Best Software to Rip DVD's to HD for HTPC

Digger said:
Hypothetically how would someone play back the movie once its on teh drive since most programs dont seem to recgnize the TS files.

Sorry for the basic questions but I am not a computer guy more of an alarm guy.
Using DVD decrypter:

Start the app and after it's loaded check the following options:

1. Tools --> Settings --> IFO Mode Tab-- Check "Enable Streram Processing" Select "None" from the file spliting dropdown.
1a. Tools -->Settings --> File Mode Tab -- Select "Main Movie" from the "On Startup, Select Files" Dropdown box.
1b. Click OK to save and exit options.

2. Click Mode --> IFO

3. Insert the DVD and wait for the app to load it. The main movie will be highlighted in the right window.

4. Click the "Stream Processing" tab and select any video and audio stream you want. Typically the video stream and one audio stream is what most would select.

5. On the left/center click the small file-folder to choose a place to make the copy.

6. Click the green "play" button to begin the copy.

What you'll have when it's finished is one large *.vob file that represents the entire movie. Rename it to something meaningful leaving the vob extension, then play it with your choice of videoplayer. Any commercial DVD software should play the VOB file. I use WinDVD.

This is all hypothetical, of course... :)

Theoretically this should work but what if it says an error occured trying to access an un-named file? I wonder what I would do if that happened :)

I will keep pondering this hypothetical problem.

Google for 'dvdfab decrypter' and the first link will let you download the software which shouldn't have any problems with this. This is not the same software as the dvd decrypter software other people are talking about in this thread.

I just got this to work. For whatever reason the last time I did it there was an error. This time looks perfect.

I will try Sage TV tomorrow. If that works I think I will start to build a Server for videos, music, photo's etc and get some Sage extenders.

Thanks to EVERYONE for all of the help for these theoretical problems

:)

Just wondering why you guys want to have your dvd collection on your hard drive?

Do you like watching the same movies over and over? I can see this with kids and their movies.

Or is it just because its *cool* and you can?

Just curious.

I have 2 kids (9 and 5) and we must have almost 200 DVD's. So the 5 year old especially will "dig" through them to find what she wants making a big mess, leave them lying around to get damaged, or misplace them.

Also there are only 3 DVD players and 7 TV's in the house (I know thats a lot). So if we put them all on a HTPC Server and use Sage the DVD's will not be all over the place, they will not get damaged or lost, and they will be viewable on any TV or PC that has Sage.

In addition I think family memebers could share our collection by using Sage and accessing them over the internet.

johnnynine said:
I can see this with kids and their movies.
This is like asking why do you buy movies, when renting them is cheaper. I don't see movies more than once (with a few exceptions), but respect the people that enjoy having and seeing movies several times.

As for the kids, its good enough reason for me. There are about 30 kiddy movies in my home. And I consider each of them a great investment for my otherwise super-hyper 3 yr boy. ;)

I've watched Chronicles of Riddick probably 10x in the 6 weeks that i've owned it. It's just too cool in the H/T with the subwoofer going.

"You keep what you kill. It is the necromancer way".

DavidL said:
SageTV is a PVR software. TheaterTek is a software DVD player. Apples/ oranges.
This may be true, but you can point Sage's Imported Media function to a collection of VOB files (and others) so actually just using sage may work as well.

So you can use sage for now.

Not saying that Theatertek is not a valuable piece of software and will offer greater functionality, but you can choose one later.

For example, I uninstalled my demo of Theatertek and have not looked at zoomplayer to make a decision and it will work.

Sage with the extenders will let me watch movies from the PVR or DVD collection on a TV without the use of a computer at that TV. Its cheaper and easier in my opinion.

An extender is a little over $100 and a cheap pc is a good $400 at the very least. Also the extenders are small.

My wife likes to play movies while she is cooking, usually movies with a good soundtrack or story. It's definitely great for kids, and also great if you have guests, plus it's a huge wow factor ;)

I can definatley see the wow factor and kids dvds makes sense too. I guess I would just have to weigh the cost of the harddrive and time ripping.

Back