Elk interface with iPhone

Yes, it is in the works. It was demonstrated at the EHX and ISC Shows. I do not have a release date yet because it is still in the software writing stage.

the new 3G iPhone comes out July 11. i'd love to be able to get one and run ElkRM on it instead of sticking with my 8525.

the new 3G iPhone comes out July 11. i'd love to be able to get one and run ElkRM on it instead of sticking with my 8525.

What's interesting about this, it that Apple will be offering a $199 version of the iPhone. This is probably going to cause the price of used version 1.0 iPhones to plummet. It would nice to pick one of the 1.0 version ones up to use as a whole house remote, as it still has built in WiFi. My thought is that you would not need to have a phone plan to use the WiFi. Interesting possibility...if it works.

What's interesting about this, it that Apple will be offering a $199 version of the iPhone. This is probably going to cause the price of used version 1.0 iPhones to plummet. It would nice to pick one of the 1.0 version ones up to use as a whole house remote, as it still has built in WiFi. My thought is that you would not need to have a phone plan to use the WiFi. Interesting possibility...if it works.
I believe the iPod touch has WiFi capabilities also, but as you said the phone might be cheaper.

You would need to "jailbreak" the iPhone in order to use it without an AT&T plan. This would be fine for a DIYer but not for a client. (Just my two cents)

it should would be nice to get some info on this with the release in 2 days... even if there are no details, at least a projected date on the "next major ElkRM upgrade" would give us something to look forward to.

it should would be nice to get some info on this with the release in 2 days... even if there are no details, at least a projected date on the "next major ElkRM upgrade" would give us something to look forward to.

Cinemar has published iPhone / iTouch webpages for movie selection and weather reporting. The code is there if you want to display ELK zone info if you are using MainLobby connected to the ELK. We just haven't gotten around to building on this, but for someone that is web literate, it's straightforward.

You would need to "jailbreak" the iPhone in order to use it without an AT&T plan. This would be fine for a DIYer but not for a client. (Just my two cents)

Anyone know if an iPhone can be used without it being on an active plan? I wouldn't mind using a couple as remotes if I can just use them via wifi/bluetooth.

Grrr I want a 3G but theres nothing wrong with my first gen, and I live far far away from 3G towers in the Northwoods.

Back