DIY HAI?

Thanks, Greer. Good to know. Thanks for proving otherwise!

Would Myro:home be a competitor for HAI Automation Studio? That is, do they do the same thing?

Myro Home is an interface software for touchscreens/pcs. Automation Studio will be for customizing the interface on HAI OmniTouch 5.7e and OmniTouch Portable 8/10 touchscreens.

I have installed both several times. The elk is a bit easer and tec support is better. However the HAI intergrates better and you can do alot more with it. I switched our show room to HAI because of that. Overall HAI is a more compleate solution however I still sell more elk systems they just look better and are cheaper side by side and cheaper to install. One day I may get some HAI touch screens in and mount them and that may change sales a bit because the HAI will look better than the elk then but for now people look a thte keypads and cost and if they want an alarm and basic stuff they just buy the elk. If they want more and to intragrate severl systems HAI is the way to go. If you are reading this thread you probably want HAI.

Thanks, Greer. Good to know. Thanks for proving otherwise!

Would Myro:home be a competitor for HAI Automation Studio? That is, do they do the same thing?

Myro Home is an interface software for touchscreens/pcs. Automation Studio will be for customizing the interface on HAI OmniTouch 5.7e and OmniTouch Portable 8/10 touchscreens.

You guys are correct, Myro:Home is not a Automation Studio. It's an interface software that integrates a few other elements that HAI currently does not (roadmap includes a lot more). Automation Studio cannot create an exact Myro:Home replica since the interface is not made up of images but rather vectors and logic to do the animations and the rich details like blurs, shadows, dimming, etc. If anything, Myro:Home is closer to the former Convergent Living product than the Automation Studio. The Automation Studio is a great addition to the HAI product line and has a definite purpose.

Myro:Home also works on any Windows PC/Touchscreen/Panel as well as a soon to be released Myro Control hardware.

Cheers,
Danny

I have installed both several times. The elk is a bit easer and tec support is better. However the HAI intergrates better and you can do alot more with it. I switched our show room to HAI because of that. Overall HAI is a more compleate solution however I still sell more elk systems they just look better and are cheaper side by side and cheaper to install. One day I may get some HAI touch screens in and mount them and that may change sales a bit because the HAI will look better than the elk then but for now people look a thte keypads and cost and if they want an alarm and basic stuff they just buy the elk. If they want more and to intragrate severl systems HAI is the way to go. If you are reading this thread you probably want HAI.
I am curious as to what makes it easier? My concern in choosing between the two is that there is a forum full of Elk users here which have run into every possible problem and potentially not as many HAI users...or at least they haven't been as vocal in the past.

I am also wondering what "do a lot more with it" refers to? I was under the impression that they were pretty comparable panels from searching and reading other threads.

And of course, I'd love more details on the "if you are reading this thread you probably want HAI". Not that I disagree, but with the documentation available I am having a hard time differentiating what will be beneficial of either panel for my install. My guess is the same pains of searching forever and not finding this information is exactly what Neurorad is going through.

I think the problem here is being too used to using the internet for everything. If I remember correctly a few distributors have already offered to send documentation to anyone who needs it. If you are really interested in HAI, try using the telephone or email. Not everything is an anonymous connection over the internet, although sometimes maybe I wish it was. Call you local pro or home distributor and get the documentation. Try asking a question here, the HAI guys have been quite responsive so far. If not there are other forums full of HAI installers who like to help out. Yeah, ELK feels easier when you are on cocoontech, but if you really want HAI, don't let a phone call stop you!

I am curious as to what makes it easier? My concern in choosing between the two is that there is a forum full of Elk users here which have run into every possible problem and potentially not as many HAI users...or at least they haven't been as vocal in the past.

I am also wondering what "do a lot more with it" refers to? I was under the impression that they were pretty comparable panels from searching and reading other threads.

And of course, I'd love more details on the "if you are reading this thread you probably want HAI". Not that I disagree, but with the documentation available I am having a hard time differentiating what will be beneficial of either panel for my install. My guess is the same pains of searching forever and not finding this information is exactly what Neurorad is going through.

Hi, I'm going to answer this with a biased view that I feel HAI is better than Elk. With that aside, the reason I choose HAI was because:

a) my distributor is very knowledgeable on the platform
b) HAI tech support/engineering is easy to get a hold of and speak to
c) most devices needed for automation work with HAI controllers
d) I feel the HAI product line is more complete
e) The ethernet port allows for remote connections directly to the controller
f) Firmware 3.0 and PC Access 3.0 allow for even more automation programming options.

These are just a few that quickly come to mind...
Danny

The HAI equipment is really no more difficult or easier to install than anything else. It does offer many features, and to make use of them all, that requires some knowledge, but nothing beyond the level of equipment. If you have some basic electronics knowledge, installing it is not that difficult. I installed mine without much problem.

Beyond that, I'd definitely recommend this board:
http://www.worthingtondistribution.com/cgi...s/yabb2/YaBB.pl
for some more advanced discussion of features and uses. If you can't get your answer there (which is pretty rare) you can call HAI up directly and be speaking with an engineer in the company in 5 - 10 minutes. I'm just a DIY user and had to call them on two occasions, and never had any problems reaching their engineers.

I certainly have nothing against ELK, and they make many great accessory devices, but in overall security and HA experience, and track record, and range of products for a complete solution, its not a close match. If you want a good system, the ELK can't be beat, but if there is any possibility that you will go further, HAI can provide almost unlimited possibilities. In addition, its quite rare to find such an advanced system such as HAI available to the DYI user.

If you want a good system, the ELK can't be beat, but if there is any possibility that you will go further, HAI can provide almost unlimited possibilities.
Like what? Don't mean to ask the obvious, but without any firsthand experience and only searching around on forums with an HA focus this answer comes up all of the time but without any examples. This list of endless possibilities that the Elk cannot do would be exactly the buying indicators necessary for many to make the right decision. Perhaps they are needed, perhaps not but without knowing what they are it is hard to make that decision.

I think what ano means is that HAI makes more of their own peripherals and they are perhaps a little better integrated. As an example, say you want to use an Omnistat2 with either system. With HAI you can connect it right on to the main board and bam, it works. With Elk, you need a dedicated serial port (M1XSP) and the right firmware loaded for it to work. So, the bottom line is they are both very capable and the M1 can certainly do more than basic stuff but you will likely just need extra XSP's or something to get it going.

WRT to security they are both very capable and on similar footing. For a little balance on Elk's side, one nice thing is they let you configure each individual zone for EOL where on HAI its either on or off for all zones. That could be an issue if adding new zones and you want EOLs, or you want just a few zones that are critical to have EOL capability or something.

There are several more detailed comparison sheets around here but you can not go wrong with either system.

OK.

I started this thread a few weeks ago, undecided, M1G vs. OPII

I've now decided to go with an Elk M1 because:

1. Although HAI is a better 'off the shelf' solution for integration, I don't want to use HAI components for everything. I don't know how well HAI supports the use of non-HAI components, e.g. Aprilaire thermostats, but I'm well aware of how well (or not well) that the M1 integrates with other components.

2. I'm choking on all the HAI 'press release' fluff. It really reflects negatively on the company. My parents were both in advertising and marketing, and taught me to loathe commercials.

3. Proven flood sensor and main water shutoff valve integration with the M1 - one of my primary reasons for alarm replacement. I'm sure it can be done with the HAI, but readily accomplished with the M1, using the Elk-branded water shutoff valve and GRI water sensors.

4. HAI outsells Elk, and I'm a proponent of the 'little guy' when it comes to business.

OK.

1. Although HAI is a better 'off the shelf' solution for integration, I don't want to use HAI components for everything. I don't know how well HAI supports the use of non-HAI components, e.g. Aprilaire thermostats, but I'm well aware of how well (or not well) that the M1 integrates with other components.

2. I'm choking on all the HAI 'press release' fluff. It really reflects negatively on the company. My parents were both in advertising and marketing, and taught me to loathe commercials.

3. Proven flood sensor and main water shutoff valve integration with the M1 - one of my primary reasons for alarm replacement. I'm sure it can be done with the HAI, but readily accomplished with the M1, using the Elk-branded water shutoff valve and GRI water sensors.

4. HAI outsells Elk, and I'm a proponent of the 'little guy' when it comes to business.

Your reasons above don't seem to be really related to technical reasons why you want to go with ELK, but personal reasons.

1) HAI does not make components for everything. They offer a lot of solutions but you can use any other "dry-contact" sensors/IO that are not HAI. The reason why one chooses to use HAI products is because the company stands behind and supports them if you have any issues and you know they will work properly.

2) I feel this is no reason to based your decision on a company. Press releases are meant to notify of new product releases... and HAI has had a lot of new product announcements as of recently. How do you propose they notify us, the public, about these?

3) You can use WaterCop or any other 3rd Party flood sensor with HAI, probably even the ones you will use with ELK (if they have dry contact connectors).

4) Then you should support all the "little guys" creating and supporting the HAI platform since it does outsell ELK and is the only reason why you see these companies supporting a platform that has a lot of people using it.

Anyways, sounds like your decision is made.... Good luck with the Elk system!

Cheers,
Danny

OK.

I haven't made my purchase yet, I am still aways off - Basement floor just got poured on Friday. I think you made a sound decision. In my opinion it comes down to who makes the items that are important to you. For example, I really wanted to do an M1G - but it is important to me to turn on and off bathroom fans based on humidity levels. Therefore, I plan on getting an HAI.

Back