Zigbee light module with Comcast Home Security

oneyejack77

I'm having Comcast Home Security installed in my house this week and have been looking for light swithches with not much luck.  Comcast does not offer in-wall switches yes, but there system is Zigbee compatible.  Does anyone have recomendations that they know will work.  I'd like to get the square/white switches to match the rest of my house.

I want to go with Comcast for the home automation so I can control the alarm functiality, cameras, sensors and lights all through one interface.

So far I bought and Xbee Maxstream controler off ebay that had a zigbee chip in it, I tried it at a friends house only to find out that the system doesnt recognize it and can not be paired.  After some more research, it seems this module has some proprietary setup that wont work with the controler Comcast uses.

Any help for this newb would be appreciated.

Welcome to CocoonTech!

It really depends on what implementation of ZigBee XFinity is using.  I saw some references to Comcast relying on CentraLite hardware, which offers both a proprietary implementation of ZigBee (CentraLite JetStream), and the open standard version, also called 'ZigBee Home Automation' (CentraLite Azela).  Either way, it won't be easy to come up with a DIY solution.

Zigbee is far from DIY friendly. I would not use Comcast or Zigbee for HA or Security.

Are you a techie? There are ways of accomplishing this on you own. This whole site is dedicated to it!

UPB, Insteon, Zwave, etc... would be a better solution for lighting from what I have learned and heard from others.

I actually work for Comcast, so we get a real niceeee discount that why I'm going to stick with this solution if possible.  The components we use are CentraLite.  I looked at the Jet Stream modules, but they are $75 a pop.  I don't really want to pay that much if I'm not sure it's going to pair up.  Id rather not wait till our warehouse starts carrying the correct modules either, although it's looking like that may be the best bet.

oneyejack77 said:
I actually work for Comcast, so we get a real niceeee discount that why I'm going to stick with this solution if possible.  The components we use are CentraLite.  I looked at the Jet Stream modules, but they are $75 a pop.  I don't really want to pay that much if I'm not sure it's going to pair up.  Id rather not wait till our warehouse starts carrying the correct modules either, although it's looking like that may be the best bet.

Whatever money you are saving will be lost in more expensive add-ons, monthly fees, and aggravation. If you are a DIY-type (which you seem to be since you're here), you're doing yourself a disservice by going with Comcast. Just my $0.02 :)

Welcome to the forum!

I personally would like to see how the new XFinity HA works. 

Tell us some more about the features set and what will XFinity be providing to the end user?

Give us an inside view.

What exactly is XFinity providing?

I'll update when it's done.  It believe the CentraLite Azela relays and dimmers should work.  I've looked all over online and have not had much luck finding someone who sells them though, atleast at a reasonable price.

I don't know what Comcast HA system provides, but my friend has centralite wireless switches, and they are really nice. To my knowledge they are the only zigbee switches that you can get for DIY install. Comparable automated switches are just as expensive, otherwise they lack in features, reliability and ability to integrate with other HA components. Centralite switches just work and are very easy to configure with centralite software. They support instant status update and have a longer range compare to z-wave switches, so you won't need too many in order to make the mesh operational.  Presumably you could also add zigbee door locks and thermostats if they are supported by comcast controller. If you decide to go with Azela, consider getting 3-button switches, as you'll get an option to control 2 extra things (other loads or scenes) in addition to the primary load.

oneeyejack77, you are correct, the xfinity compatible zigbee switches are only available to consumers from the cable companies.  They are the Centralite Azela switches.  We do sell them as a special order and may stock them in the future.  

As I understand it, both the Jetstream and the Azela products will work with Xfinity, but the Azela products are really the only ones to use with Xfinity as the Jetstream will not utilize all its functions like the Azela is designed to do.  Jetstream products work together as a mesh network and communicate with each device directly & individually.  The Azela products require a central controller (like the xfinity) for their commands and do not speak directly to each other, only to and from the controller.

I am new to selling zigbee products so am not an expert (yet) but unless I misunderstood something, that is basically how it was explained to me by the manufacturer and my supplier recently.  Picta is also correct in what he says, the Azela line is what Comcast provides to their customers, I believe, they cost $89.95, and come in one or 3 button design, I think in four colors.

New to the forums as well, so Hi to everyone, in my first post.  Hope it helps!

oneyejack77 said:
I want to go with Comcast for the home automation so I can control the alarm functiality, cameras, sensors and lights all through one interface.

I have this and don't have to pay a monthly fee...  ^_^ 

I've been waiting for these subscription based HA options to start popping up - to see if the concept actually takes off.  Drvnbysound has a point - even if the price is awesome today, if they're locking you into a product that's semi-proprietary, that would be a crappy situation should you change jobs and lose your discount, or they drop the product line, etc.

Some people around here generally are against the cloud/subscription based systems because many of us already have systems that have a single interface to control everything we want from anywhere in the world, and we don't pay monthly monitoring fees and have absolutely no lock-in to anyone; and in a case like mine, I went with UPB which is a protocol licensed to several manufacturers and supported by many products so I have no lock-in - a good thing when you spend a few grand on light switches.  And I paid a lot less for my switches than the prices listed above.

I always try to consider Total Ownership Costs for as long as I plan to own/maintain a particular technology, sensor, or system.

Back