Elk M1 xep - here's how to use GMAIL (no ssl)

Whenever I update the m1xep settings with the email info, I save it, it reboots the m1xep and when I re-connect if I try to send a test email, I get disconnected!  
Is there some work-around for this?
I don't believe I need to open port 25 on my router for this, do I?

It used to not work at all and disconnect by using mail.lavabit.com. but worked when i put in IP address. Now it seems opposite is true. But I suspect a problem with our router so ordered a new one.

Hmmm.. maybe the m1xep does not convert URL to IP which is causing the crash...  I'll try 173.194.68.26

Edit:  NOPE.  Crashed again...

Big517 said:
Hmmm.. maybe the m1xep does not convert URL to IP which is causing the crash...  I'll try 173.194.68.26

Edit:  NOPE.  Crashed again...
Is the 173.194.68.26 address belonging to GMX or a different provider ? I'd do a telnet -a to the provider and confirm the ip address . I think the elk m1 is very sensitive to hostnames/ip addresses that are not resolving 

I have been using Bell Canada smtp.bellnexxia.net for over a year. Once in a while, messages would not be delivered and this week, it stopped working completely.

So I tried SMTP2GO as suggested in this post and it worked just fine.
I specified smtpcorp.com for the URL and port 2525. The account is the one created to subscribe at SMTP2GO.

Everyday I get home, I received a e-mail on my cell, so I will see if the service is allways responding fast.

Thanks for suggesting SMTP2GO.

Haaaa. Finally got it working using GMX with the IP address that dhiren posted back in post 27. I am so relieved. Of course now we are monitored, so it is less of a concern, but I will be able to figure out some cool things to do with the emails.

My DVR was also failing to send e-mail on port 25. The port can't be change and ssl is not supported. SMTP2GO was not working for port 25.

So I finally got something working by using MailEnable Standard which is free. It is a complete mail server running on top of Windows IIS. I installed it on my laptop which is allways running with Windows 7. I configured it to relay e-mails to smtp2go using the option SMTP Smart Host. Without this option, e-mails are relayed successfully to Bell Canada but not to Blackberry.

There is probably easiers ways.

Searching through internet, it could be that my ISP is blocking outgoing SMTP protocol for port 25.

vbdino said:
My DVR was also failing to send e-mail on port 25. The port can't be change and ssl is not supported. SMTP2GO was not working for port 25.

So I finally got something working by using MailEnable Standard which is free. It is a complete mail server running on top of Windows IIS. I installed it on my laptop which is allways running with Windows 7. I configured it to relay e-mails to smtp2go using the option SMTP Smart Host. Without this option, e-mails are relayed successfully to Bell Canada but not to Blackberry.

There is probably easiers ways.

Searching through internet, it could be that my ISP is blocking outgoing SMTP protocol for port 25.

Yeah, a lot of ISPs will block 25.

But SMTP2GO can be accessed on ports other than 25.  Its in their FAQ: you can try 2525, 8025 or 587

@ChrisExv6 -- can you share your SMTP2GO settings? I've tried ports 2525, 587, 80, 8025 and can't get it to work. I'm on COMCAST. 

I did a little testing myself with SMTP2GO and the ELK M1XEP. Seems there is a bit length on the password.

This password workedWorkEmail3ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTU
It's 31 characters long.

This password did not work: WorkEmail3ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUV
It's 32 characters long.

This password didn't work either: Single-Merry-Sign-Conscious-6
And it's only 29 characters long. I think the hyphens might carry some extra "weight" because they are "Sepcial" characters. Just a guess...

My ISP is Comcast (MN)
SMTP2GO Server: smtpcorp.com
Port I used for testing: 587

Hope that helps someone.

@Kyle,

You may be able to get this to work with your free COMCAST accounts. I struggled getting this working for a while so here's to helping out other COMCAST users...

Here are the settings I got to work:
In my COMCAST account I created a new 'non-administrative' user to prevent COMCAST account abuse. I'm not sure if a trick here was to not use the main account... I just know that things started to work without TLS/SSL when I did all the above, including using a non-admin account.

While I'm at it, for DynDNS, I use the following settings
  • URL = members.dyndins.org
  • User name = MyAccountName
  • Password = myAccount PW             // complex PW that is only used for this account
  • Host hame = MyHost.dnsalias.com

Also, call me paranoid, but I setup all my systems behind a VPN connection: Elk panel, PC, AXIS Webcams, IP-controlled power strip, etc. This way my core concern is protecting/patching my gateway device. With 30+ other IP devices I did not want to run the risk of one of them having known exploits. In particular I do not trust the ELK port 2601 as being secure enough to have me spewing all my activity. Instead I use 2101 + a VPN. Now I can quickly connect to my VPN from any device I care about and use a long, complex password on that one connection. 

Don't know why you all are so concerned with using long passwords since by using SMTP without SSL you making the decision to send it in the clear so anyone can read it.  I would recommend that you at least create a dedicated account for just the Elk so you don't risk anyone accessing your email.   (Besides the NSA, of course :))

@Wuench,

Fully agree. My long pw comment was (meant to be) about the VPN connection, not the SMTP account. That PW is unique from all others. (I use DashLane to maintain different paswords for all my accounts).

I am Back to attempting to get my M1 Email functioning (to send SMS notifications) after attempting to use cox, gmail, yahoo and AOL mail accounts in the past with no success (I use COX for internet). I setup a SMTP2GO account today and tested it by setting up an account in Mozilla Thunderbird (no security/SLL) and was able to send a message via SMTP2GO (it showed up in their report list screen, and I received the SMS).  I then connected to the M1 with RP2 and setup the M1XEP Email with the appropriate SMTP2GO credentials, using port 2525 as I did in Thunderbird, Clicked Send and then reboot and then re-connected and tried the "Test" button and RP2 indicated it was sending the eMail.  No SMS was received and the SMTP2GO report screen indicated no message was sent. I also tried the other ports recommended by SMTP2GO , and a test rule I have setup (while RP2 was NOT connected) with no success.  SMTP2GO seemed to be a perfect solution for the M1XEP but it is not working out for me.   An suggestions?    

MGotcha said:
I am Back to attempting to get my M1 Email functioning (to send SMS notifications) after attempting to use cox, gmail, yahoo and AOL mail accounts in the past with no success (I use COX for internet). I setup a SMTP2GO account today and tested it by setting up an account in Mozilla Thunderbird (no security/SLL) and was able to send a message via SMTP2GO (it showed up in their report list screen, and I received the SMS).  I then connected to the M1 with RP2 and setup the M1XEP Email with the appropriate SMTP2GO credentials, using port 2525 as I did in Thunderbird, Clicked Send and then reboot and then re-connected and tried the "Test" button and RP2 indicated it was sending the eMail.  No SMS was received and the SMTP2GO report screen indicated no message was sent. I also tried the other ports recommended by SMTP2GO , and a test rule I have setup (while RP2 was NOT connected) with no success.  SMTP2GO seemed to be a perfect solution for the M1XEP but it is not working out for me.   An suggestions?    

Back