Elk interface with iPhone

"We have developed a lightweight web interface to the ELK M1 that can be found at PocketM1.com"

Help! Where at PocketM1.com? After I registered and signed in, all I saw was a big empty.

Immediately after logging in, you should have a "no system profiles defined" message. There's a "New" link at the bottom of that page. Use it to create a new "system profile" that describes how and where the server is to connect to your M1 controller (IP address/SSL yes or no, thermostats, outputs, etc). Save that profile and then select it on the following page. The connection will be established once you select the profile. If you have multiple M1's in your life, you can create multiple profiles and switch between them.

Note that you must have an M1-XEP (the ethernet interface for the ELK) and you must port forward the proper port (usually TCP 2601 for SSL) from your firewall to your M1. If you encounter troubles (exceptions), a support issue is created automatically for you. If you have questions, issues along the way, please let me know.

You can use any browser--mobile or desktop, as it doesn't really matter at the moment (the same content is rendered to both currently).

Hope this helps/

sdm

Today a new solution for accessing an Elk M1 Gold from an iPhone has been released. A native application is now available in the iPhone app store called eKeypad.

eKeypad is an electronic keypad that runs on your iPhone and allows you to control the alarm system portion of an Elk M1 Gold plus emulation of the function keys on the keypads.

eKeypad.png

You can read more here.

Today a new solution for accessing an Elk M1 Gold from an iPhone has been released. A native application is now available in the iPhone app store called eKeypad.

eKeypad is an electronic keypad that runs on your iPhone and allows you to control the alarm system portion of an Elk M1 Gold plus emulation of the function keys on the keypads.

You can read more here.

Not to knock any software or developer..... but again you must feel comfortable to use these packages
see what I bolded below...

eKeypad said:
eKeypad is connecting to the Elk-M1XEP over a network (either Wifi or the cellular data connection. This connection is NOT secured. Care must be taken to not expose yourself and your alarm panel.

now if someone can develop a secured version for a smartphone... I may give it a shot.. :)

Secure communications was big concern I had myself when I started creating eKeypad. I quickly figured out that even the windows client Elk sells does not use the secured port for communication. eKeypad uses the same interface mechanism Elk RM uses.

This is also why in the instructions I included a specific section on security concerns and recommended only two connectivity options.

1. Only use the application on your local network
2. Use a VPN connection to secure communications.

I wish the use of the secured port was an option.

--
Jayson

You can read more here.

Not to knock any software or developer..... but again you must feel comfortable to use these packages
see what I bolded below...

eKeypad said:
eKeypad is connecting to the Elk-M1XEP over a network (either Wifi or the cellular data connection. This connection is NOT secured. Care must be taken to not expose yourself and your alarm panel.

now if someone can develop a secured version for a smartphone... I may give it a shot.. :)

Does the iPhone support VPN connectivity? This would take care of the security aspect, and also avoid having to expose your M1 directly to the internet. Definitely a step in the right direction. How much is the application (I don't have iTunes installed)?

edit: I just noticed you posted at the same time as I did. Elk M1's secure port uses standard SSL (there is a thread here somewhere that shows how to use OpenSSL to connect to the secure port), if you could add support for that, then you would have a working and secure solution.

Yes, the iPhone has a built in VPN client that supports IPsec, PPTP and LT2P protocols.

--
Jayson

Does the iPhone support VPN connectivity? This would take care of the security aspect, and also avoid having to expose your M1 directly to the internet. Definitely a step in the right direction. How much is the application (I don't have iTunes installed)?

edit: I just noticed you posted at the same time as I did. Elk M1's secure port uses standard SSL (there is a thread here somewhere that shows how to use OpenSSL to connect to the secure port), if you could add support for that, then you would have a working and secure solution.

Dan,

I will look into that ASAP. If it is possible to connect to the secured port then that will be a feature that will quickly rise to the top of the todo stack for eKeypad.

--
Jayson

Ok I am out $9.99 was I the first?
My first impression is I think it is ok, it will arm with the arm buttons but the keypad buttons don't seem to have any response, can't arm or disarm with them.

I am gonna play some more and see if I can get a VPN set up.

kccustom,

That is something I am looking into, but it is low on the todo list.

All of the buttons do turn blue, but it appears that the iPhoneIS is only showing the button "pressed image" while you are physically depressing it. My current theory is that since we know our codes so well, that we type them fast on the keypad screen. So fast you either beat the image change or it happens so fast you do not see it. Linger the keypress a bit longer and you will see the change.

--
Jayson

Ok I am out $9.99 was I the first?
My first impression is I think it is ok, it will arm with the arm buttons but the keypad buttons don't seem to have any response, can't arm or disarm with them.

I am gonna play some more and see if I can get a VPN set up.

I'm not sure my "How To" will help in this case. It focused on providing encrypted communications for the ELKM1::Control module. It involves loading appropriate Perl modules for OpenSSL. Unless the iPhone has a a Perl interpreter, my article will be of limited use. Maybe there's another way to add OpenSSL support on an iPhone?

Kinda cool - I'd like to see it mature to have more features for the automation and tasks/outputs specifically - and HVAC controls - those are what I use my iPhone to do to my system 80% of the time - arming is only for when I'm in bed and don't want to get up (using RDP to ElkRM). Do you have any timelines you hope to meet, and any planned changes in pricing as that happens?

Todd,

I am working on a full featured version with right now.

I will be released as a separate application and support all of the Elk features (thermostats, lights and task have priority). As far as timelines, I hope to have it ready for testing within a couple of weeks. After I finish testing (3 days, 3 weeks it is hard to say), I have to submit it to Apple for further testing (~2 weeks). I will keep the board updated on the progress.

The full version will have a modest price increase.

The idea is to keep a simple version for quick access to basic functionality and a full featured version that gives you full control over the Elk.

--
Jayson

Kinda cool - I'd like to see it mature to have more features for the automation and tasks/outputs specifically - and HVAC controls - those are what I use my iPhone to do to my system 80% of the time - arming is only for when I'm in bed and don't want to get up (using RDP to ElkRM). Do you have any timelines you hope to meet, and any planned changes in pricing as that happens?

Back