"Zone Trouble" on keypad, but no zones in trouble

smolino

I have a strange problem with a new Elk M1G install. After installing all components and zone equipment, I have a "Zone Trouble" indication on the keypad display but I don't appear to have any zones in trouble and I am unable to clear the indication.

Looking in the RP Status display, all zones are shown as "Normal".
The Log does not show any trouble indications
I did a "System Trouble Poll" via the M1XEP and it returned all status normal

I'm hoping this is a simple problem I'm overlooking.

Any thoughts on what else to look for?

I would go through your zone definitions and make sure they are all setup with the correct settings (ie eol supervised type stuff).

I've been through them a number of times and don't see anything amiss (may be a forest for the trees problem). If something is misconfigured resulting in a trouble indication on the keypad, shouldn't there be some other indication in zone status or the log also showing the trouble?
I'm thinking of disabling each zone, one at a time, to see if I can get the trouble to disappear.
I'm also not sure if the display trouble will disappear spontaneously when I hit the problem zone or if the panel has to be power cycled to clear it?

How about EOLR's....do they exist and if so (or not) is the definition within the panel fit (either 2, 3 or 4 state zone supervision)?

Could also be an incorrect value EOLR if they're installed.

Fire alarm or other device that expects an EOLR or specific wiring configuration could also be incorrect.

Del: I'm going to check all of that again. Do you know why or how I can have a "Zone Trouble" indication on the keypad and not have the zone status display show a zone in trouble?

Is your "ready" light on?

Are you sure you haven't accidentally defined a zone that has nothing hooked up to it?

Do the zones all read 7'ish volts (assuming eol resistors?)

If none of that comes up with anything, you might just go through and define all of your zones as disabled, then start adding them back in one at a time.

Ready light is on.
All zones are hooked up and terminated
All supervised zones show 7.1 to 7.3 volts
several unsupervised N/C zones show zero volts

I think I'm going to have to disable all the zones and re-enable them one at a time until I see the trouble indication. Kind of a pain with 38 zones, but I'm not sure what else to try.

While I've never heard of anyone needing to reboot an Elk main panel, you might try that first.  Unplug the battery and the power, then restart it.

Also you may consider re-enrolling your expanders?  

Yea, I'm with Lou, I'm wondering if it is some type of expander or keypad problem because you don't see any violations in RP.

Well, that was interesting, I removed the XIN and re-enrolled it and the trouble condition disappeared. Thanks for the suggestion, and although I have no idea why that worked, I am very happy it did.

Back