ELK M1 GOLD M1GSYS4S - pre install questions and help please

If you want to go with a direct connect and not using the Elk doorbell detector module... You first of all need to use a non-lighted doorbell, or one with an led light that draws very little voltage so as not to trigger the zone. You should wire them directly to M1's first 16 zones or the reaction time will be slower. If you are going to use a single zone for multiple doorbells you'd have to wire them in parallel. Set the zone as non-alarm, and use a rule to activate the sound you want. You can input a custom sound but it will be scratchy as you have to do it over a phone mic and it is tricky as you have to use the keypad, phone and whatever is playing your sound. I also have my rule email me, etc.

The alternative is to use the Elk doorbell detector which allows you to use a lighted doorbell. It is really made to be inserted into an existing doorbell setup, not to replace the doorbell, so I think you still need a separate transformer and load of some sort to represent the bell. I haven't done it, maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong about that. I am not sure how it works with multiple buttons.

And as far as wiring goes 22/2 is probably fine for direct connect, home runs are best so you can rewire at the can if necessary. For the doorbell detector you'll have to check the manual. It think typical doorbell wiring is 18ga or 16ga. You may want to wire for a typical doorbell just in case you decide to change it in the future.

Thanks wuench.

Ive been reading the forum with Work2Plays Halloween setup (awesome by the way)

1) I dont have the system until Monday when UPS delivers, but are there any STOCK tones that are suitable for a doorbell replacement? And what I am proposing with direct connect is it even a suitable doorbell replacement/?? Loud enough to be heard with 4 spf12 speakers throughout the house?

2) Do I program everything from the RP software?

3) will this led push button work if I direct wire it to the panel? And if yes, do I wire all four buttons parallel?
http://www.amazon.co...22677324&sr=8-2

No you don't need to worry about polarity, the button is basically just a contact closure. I don't know what doorbells will work, there's a thread around here somewhere with some successful ones, maybe someone will chime in. I used a non-lighted one. The tones should be plenty loud, you can adjust the volume via ElkRP. The stock tones are mostly beeps and spoken words, so the selection kinda sucks. But like I said you can try to program a custom sound through the phone if you want. Except for that, which has to be done via the keypad for some reason, everything else is programmed through ElkRP.

@wuench, thank you.
Ive been reading the archives all night, and came across many of your (HELPFUL) posts.

I am just trying to arm myself with knowledge till the panel comes in, this gets very addicting...especially for a techie like me.

1) I am new to alarm wiring, so regarding NC and Open circuits, do I wire everything the same to the M1 ZONES and the RP software will define the normally open and normally closed zones?

2) does out ELK M1 panel support both Normally Open and Normally Close circuits?

Yes, it supports both. You will set the zone definition depending on what type of sensor you have connected. Normally Open, Normally Closed, EOL, Disabled. You can also set it as an Analog Voltage zone for special sensors that give a range of voltage values. It's all in the manual, but a lot of this stuff may not "click" for you until you start playing with it..

That's the problem with the lighted doorbell. You would normally set that as Normally Open. When you press the button it closes the circuit and the zone will see a voltage. The light allows some current to trickle through the zone circuit so it closes it, if it allows more than the threshold for the zone it will be violated all the time.

Got the system yesterday. Haven't powered it up yet.

Question :

The Spf speaker, it does not seem to fit a single gang box??? The speaker is too fat to fit in the square.

Is there a special ring? Or should it fit in any standard single gang box?

Appreciate if someone can respond soon, the contractor needs to know what's up because they are finishing running low voltage cables today

Thanks in advance Edit : nvm a regular blue single gang fits.

Back