DIY HAI?

OK.

I started this thread a few weeks ago, undecided, M1G vs. OPII

I've now decided to go with an Elk M1 because:

1. Although HAI is a better 'off the shelf' solution for integration, I don't want to use HAI components for everything. I don't know how well HAI supports the use of non-HAI components, e.g. Aprilaire thermostats, but I'm well aware of how well (or not well) that the M1 integrates with other components.

2. I'm choking on all the HAI 'press release' fluff. It really reflects negatively on the company. My parents were both in advertising and marketing, and taught me to loathe commercials.

3. Proven flood sensor and main water shutoff valve integration with the M1 - one of my primary reasons for alarm replacement. I'm sure it can be done with the HAI, but readily accomplished with the M1, using the Elk-branded water shutoff valve and GRI water sensors.

4. HAI outsells Elk, and I'm a proponent of the 'little guy' when it comes to business.

I haven't made my purchase yet, I am still aways off - Basement floor just got poured on Friday. I think you made a sound decision. In my opinion it comes down to who makes the items that are important to you. For example, I really wanted to do an M1G - but it is important to me to turn on and off bathroom fans based on humidity levels. Therefore, I plan on getting an HAI.

Winland makes adjustable trip point Humidity sensors with dry contacts that could be used to trigger a zone on the M1 to turn a fan on if you wanted. I am sure there are other ways as well.

OK.

I started this thread a few weeks ago, undecided, M1G vs. OPII

I've now decided to go with an Elk M1 because:

1. Although HAI is a better 'off the shelf' solution for integration, I don't want to use HAI components for everything. I don't know how well HAI supports the use of non-HAI components, e.g. Aprilaire thermostats, but I'm well aware of how well (or not well) that the M1 integrates with other components.

2. I'm choking on all the HAI 'press release' fluff. It really reflects negatively on the company. My parents were both in advertising and marketing, and taught me to loathe commercials.

3. Proven flood sensor and main water shutoff valve integration with the M1 - one of my primary reasons for alarm replacement. I'm sure it can be done with the HAI, but readily accomplished with the M1, using the Elk-branded water shutoff valve and GRI water sensors.

4. HAI outsells Elk, and I'm a proponent of the 'little guy' when it comes to business.

I haven't made my purchase yet, I am still aways off - Basement floor just got poured on Friday. I think you made a sound decision. In my opinion it comes down to who makes the items that are important to you. For example, I really wanted to do an M1G - but it is important to me to turn on and off bathroom fans based on humidity levels. Therefore, I plan on getting an HAI.

Winland makes adjustable trip point Humidity sensors with dry contacts that could be used to trigger a zone on the M1 to turn a fan on if you wanted. I am sure there are other ways as well.

A dry contact sensor would be OK, but I really want to get the relative humidity of the bathroom as compared to other points around the house. Also - I wanted temperature sensors in some locations - and the elk sensors, IMO, are not very attractive.

That's actually pretty funny because Elk gets picked on for lack of press releases or communication and now HAI gets picked on for too much. I'm sure there is a happy medium but my personal preference would be too much. I can always choose to filter or not read something but you can't do anything about not getting anything.

As for the other stuff, you will find that for the most part you can make either system do or support what you want, its all about the implementation. Both are great systems so sometimes its the little personal subjective stuff that makes the difference.

Anyways, sounds like your decision is made.... Good luck with the Elk system!

Cheers,
Danny
Currently I think his reasons are better than the ones I have heard for the HAI, which are always it is better but with no specifics. I have spent countless hours searching for why this is, but have found no reason that will make it superior in my house. I won't rule out the fact that maybe I suck at searching, but I have truly tried. I don't consider the fact that you can do more from the getgo versus being modular a valid reason.

Cheers,
Danny
Currently I think his reasons are better than the ones I have heard for the HAI, which are always it is better but with no specifics. I have spent countless hours searching for why this is, but have found no reason that will make it superior in my house. I won't rule out the fact that maybe I suck at searching, but I have truly tried. I don't consider the fact that you can do more from the getgo versus being modular a valid reason.

When I was researching systems years ago the ELK wasn't even an option -- the platform wasn't at all comparable to the HAI line. I'm actually quite shocked to see that people consider the ELK as a contender to the HAI systems today. I guess ELK has bridged the gap to some folks, but keep in mind that HAI has significantly changed / upgraded / added to the line over the years as well, so I still don't think they are considered comparable. I guess if cost is a factor and the ELK fits your budget then that would be the only reason why I would even consider the ELK platform.

I would never recommend an ELK over an HAI. I would recommend a Crestron system over HAI, or use an HAI with a Crestron system as a subsystem -- if the budget allowed for it. But, I guess we're in different places.

Cheers!
Danny

Cheers,
Danny

I think most aren't giving "specific" examples because most of the info is right there on their web site. For example, out-of-the-box (give or take) and HAI systems can control

Connectivity to Black & Decker Systems
The following Audio/Video Systems: AMX, Audio Authority, Crestron, Elan, Infusebox and Philips.
The following Lighting systems: CentraLite, LiteTouch, and OnQ.
The following Multi Room Audio: NuVo, Proficient Audio Systems, Russound, SpeakerCraft, and Xantech
The following Touchscreens: Hometouch, Pelham Sloane, and Samsung.

This is what I think sets them apart. Have NuVo, Russound, CentraLite, or Xantech, and they all work together. Want a bigger touchscreen, or a tabletop one, or one to display video cameras around your home, HAI can do it. Can ELK? Don't care about these? Maybe it doesn't matter to you. I don't use most of them either, but the fact that I can with minimum fuss, is important to me. But like everyone says, ELK makes fine systems as well.

I'm in the process of picking a panel also, and I've looked closely at Elk and HAI, and I think it's important to clarify which product of both you are looking at because the Ommi LT is a whole different animal than the Ommi Pro. I've actually decided on the Elk EZ8 panel, as the voice feature in the M1 isn't that important to me. The three points that decided it for me was 1) The features and capability I get at the EZ8 price point was superior to what I could get with the Ommi, 2) While both manufacturers are responsive on the forum (thanks HAI!), CT has a large Elk user base that can help with my inevitably stupid questions, and lets face it, one rather hang out here than AVS or Worthington :) 3) Very subjective, but I also support the little guy...shop at Target, use AMD, etc. Character flaw.

I think if money wasn't a concern, I would go with the OmmiPro system...HAI has a very consumer electronics feel (compliment) and has some nice touchscreens and thermostats. These are just products I would not be putting in my own home.

--Jamie

Cheers,
Danny

I think most aren't giving "specific" examples because most of the info is right there on their web site. For example, out-of-the-box (give or take) and HAI systems can control

The following Audio/Video Systems: AMX, Audio Authority, Crestron, Elan, Infusebox and Philips.
The following Multi Room Audio: NuVo, Proficient Audio Systems, Russound, SpeakerCraft, and Xantech

This is what I think sets them apart. Have NuVo, Russound, CentraLite, or Xantech, and they all work together. Want a bigger touchscreen, or a tabletop one, or one to display video cameras around your home, HAI can do it. Can ELK? Don't care about these? Maybe it doesn't matter to you. I don't use most of them either, but the fact that I can with minimum fuss, is important to me. But like everyone says, ELK makes fine systems as well.
I guess that is what confuses me. The info right on the website or spreadsheet doesn't give it any advantage at all for my application. I didn't like either systems touchscreens so I bought CQC to make my own, I am not using any audio system supported by either, the lighting systems either panel can control and the price difference to have the Elk do it is nominal considering it is less to begin with. If truly the only reason for the HAI solution is better out of the box integration then I as I stated above getting more built in versus being modular doesn't buy me anything. I realize that this isn't the case for others and in particular the flexibility that a pro installer might require, but for many people on this forum I would guess they are in a similar place to me and when you search for threads or info you end up with recommendations that the HAI is a better panel without substantiation. (of course if the person writing the thread doesn't share enough information it is hard to substantiate).

The point of my comments here are not to argue, far from it. I feel that this thread has brought more clarity to my situation than the 100 hours of searching I have already done. Considering this I wanted to document my views for others in the same scenario. I think what it comes down to is neither panel will do what I want on its own and once you add a powerful integration tool like CQC then the differences become more obvious. In my case the HAI will be more expensive, be more difficult to integrate (less support and documentation) and not give me any extra functionality. The money actually isn't the important part to me here as it is only a few hundred dollars, but the rest of the reasons are. If there were some other functionality or reasons to sway my decision I am still open and would love to here them.

You forgot HAI's support of Lutron HomeWorks. :blink:

Most DIYers who use Elk have a separate master controller (CQC, HS, ML, etc), and operate the touchscreen using the master controller remote management software, negating the need for a dedicated security system touchscreen.

It seems that master controller software integrates better with Elk - may not be so, but that's the way it seems.

BTW, I think Elk is very well integrated with Russound, from what I've read. Some support for Nuvo is expected with the next major FW revision, though not to the extent with Russound. The Elk RM remote management touchscreen software update (not yet released) will also allow for more customization, FWIW.

Currently, the Elk RM (touchscreen) software isn't nearly as good as the recently released HAI software, but I plan on using HomeSeer, Girder, or CQC for touchscreen integration anyway.

My security needs are better met by the Elk M1, than with HAI. If you want to roll a bone, eh, I mean 'roll your own', I think the M1 is the way to go. Many DIYers before me have shown that this solution is the most flexible.

It really depends on your strategy and how you use your pc/touchscreen software. Some people use it simply as a nice graphical interface and do (or did) so mainly because there was nothing close on either the Elk or HAI systems. Some people want to use their software to the fullest and only use a panel for security. With the Elk Rm Touchscreen Designer or the HAI Home Assistant you will have alot more flexible and graphic control and may just stick with a complete hardware solution with no pc controller. You can certainly build much better looking and functional screens with these tools. If you are going to depend mostly on your pc controller then you can scale back on your panel and use a plain security system like Caddx, or if you want to step up a bit, use an EZ8 or OmniLT. Having a full pc controller and panel like the M1 or OmniPro will give you redundancy and choice of where control should be.

I guess I would be curious about how security needs are better met by the M1? What does the M1 do security wise that the Omni or any other security system do? Full individual configuration of each zone for EOL would be one thing but what else? I'm just curious...

It does make it very hard because they are both great systems. Kind of like choosing between your two favorite cars.

It really depends on your strategy and how you use your pc/touchscreen software. Some people use it simply as a nice graphical interface and do (or did) so mainly because there was nothing close on either the Elk or HAI systems. Some people want to use their software to the fullest and only use a panel for security. With the Elk Rm Touchscreen Designer or the HAI Home Assistant you will have alot more flexible and graphic control and may just stick with a complete hardware solution with no pc controller. You can certainly build much better looking and functional screens with these tools. If you are going to depend mostly on your pc controller then you can scale back on your panel and use a plain security system like Caddx, or if you want to step up a bit, use an EZ8 or OmniLT. Having a full pc controller and panel like the M1 or OmniPro will give you redundancy and choice of where control should be.

I guess I would be curious about how security needs are better met by the M1? What does the M1 do security wise that the Omni or any other security system do? Full individual configuration of each zone for EOL would be one thing but what else? I'm just curious...

It does make it very hard because they are both great systems. Kind of like choosing between your two favorite cars.

Agree. Or you can use Myro:Home with HAI and bring your own touchpanel/computer (or get the 8" that I will be offering soon). It pulls down all the information automatically from the panel and adds more to the system with power monitoring, IP camera, and weather/stocks (soon to be news).

myro_1.jpg

Myro:Home waiting for Security Input.

myro_2.jpg

Myro:Home Keeping Track Of Climate Settings.

myro_3.jpg

Myro:Home + Whole House Audio = Crazy Love.

myro_4.jpg

Myro:Home and TED 1001 with Footprints allows you to monitor your energy use easily.

myro_5.jpg

Myro:Home camera viewer lets you see who's at the door easily.

Danny

Danny - I think most people are familiar with your product by now and we like to see the 'advertising' a little lower key. I don't think it really helps you to put screen shots in many different threads, it just makes them longer and harder to read. If you are going to plug your product, please at least try to use links to other threads or your own site for pictures, etc. I hope you understand where I'm coming from. But while we're on the subject, I'd kind of like to know where you see this product fitting. I mean, on one end you have HAI and their own screens and now Home Assistant which looks very capable. Me personally, if I wanted my own touch screens and bringing a pc into the mix, I would want much more than just a touch screen interface, I would want a full HA package to do the things the panel doesn't, like TTS, etc. I see Myro kind of in the middle somewhere, not really a full automation/touchscreen solution but using your own pc hardware. So, how would you categorize Myro and its fit compared to Home Assistant and something like CQC or Mainlobby, or Homeseer/HSTouch?

Danny - I think most people are familiar with your product by now and we like to see the 'advertising' a little lower key. I don't think it really helps you to put screen shots in many different threads, it just makes them longer and harder to read. If you are going to plug your product, please at least try to use links to other threads or your own site for pictures, etc. I hope you understand where I'm coming from. But while we're on the subject, I'd kind of like to know where you see this product fitting. I mean, on one end you have HAI and their own screens and now Home Assistant which looks very capable. Me personally, if I wanted my own touch screens and bringing a pc into the mix, I would want much more than just a touch screen interface, I would want a full HA package to do the things the panel doesn't, like TTS, etc. I see Myro kind of in the middle somewhere, not really a full automation/touchscreen solution but using your own pc hardware. So, how would you categorize Myro and its fit compared to Home Assistant and something like CQC or Mainlobby, or Homeseer/HSTouch?

I think you mean HAI Automation Studio, there is no HAI Home Assistant (at least I don't know about it, if there is please post some info).

1) Automation Studio currently works with only two HAI panels and doesn't not offer as rich UI features.
2) It also relies on someone to "play designer" and time is money.
3) The capabilities in Myro:Home are exactly those of what is programmed on an HAI panel but displayed and controlled in a much more user friendly way.
4) Myro:Home adds more value to HAI panels... look at the UI and details. There is no other product out right now that comes close in it's price range and capabilities.
5) 8" in-wall touch panel will be released soon for those that don't want to use Netbooks or lower priced machines. The option is there! You can now have consistent interfaces across the board.
6) Myro:Home extends your HAI system with power, weather, stocks, ip camera support (and more soon to be released)

This product was created because you can invest a lot of time and money on CQC, Mainlobby, homeseer, but at the end of the day you have a automation system that your always messing around with and is not as stable as an HAI system. Most people, like myself and my clients, are not really interested in messing around with the system once it's done, unless more functionality is needed. We need solutions that people can understand and are easy to use... Myro:Home has passed the "WAF" and is very easy to understand. If you can use an iPhone you can use Myro:Home.

That's why I chose HAI as the initially supported platform. They have a stellar product that can support pretty much anything you throw at it... they just don't have a compelling, easy to use software solution. Anyone I show Myro:Home vs Snap-link too can't believe that snap-link is a "retail" automation application. It doesn't look very sophisticated and cheapens what Automation is about -- easy to use and understand. Also, Myro:Home is much more than a snap-link which makes it even better.

Ok, that is my pitch... you won't hear more from me unless I'm asked :blink:

Cheers!
Danny

Yea, I keep saying Home Assistant but I mean Automation Studio - one of these days I'll say it right...

And don't go the other direction either, there is nothing wrong with mentioning your product where it fits, just plug it where appropriate and point to previous posts to try not to duplicate screenies all over, etc, thats all. Myro does look nice, no doubt and yes, probably much easier to initially setup, but I guess it depends on the customer. There are plenty of CQC, etc installs that are built and done and not tweaked all the time. While my system is in need of a refresh, I have had the same screens pretty much for 3 years without touching, but I can see where Myro would be a good simple out of the box solution. Thanks for the details.

Back