Elk M1 xep - here's how to use GMAIL (no ssl)

I was able to easily and successfully change to gmx by setting up an account and changing the relevant settings. Since I used port 587 for lavabit, I kept it the same and everything is working.

GMX
Server URL: mail.gmx.com
Port: 25 (alternates: 465, 587)
From Address: the address you chose when signing up ([email protected]).
Username: the address you chose when signing up ([email protected]).
Password: the password you chose when signing up.

Nolarola said:
I was able to easily and successfully change to gmx by setting up an account and changing the relevant settings. Since I used port 587 for lavabit, I kept it the same and everything is working.

GMX
I created a GMX account back when I created my lavabit account (February 2013).  I tried to switch over to GMX today,  but when I try to login via web for GMX i get a message that my account is blocked.  I haven't used it since February.  Does GMX disable/lock stale accounts?  Is there some requirement that you access your account periodically?

usually yes. I think they warn you too, if there is no activity (and sometimes activity means logging in), they will close the account. Never had that problem with Lavabit.

newalarm said:
I never had any luck with the other elk 'recommendations'. Boy that sucks. Thanks for heads up. I had not even noticed.

Is there any way to set up your own email server if you have a hosting space? I think I had asked them, but they told me there was something they could not do. I will have to research again... sucks.

If you have your own hosting, you usually also have reign over your own email accounts. I have a domain and hosting of my own and easily setup an: [email protected] address. I used the settings provided by the hosting company to enter into the XEP and had it up and running in under 5 minutes. The only issue that I've ever had is when my hosting payment was due and my CC had expired :(

This brings back bad memories as to how painfully difficult it is to set up the email service on the XEP. Not sure why it has to be so difficult. I would love to get an answer from ELK. I am trying to set up GMX.

For what it is worth,  I've been using Lavabit for over three years now without any issues, only for my Elk M1 system..  

I have setup up a 'watchdog timer' E-mail to be sent from the Elk M1 to Lavabit once every 24 hours to make sure my M1 connection is still 'alive'.  I then automatically forward that E-mail to my personal e-mail account. That activity has kept my Lavabit E-mail account active without any problems..

Nolarola said:

GMX

Thanks, I successfully set this up on FiOS just now (FiOS blocks port 25, so I used 587) and it seems to be working.  Note that GMail was at first putting the messages in the spam folder.

Elkaholic said:
That activity has kept my Lavabit E-mail account active without any problems..
Until today...

I have spent two hours trying to configure this and it is always the same thing. It seems like it is a total random if this thing works. Has no one from ELK ever dealt with this. In the past, I could not put a www address like mail.lavabit.com; it would only take an IP address. Now it seems like it is the opposite. when i input IP address for GMX, it disconnects the XEP when testing the email. With the Mail.gmx.com, it seems to send a test email and does not disconnect, but i never receive the email. I have tried all the different ports. 

newalarm said:
Until today...

I have spent two hours trying to configure this and it is always the same thing. It seems like it is a total random if this thing works. Has no one from ELK ever dealt with this. In the past, I could not put a www address like mail.lavabit.com; it would only take an IP address. Now it seems like it is the opposite. when i input IP address for GMX, it disconnects the XEP when testing the email. With the Mail.gmx.com, it seems to send a test email and does not disconnect, but i never receive the email. I have tried all the different ports. 

What are you using as the From email address in the XEP setup?  I noticed I was having zero success when using a non-existent email address.  I changed to one that I KNOW is valid and then everything started working.

Im using SMTP2GO, free plan (20 emails per day), and I was able to put the NAME of their server in (vs only using the IP for Lavabit, since the name didnt work for me either)

I know Lavabit only worked on port 587 for me, but SMTP2GO works fine on every port they have, including the recommended 2525

OK, so when I originally started trying to get email to work, prior to turning to lavabit, I had setup an AOL address.  I went back to that account tonight, and now have it successfully working with AOL.  Here's what I found to work:

Server URL/IP Address: smtp.aol.com
"FROM" email address: your AOL email address ([email protected])
Port: 587
Username: your AOL email address ([email protected])
Password: your AOL password

I have this working, and it's successfully sending to my [email protected] email address to send me SMS messages when something is wrong.

It now seems that lavabit is longer an option..  They shut down their E-mail services today.

Looks like I now have to search for a new unsecured E-mail service to communicate with my Elk M1 system... 
Maybe I'll try GMX again, but I had issues with getting GMX to work with my ISP...

Oh Well...

I too replaced lavabit with GMX but incase someone is having a problem with domain name mail.gmx.com as I was , here's the settings I used. Plug values in , send to m1 and then use test button. 

Server URL: 74.208.5.30

So, after having AOL working for an evening, I realized this morning that it was no longer functioning. I tried resending the M1XEP settings, rebooting, and testing again, but did not have any success today with AOL. Signed up for a GMX account, and that has been working well all day. Also seems to play nicely with my wireless all-in-one printer/scanner/fax...

At this point I'd recommend GMX....

dhiren said:
I too replaced lavabit with GMX but incase someone is having a problem with domain name mail.gmx.com as I was , here's the settings I used. Plug values in , send to m1 and then use test button. 

Server URL: 74.208.5.30
I tried these exact settings, and it disconnects me from control when i hit the test button. But when I put in mail.gmx.com, and hit test, the test email seems to go out, but then.... nothing. No emails are received.

newalarm said:
I tried these exact settings, and it disconnects me from control when i hit the test button. But when I put in mail.gmx.com, and hit test, the test email seems to go out, but then.... nothing. No emails are received.
that's interesting. In my case,  i noticed that putting mail.gmx.com was causing the control to disconnect when hitting test.

not to sound funny, but have you tried sending to xep and rebooting ? I find that the XEP can behave weirdly at times and rebooting usually fixes it

Back