zwave touch screen control panel that is NOT iOS/Android

npa412

Hello,
Was about to pull the trigger on C4, but then realized what a closed-off system it was from a DIY standpoint.
I would like to run a wired z-wave HA network - what I mean is that aside from z-wave band communication, no other wireless signals should be present. Therefore, there will be no wi-fi (802.11x) connectivity. The problem is that I haven't come across any wall mount display panels that utilize ethernet communications. No iOS device has an ethernet port and I have yet to come across an android tablet that supports ethernet. Is there something, like Control4's display panel that has an ethernet port and can display some sort of interface to micasaverde or some other controller? Ideally, the display device would be POE, but I don't mind pulling power wires to the ethernet location already in the wall. I would even be willing to compromise and go with Z-Wave communication to the device, but I can't believe that the only option is 802.11x communication from such a display. Someone out there must have come up with a solution to this scenario I hope.
thanks

Welcome to CocoonTech!

They exist, but you probably would have to get in touch directly with a Chinese manufacturer. I personally use a PoE based Windows XP in-wall touch screen (running HSTouch), but it's a lot more expensive than an iOS device (plus not as flexible). There are some in-wall CE devices as well, but I am not aware of a nice CE based interface for the Vera controllers.

I'm not sure why you are so dead set against 802.11x. If security is that much of a concern, then you probably shouldn't run a wireless home automation platform anyways. Can you share the reasons why the refusal of using wireless Ethernet?

Thanks. Do you have a link to the touch screen you're referring to - sounds exactly like what I'm looking for if it's all self-contained and POE powered. I'm not anti 802.11, but 802.11 communications are high-powered compared to z-wave/zigbee. I know it's non-ionizing radiation, but it's still high-power, which I think (tin foil hat on or not) is not good for the body. Look at the latest router manuals - they're starting to mention that you not put the equipment closer than 30 inches to a person - why is that? Anyway, our house is wi-fi free (and yes, our cell phones go into scheduled airplane mode in the evening) and I'd like to minimize emissions where possible. That's why I'm also looking into UPB instead of z-wave, but like I said, z-wave is low-power tx, so not too concerned.

yikes! I wish they would charge less for those! I could really use one or two. The HCA touchscreen interface won't do HTML displays unless its running on windows because it leverages IE...

Do any of those run standalone and boot Windows/Windows embedded? HCA software needs to be installed on the panel itself then run as a client in touchscreen UI mode. It communicates with the HCA server and handles the UI. It's not automation technology based.

The one I mentioned can run XP (that's what I use), Borg Displays support XPe as well. The ELK system runs Windows CE.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't want to run a PC or a dedicated WinXP device just for the purpose of running a display or having the display itself requiring some embedded OS to run. BTW, to the person who suggested an iPad with a wall mount... no TCP/IP communications via the apple connector (everything needs to go through wi-fi unless I dock for music) So, I've decided to go UPB and avoid radio tx altogether; going with HAI and their wall-mounted touch screens as they are POE. I know I'll miss out some z-wave stuff, but I can access that through a bridge to HAI.

An alternate solution, albeit a bit more involved, would be to use a Windows XP Embedded or Windows 7 embedded thin client with an external (touch) screen. The screen could be mounted on the wall and the thin client in a closet near it. It would give access to a web browser for easy flexibility,

Another solution would be an Android tablet with an ethernet dongle or port allowing wired connections. I doubt you can get PoE there.

Examples
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/7-touch-screen-tft-lcd-google-android-1-6-tablet-pc-w-wifi-camera-via-wm8505-arm926-44080?r=41149883
http://9to5google.com/2011/09/05/from-china-10-1-inch-android-tablet-with-ethernet-port/

Get an Asus transformer and use this:

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/connect-to-the-web-with-your-transformer-via-an-ethernet-cable/

Back