Zoned HVAC - What Do I Need to Know?

Louise

Hello,

I'm building a new home and we are meeting with the HVAC contractor later this week.

I've purchased the Elk M1 Gold (yet to arrive) and when I talk to the contractor I need to know how I can connect the M1 to the HVAC board that will control the dampers for each zone.

I plan to use the AprilAire thermostats.

What do I need to know to make sure I can connect the two?

Thanks,

Louise
My Home Under Construction

You need to know what thermostat(s) can be used with the HVAC system that you're considering. The RCS thermostats and zone controller can be used for a zoned system and the Elk sees each zone's thermostat as an independant system (ie: each zone has its own setpoint, etc). It is then the thermostats and zone controller that make the system deliver the required heating or cooling to the zones.

I don't know about the Aprilaire thermostats. If you have the model number, post it here and someone familiar with them might be able to give you a better answer.

What I was told by the pros is for HVAC you are generally better off letting them do what they normally do and swap out thermos later. Unless the HVAC contractor is already experienced with automation you are best off not introducing it to them.

You basically need to find out what system/equipment they put in and then do the research to see how to automated that. At least thats what the pro installers are being taught.

That makes sense. I will just swap out the thermostats later as I learn more about the Elk and what all I can do.

Thanks

Louise

Steve said:
What I was told by the pros is for HVAC you are generally better off letting them do what they normally do and swap out thermos later.
Don't forget your pre-wiring needs while the house is being built. Make sure you can get from the thermostat to the M1.

Back