Best Software to Rip DVD's to HD for HTPC

johnnynine said:
I guess I would just have to weigh the cost of the harddrive and time ripping.
This is a big dilema. I have tried transcoding to DIVX to save harddisc space (my kid does not complain about the video quality yet), but it takes too many hours to do the conversion (ripping is fast, however).

At the moment I am just going to rip to VOB files and if its 5 gig a movie so be it. Instead of putting all 200 movies on the HTPC which would be a Terrabyte I will probably do about 60 on a 300 gig that I just bought at CompUSA for $79 after rebates etc. (going back for more..... just need to use muliple addresses for the rebates)

When I get my machine built I will move the hard drive over and put another 300 gig for a PVR drive (more than enough) and two more for home videos/pictures and a backup of those.

I will also have a second machine with redundant backup of the home movies/pictures and also use that for editing home movies etc

All of the above as money permits :)

Anyone have the winning Lotto numbers???????????

DVD Dycryptor does not process the whole movie. The most I have gotten is 40 minutes out of 130

Anything out there take a DVD and rip it to something Sage TV will like? I got Sage to work finally.

That does not sound right. You might want to check your settings, I know DVD Decryptor is used by many, and I've never read about that type of issue. In fact many report they use DVD Decryptor exclusively.

The one item I have read is that some have used alternate software packages for a few DVD's that won't rip with DVD Decryptor (I'm guessing as it is not longer supported there must be a few conditions out there that dont work).

The version should be 3.5.4.0 (if this helps) as it is the latest available build.

I got the latest version. It may be a setting problem. The quality is excellent. Can barely tell its not the real DVD. If I can get thsi to work should score enough points with the wife to let me buy the Large Screen LCD HDTV.

I have to look into that electron. I was trying to use a single program but it just doesnt want to work.

Do you use Sage?

I use MCE, but DVD shrink lets you rip the DVD any way you want, I prefer ISO's without any compression, and use daemon tools to mount them as a virtual dvd. I use DVDfab to strip DRM because otherwise I can't play the DVD on my MCE system (macrovision kicks in when playing protected content at 1080i over an analog interface). Only the newer releases seem to have this DRM stuff, so in many cases, you might get away with just using DVD shrink.

Cool. I will have to look into this tonight. Hopefully they have a free trial to see if it works.

Hi Digger,

Don't know if my post is too late. I've read some part of the threads and they recommended to you the DVD Decrypter tool. I concur that this is an awesome tool. One tip though - even if DVD Decrypter can rip some DVD's with security key, sometimes it fails. What I usually do is play the DVD for 1 minute on the same machine I'm ripping. This way, the keys get stored somewhere in the memory. I usually play it with PowerDVD, however, this is not free. So once I've played it, I closed PowerDVD then I run DVD Decrypter. This now creates vob files. Then to make it cleaner, I use DVD shrink to create an .iso image file of the .vob files. You have to make sure though that your movie player in your HTPC box supports playing of .iso files. Most of them does.

I'm also going to try electron's tool. It's the first time I've heard it.

Neil

DVD Dycryptor works great except I find it doenst rip the entire movie. One examples is a movie that is 1 hour 28 mins and it rips to 41 minutes.

It may be a problem with the setting I am using but so far I cant figure it out.

I am using SAGE TV to view the files on remote extenders etc. Qualtiy is actually excellent.

Digger said:
DVD Dycryptor works great except I find it doenst rip the entire movie. One examples is a movie that is 1 hour 28 mins and it rips to 41 minutes.

It may be a problem with the setting I am using but so far I cant figure it out.
How many vob files do you end up with? If you didn't change the file splitting option, then you will have multiple 1gig files that will be around 20ish minutes each. With 41 minutes, it sounds like you may be splitting the movie into 2 gig chunks.
Terry

Back