ELKRP not connecting

Not sure why all these problems all of a sudden but here goes something else

I decided to create another account since I was getting the above error. Now when I select the find button the elkrp2 address is wrong. The 3rd number shows zero (0)but The 3rd number of my router is 1. How do I change this?

Pitbull50 said:
Not sure why all these problems all of a sudden but here goes something else

I decided to create another account since I was getting the above error. Now when I select the find button the elkrp2 address is wrong. The 3rd number shows zero (0)but The 3rd number of my router is 1. How do I change this?

It sounds like your router has dynamically assigned that address to the Elk and you will need to look around inside your router for the answer to why it did that. Are you familiar with IP basics and router setup?

Mike.

I'm no expert with router setup but poke around. When I look at the different devices connected to my router I don't see my ELK. Must be because the IP address assigned is outside its range. Would that make sense?

I am no network expert either and learn as I go but as I understand it....

The addresses assigned by DHCP in a factory defaulted router is 192.168.1.x with x being between 0 and 256. This range can usually be manually changed to something else through the router menus ie 192.168.2.x. If as you said above that your Elk is found by RP to be different than 1092.168.1.x then someone has probably changed the router's DHCP setup at some time in the past. This is not a problem and there's no need to change it.

When RP finds the router you should accept it as it is and configure RP for that address.

so it my router is 192.168.1.X and my ELK shows as 192.168.0.X this is not an issue? But when I go into my router, I dont this device being conneted to the router

Pitbull50 said:
so it my router is 192.168.1.X and my ELK shows as 192.168.0.X this is not an issue? But when I go into my router, I dont this device being conneted to the router
When you use RP XEP setup to find the Elk control it will find it and display the address that the router has assigned to it. Then click on use selected and RP will fill in the setup info for you.

Mike.

It may help you to try to identify the Elk on your router using the MAC address rather than the IP address. You can use Elk RP XEP setup find function to learn the MAC address.

When you do a "find" using RP the IP address that you see is the address that has been assigned by the router to the ELK and is the address at which the elk exists or resides on the network. This is proven by the fact that RP was able to find it on the network at all. I can not say what it is that you are seeing in the router screens.

Mike.

How about this:

Go to the command prompt of your pc and do an IPCONFIG and then note all the information there. You already know the assigned IP of the XEP. The variable is the router here.

Personally, I like setting XEP's as static and reserve/remove the address from the DHCP pool. As a flipside of that, you can set the XEP to be DHCP but pull the address out of the pool.

This is an internal routing table issue on the router itself. You'd need to investigate the router, but generally I'd recommend (in a residential application) to keep the devices on the same subnet or VLAN and not go this route if you're not familiar with the processes.

Easiest way is to see what the router has for DHCP address ranges, then plug straight into the XEP and configure independently of the router.

How can I change the elk IP address? I had it set up as a static address 192.168.1.X but not I see 192.168.0.x not sure why happened but I can't even see the MAC address on my router. Need help please, need to set the alarm back up and running

Take a network cable and plug straight into the XEP and then set your machine in the same range as what shows up when you search for it.

Assuming you noted the IP address scheme and address your machine has, put the XEP in the same range, with the last octet something like 250 or similar. Want to say the XEP defaults to .249

Just to make sure I get it, I need to connect the network cable from the XEP my laptop and run the ELK RP, is this correct? This will allow me change the XEP IP address

DELInstallations said:
Take a network cable and plug straight into the XEP and then set your machine in the same range as what shows up when you search for it.

Assuming you noted the IP address scheme and address your machine has, put the XEP in the same range, with the last octet something like 250 or similar. Want to say the XEP defaults to .249
DEL

Do the IP adapters need to be in the same subnet to communicate with each other? couldn't 192.168.1.x communicate with 192.168.0.x on the same LAN router?

Mike.

They do need to be in the same subnet, and that will depend on the netmask.  Typically, that is set to 255.255.255.0, which means that 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x are different subnets.  So a router configured for 192.168.1.x would route anything destined for 192.168.0.x upstream to be resolved by the next level of the network.

But if you configured everyone's netmask (including the router's) to be 255.255.254.0, then 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x would be part of the same subnet.

If you have two adapters connected directly to each other with no router, then where the traffic goes will depend on what you have the gateway IP address set to.

When connecting an XEP directly to a PC, RP2 will find the MAC address (assuming the XEP is functioning properly), no matter what network address you have the PC's ethernet address configured to.  But then to actually send data traffic between the two, the XEP needs to be configured for the same subnet.

Back