ELKRP not connecting

mikefamig said:
DEL

Do the IP adapters need to be in the same subnet to communicate with each other? couldn't 192.168.1.x communicate with 192.168.0.x on the same LAN router?

Mike.
It depends what the subnet mask is set to.  By default the subnet mask for those addresses is 255.255.255.0 and with that they will not be able to communicate directly.  You could change the subnet mask on all devices so that it would work, but easiest would be to make sure the first three octets are the same.

Cheers
Al

RAL said:
They do need to be in the same subnet, and that will depend on the netmask.  Typically, that is set to 255.255.255.0, which means that 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x are different subnets.  So a router configured for 192.168.1.x would route anything destined for 192.168.0.x upstream to be resolved by the next level of the network.

But if you configured everyone's netmask (including the router's) to be 255.255.254.0, then 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x would be part of the same subnet.

If you have two adapters connected directly to each other with no router, then where the traffic goes will depend on what you have the gateway IP address set to.

When connecting an XEP directly to a PC, RP2 will find the MAC address (assuming the XEP is functioning properly), no matter what network address you have the PC's ethernet address configured to.  But then to actually send data traffic between the two, the XEP needs to be configured for the same subnet.
RAL

Thanks, I'll have to do some reading on subnet and IP address masking.

Mike.

Guys, sorry for the junior questions but can someone help me almost a step by step approach. I am not able to connect to my XEP and need to reconnect everything asap please please need help.

How can I change the IP address and make sure all is back to normal. Not sure why the IP address change, maybe someone thing happen when I did the grade since I'm on Windows 10.

My router doesn't see the XEP anymore and I'm lost of options

I kee getting the below message when I try to connect

Connection error could not connect. Possible reason the secure port is not forwarded through the router. The IP address or URL is incorrect. The remote site is down

What do I need to do to fix this once in for all

I know when you started this thread, you were running Windows 10.  Are you still on Win10, or did you go back to Win8?

I'm still running Windows 10. I followed the instruction to get the necessary update to run everything and it goes fixed. Then all of a sudden the I was not able to run the RP2 anymore because I kept getting an error message indicating Unrecognized system type. If this is a new model,contact the company listed in the help about windows for an update. I created a new account and now I noticed the IP for the RPS is 192.168.0.X instead of the original 192.168.1.X. The send receive options are showing but greyed out

Send/Receive will be greyed out until you have a connection, either via the XEP or the serial port.

Can you start up RP2 and open a new account without any errors?

If so, connect the M1XEP to your network (or better yet, directly to your PC).
Power it on, and wait at least 30 seconds.

Then in RP2, from the Account Details panel, click on the M1XEP Setup button.

Then, in the new window that pops up, click on Find.

Does it return with a MAC address?  Or does it say No M1XEPs found?

When the M1XEP is connected to your network, do you see both the yellow and green LEDs on the RJ45 jack lighting up?

If I plug the PC to the M1 panel, I am able to connect.

When you say connect the M1EXP to your PC, you mean to connect the internet cable from from PC to the M1EXP or to the M1 panel?

The problem I think is when I hit find option, the IP address found for the device doesn't show to be in the router range.

To answer the first question, the M1 panel should be connected to the M1XEP with the 9-pin serial cable, and the M1XEP should then be connected to your PC (or router) with the Cat5 cable.

Pitbull50 said:
The problem I think is when I hit find option, the IP address found for the device doesn't show to be in the router range.

On occasion, my M1XEP shows up on 192.168.0.251 when the rest of my network is on 192.168.1.xxx, and I can then not connect to the XEP using ElkRP.

Here is what I do (in Windows 10 or 7) step-by-step:

I click on the Start Menu, and right click on Network,  If Network is not on your Start Menu, click on Control Panel, then Network and Sharing Center.

Then click on "Change adapter settings," then right click on the relevant (if there are more than one) network adapter, and click on its Properties.

Then highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4" and click on properties.  Then specify the following IP address:  aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd, where aaa.bbb.ccc. are what you saw when you "found" the XEP and it did not match your router (so, to use my situation described above as an example, I would enter 192.168.0), and ddd is an unused number in your router's system (for example 100).  After entering the new IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.100), I enter 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask.  Then click "OK," and "Close" to exit out.

Then open ElkRP and connect to the account you want to open, and as RAL notes, find the XEP again AND MAKE SURE to "connect" to the XEP (using "Connections" then "Network"). 

If this all works, IP address should now not be grayed out and you can specify an IP address for the XEP that matches your router network subnet (the "ccc" octet), send it to the XEP, and then reboot the XEP.  I have found that once I specify the "correct" IP subnet in the XEP, I need to click "Assigned an IP address via DHCP" which then shows the IP address I assigned as grayed out.  I don't know why this works, but if does for me.  (The IP address I assign is a MAC driven assignment in my router's assignment table, so that may explain it).

Once you have done all this, you need to put your computer back to where it was in the correct subnet for your router, so go back into the adapter and change the "Internet Protocol Version 4" address back to your router's range (which probably involves changing the "ccc" number).

I suspect their may be easier ways to accomplish the foregoing (e.g. changing the subnet mask as described above to 255.255.254.0), but thought I would offer you what I have done.  I have mentioned in other threads using the XEP diagnostic utility, but so far I have not been able to use it effectively when the XEP is on a different network subnet from the router.

Good luck!

ok so I am not able to connect to the elk m1 using a connection from my pc to my elk m1. when I use the find button, although the send received remain grey out, the ip address is not within my router. M1EXP shows 192.168.0.X and my router is 192.168.1X.

why do I have this problem. Need desperate help. how to I fix this

Pitbull50 said:
ok so I am not able to connect to the elk m1 using a connection from my pc to my elk m1. when I use the find button, although the send received remain grey out, the ip address is not within my router. M1EXP shows 192.168.0.X and my router is 192.168.1X.

why do I have this problem. Need desperate help. how to I fix this

This is exactly the situation I sometimes have, and the steps I detail above (in post 39) have worked for me.  Did you try them?

On a related note, you speak of a "connection from my pc to my elk m1," but then talk about the M1XEP's IP address.  Is the XEP even in the mix?  Is your pc connected to your XEP with the XEP then connected to your M1?  

TurboSam said:

This is exactly the situation I sometimes have, and the steps I detail above (in post 39) have worked for me.  Did you try them?

On a related note, you speak of a "connection from my pc to my elk m1," but then talk about the M1XEP's IP address.  Is the XEP even in the mix?  Is your pc connected to your XEP with the XEP then connected to your M1?  
My pc is not connected to my M1. My XEP connects to the ELK M1 board and to my router.

I connect my laptop to my M1 using an internet cable because I can't access it remotely. I'm trying to fix the issue of not connecting remotely / wi-fi.

I tried your post 39 but had issues. I will try it tonight again but just to confirm, changing the IP address on my laptop will be give me access the setup menu of theELK using XEP remotely / wifi or using a cable from laptop to M1

I'm not sure how you are trying to connect your laptop directly to the M1.  

If, as you say, the M1 is connected to the XEP (using the serial ports on the M1 and the XEP), and the XEP is connected to the router with a cat 5 cable, you should then plug your laptop into the router--not the M1.  

I can't figure out how you would try to connect you PC directly to the M1 with an internet cable since there is no Cat5 connection on the M1 itself.  To connect directly from a PC to the M1 you would ignore the XEP and use a 9 pin serial cable from the M1 to a serial port (RS232) on you computer--but that would not address your XEP IP address issues.  

See page 49 of the M1 installation manual for the three possible RP connections to the M1.

Pitbull50 said:
My pc is not connected to my M1. My XEP connects to the ELK M1 board and to my router.

I connect my laptop to my M1 using an internet cable because I can't access it remotely. I'm trying to fix the issue of not connecting remotely / wi-fi.

Pitbull50 said:
I do use the rs232 to connect the laptop to m1

You've lost me.  Are you distinguishing between a pc and a laptop or are they one and the same?  

Back