Zigbee Interface

nexus99

I am thinking of buying the Zigbee interface and an Omnistat 2.

Are most people just sticking the inteface in the attic above their panel? Or wall mounting it somehow beside the panel? Does this unit really need to be anywhere accessable? If so I would need to run a long cable... which really kills my need for the wireless. (My only goal is to use Zigbee with an Omnistat2 at this point.)

Its been around for a few months at least.

I was hoping that hte zigbee inteface would just be a module you plug into the board. But it looks like some type of control pad that you have to put some place accessable.

The Zigbee Interface Module (ZIM) is a device you plug into the controller via RS485. This allows the controller to send and receive Zigbee signals. You are welcome to run this device across the house, but is not necessary. You can easily place this ZIM right next to your wiring can (inside the wiring can is not the best for RF). As long as the range is not too taxed (200-300 feet) everything should work fine. The ZIM does allow access to the thermostat and can be used to view and change the thermostat attribute (setpoints), so it may be desirable to place this at a location that you want a mimi control point, but not necessary.

Also remember to get the Zigbee version of the Omnistat2, and not the regular Omnistat2.

Thanks,
Ryan

Any word on whether the HAI ZIM will work with Southern California Edison smart meters?

No they will not. The ZIM is a Home Automation Zigbee Coordinator. As of right now you cannot bridge Home Automation and Smart Energy Zigbee networks. We are looking into possible solutions for the future to accomplish this. We do provide a line of Smart Energy versions of our products, but those are usually acquired from companies directly related to the Smart Meter program in your area.

Thanks,
Ryan

So, if you are using a Zigbee Omnistat2, you would need the ZIM for the OmniPro to control the thermostat and you then need a separate Smart Energy controller that would also talk to the Omnistat2?

Are the possible future solutions "potentially" going to be a flash update to the ZIM to allow the single interface?

These 2 separate profiles (Smart Energy and Home Automation) are really becoming a pain. Some manufacturers are now holding off with implementing ZigBee because they don't know which profile to choose, as each profile requires its own ZigBee chip.

Wow, and I thought ZWave was a pain and Zigbee was going to be better. Obviously not! Is there a Zigbee primer somewhere that outlines how the profiles work and what can interact with what? It seems ridiculous that in using a home automation system like HAI that I would need different hardware to interface to the different Zigbee networks. Is this something the power companies wanted for the Smart Energy profile so that they could set their own rules of interoperability and not have to work with the HA vendors? This sounds like it was probably a political issue that caused the interoperability problems.

The current HAI Zigbee methodology shows a Zigbee serially connected PIM and a control pad for the HAI Panel.

My current Omnistat2 shows a Zigbee configuration. This Omnistat2 was shipped to me replacing an older one.

I have not looked inside of the thermostat to see if there is a Zigbee chip in it. Would it indeed have a Zigbee chip?

I would like to "test" the Zigbee configuration purchasing the necessary hardware to connect to my HAI OPII panel.

The Omnistat2 is currently connected to the OPII panel via a serial connection. If it does indeed have a Zigbee chip; can I test the thermostat in both serial and Zigbee modes?

Ryan,

Is there a way to find out whether I have a Zigbee radio in my Omnistat2?

The Zigbee menu's are all present when look.

I would like to purchase the HAI Zigbee PIM and controller if my Omnistat2 has the Zigbee radio in it.

I didn't purchase it. It was shipped to me a few months back to replace another Omnistat2 which I had RMA'd to HAI.

The reason I ask is becuase the ZigBee versions have only been shipping for a little over a month. If you got it before then, it is most likely not ZigBee. Also, the ZigBee versions have a different part number. The firmware has had ZigBee options in it for some time becuase they were supposed to come out sooner.

Back