appropriate root certificates which would mean that it wouldn't trust the mail servers.  What a device/application does is up to how the device/application is configured to handle that.  That would be something Elk would be in control of.  Given that you said you tried other email providers, that tells me that it is a certificate issue.  Are you running the latest software from Elk?

Ianbrown - I am using smtp.aol.com.
Looks like I am one version behind on M1g, XEP and RP.. I have attached image. The reason I didn't update earlier on is because I remember folks here having issues after the update. My panel had been running ok for a while until now.

I wonder if other members using AOL is working fine...

Attachments

• FW.JPG
    FW.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 4
  • FW1.JPG
    FW1.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 2
Not many people are using AOL these days.

You could reach out to Elk and ask them if the update would solve this issue or if they know how to fix it.  Chances are it deals with a certificate issue.  You could try a service that still offers SMTP on a non-encrypted port of 25.

Like this:
https://www.smtp2go.com/pricing/

Interesting Ianbrown. Will this with smtp2go free account?
I wonder what others are using for mail servers including smtp2go...

Mp333 said:
Hello - I had XEP running on AOL account for a while. It has stopped working for a bit. Has anything changed on Elk side or AOL. I have tried yahoo and still does not work. I have tried different port no's.
I tried gmail and it blocked the Elk XEP because it doesn't meet gmail's security standards.At I know the XEP is able to push a message out.

Any other mail servers that work?

Thank you 
Using gmail here, just tested still working. Need to setup gmail to use elk as a 3rd party app with its own password.

sbwright said:
Using gmail here, just tested still working. Need to setup gmail to use elk as a 3rd party app with its own password.
SBwright - How do you go about setting that up? Never used it that way.

I appreciate it.

Thank you

Got it to work with google using gmail user & password. Need to figure out how to another password for third party app.

Didn't see 3rd app option in the Gmail. Just setup another email account only for Elk and turned on Less secure app access in Google account. Seems to be working for now. Hope this helps others.

Mp333 said:
SBwright - How do you go about setting that up? Never used it that way.

I appreciate it.

Thank you
google search - Using 3rd party apps with gmail
 Tried entering URL's but cocoontech seems to have browser issues

sbwright said:
google search - Using 3rd party apps with gmail
 Tried entering URL's but cocoontech seems to have browser issues
sbwright - For some reason I do not see Manage 3rd party access under Security under my account....

Mp333 said:
sbwright - For some reason I do not see Manage 3rd party access under Security under my account....
Seems they have changed the menu systems in gmail since that document. I looked at my account and here is how I get to where I've added ELK as an approved user of gmail. After logging into the gmail acct.:

Select "Settings" icon top right corner of browser window
Select "See All Settings", first item under "Quick settings"
Select tab "Accounts and Import"
Under "Change account settings" Select "Other Google Account settings"
In the left Column select menu item "Security"
In the Box "Signing in to Google" select "App passwords" follow directions to add ELK

Hope this helps

Hey sbwright. Thanks for all the info. Yeah it takes you to the same page as Google accounts. I still do not see App passwords. Here is a screen shot.

Attachments

• sg.JPG
    sg.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 3
Mp333 said:
Hey sbwright. Thanks for all the info. Yeah it takes you to the same page as Google accounts. I still do not see App passwords. Here is a screen shot.
Here is my screen shot, the only diff I see is that I have 2FA turned on, when you turn it on it will allow you to add the App and get a password.

Attachments

• gmail1.PNG
    gmail1.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 2
Back