zwave setup: alternatives to VRUSB-1US USB installer tool?

Ben lost me here

1. n SmartThings App
    Add new device(s)

[*]On SmartThings web site (https://graph.api.smartthings.com)
[*]First you will need to add a new device type called Accessory Switch (see below)
[*]Select My Devices tab
[*]Make note of the Device Network ID of your secondary controller you will need this later
Make a note of WHAT?   Smart Things doesn't identify the ID.   The app has little to say about the secondary controller.   It's named Leviton Remote.  So what do I do here?  I'm Dead In the Water.  
This is why these instructions are of no use to me.   Perhaps I'm too newb for this.  

Here are his instructions:

Collaborative sourced from jkmonroe, batwater, ivb
v1.0 2/25/2016
Steps to add a device(s) to the SmartThings Hub and a Secondary ZWAVE controller like the VRC0P that CQC can recognize and react to
  1. In SmartThings App
    Add new device(s)

[*]First you will need to add a new device type called Accessory Switch (see below)
[*]Select My Devices tab
[*]Make note of the Device Network ID of your secondary controller you will need this later
[*]Select your newly added device by clicking on the hyperlink of the name of your device (the device will have a hyperlink name in the Display Name Column)
[*]Click on Edit at bottom
[*]Make note of the device type *** Important ***
[*]Change device type to Accessory Switch  (from step 1)
[*]To associate to VRC0P (or other secondary Controller)
  1. Go to Preferences box click edit
  2. Set to association group 1 and assign the Target switch Device Network ID of the secondary controller (from step 3)
  3. Wake the device up
  4. Save and immediately wake the device up again to receive programming

[*]Set the device type back to what was noted in step 4
[*]Repeat steps 4 - 9 for each new device
[*]There is no dedicated replicate button.
[*]If you follow these steps exactly, you will successfully replicate to the VRC0P.
[*]Open your ST app and walk to your VRC0P
[*]Press the button on the VRC0P until it turns amber (not red, amber/orange)
[*]Hit 'Connect New Device' (the top option under Marketplace in the SmartThings app)
[*]Once the VRC0P button turns green back out of the "New Device scan"
[*]     In CQC in the ZWave Device Driver config hit the rescan button
[*]     Configure your device(s) - Note it is possible to add multiple devices and then update in CQC
[*]Replicate to the VRCOP (from jkmonroe)
[*]CQC
New Device Type (from jkmonroe)
We need to configure the non-beaming devices to associate back to the VRC0P. Since the VRC0P/CQC will never see these devices, this step must be done manually. It is the most complex part of making this all work.
  1. Log into the SmartThings API at https://graph.api.smartthings.com/
  2. Across the top, click ‘My Device Types’
  3. On the right, click the green box that says + New Device Type
  4. the top of this form has 3 tabs, click ‘From Code’
  5. VERY IMPORTANT TO ONLY DO THE ABOVE
  6. PLEASE DON'T FILL OUT ANY RANDOM INFORMATION
  7. JUST CLICK FROM CODE
  8. Copy the code found at this url https://gist.github.com/mckeed/182cc9689299e20af17b from the word metadata to the closing } at the end
  9. Paste in the code
  10. again, don’t make any changes
  11. With the code pasted into the window, hit Publish and then "For Me"
  12. Now hit Save
  13. At the very top of the screen, click ‘My Device Types’ again
  14. you should see a namespace called ‘mckeed : Accessory Switch’

jkmonroe said:
Yes.

With SmartThings as the primary controller, you need to include the VRC0P, and then need to follow the directions Ben typed up.  

Bzncrewjr said:
Ben lost me here

1. n SmartThings App
    Add new device(s)

[*]Select My Devices tab
Make a note of WHAT?   Smart Things doesn't identify the ID.   The app has little to say about the secondary controller.   It's named Leviton Remote.  So what do I do here?  I'm Dead In the Water.  
This is why these instructions are of no use to me.   Perhaps I'm too newb for this.  

it does.  in the website, you need to grab the z-wave node number of the VRC0P.

I gotta tell you, if it's this hard to get my VRC0P on my Z-wave network and my Omni panel to talk to it, I may abandon the Omni for automation stuffs.

There is a HUGE SmartThings community and it can do so much that the Omni panel once did.   Why should I lunk around the Omni Panel for HA stuff?
SmartThings has so many development tools.   It's quite rich.   Doesn't talk to my alarm switches and stuff, but does have some really cool HA tools.   
At this point, I think I'm cutting bait with my VRC0P and going with Smartthings.    
Their smartphone app is already so much better (and cheaper) than Leviton.
And I just discovered SmartTiles.   This changes so much.

--Russ

Back