Elk's new web page

mdonovan

Does anyone else find Elk's new web page to be as annoying as I do? Everywhere I try to go it's Oh My! It appears you are trying to access a secure item. I emailed and got access to just a couple things. It doesn't seem very customer friendly to lock everyone out of everything, then make you email and wait for someone to give you access. If I hadn't already bought an Elk, the fact that I had to register in order to look at the manuals and software would immediately turn me off and I would buy something else.

Just my opinion.

Matt

It's definitely not my favorite design/layout either, but I am assuming it is a project still under construction (or they are trying to scare the DIY folks away).

I cant see ELK trying to scare away the DY market but I could be wrong. Someone told me they have some new management with a new business model but I dont know any details. They have great products and a great reputation I hope they dont ruin it.

I noticed the same thing.
Can't even get a manual to study before a purchase.
Would turn me off very fast to ELK products.

WOW! It is really annoying. You need a new logon the old one will not work. It would be nice to hear the reason for the change and lockdown.

How right you are. Looks like we can still get to updates.

I registered again on the new site and am waiting for security level updates. The email I received said it's done manually. I'll see what happens.

Kevin

You can access the old site by choosing the Support Menu dropdown or use this link:

http://m1dealer.elkproducts.com/

Your old login info works there.

HTH,

Kevin

The problem there is, when you go to look at the manuals, it directs you to the new page.

Matt

I just received an email for my upgrade of access: Levels 1,2,3. I now have access to manuals, software, etc. I applied for access this morning.

Kevin

The new Elk website has me revisiting my commitment to go with the M1 for my Ha project. I have spent many hours designing my HA around the M1 and their new policy locks me out of the information I continue to need.
Elk's M1 is by far a very expensive panel and their technical info BEFORE you buy should be readily available. I used to be a service tech for very large commercial security company before moving to China now. I have seen something like this in the past Now that I cannot access Elk has me worried about their future support policies and if I need to invest in their product line.

Before deciding why not email there tech support and ask if they can give you an account so that you can access the documents again. It cant hurt to ask.

I've got a lot of process control and IT&S experience. My Home Automation / Security system is one of my hobbys. When I started I picked Elk mainly for their open support policies. I recently just got my id "re-created" on Elk's new web page. After disputing my account being set back to "know nothing" user, I tried reasoning with them. They referred me to Cocoontech. Their latest reply was that I should think of thier new page as they are moving into a new house and trying things out. When I pointed out that the user community seemed less than impressed with their new site, I was told that it was being done to improve their communication channels with their distributors and resellers (smacks of HAI to me). So now HAI tries to steal market share from the DIY and ELK tries to become a distributor focused manufacturer. :D Either way I think none of them want a DIY to succeed, and either think I can't do it, or I should have to pay someone else to do it. That just plain ticks me off!!
RNL

I am moving into my newly built house near the end of this hear. A few months ago I purchased an Elk M1 and various keypads/modules/etc. totaling a large price tag. I purchased the equipment ahead of time so that I would have time to play with it and learn how it works before moving into the new house. Back then I had decided on Elk because of their excellent DIY support and information available. It upsets me that they are moving away from the DIY group and making it harder for us to setup/expand our systems, even before I have even fully installed my system! I can't help but regret a little bit purchasing all of this Elk equipment, wondering if I should have gone HAI instead.

i didn’t seem to have any problems. i registered via the new website and got access to everything just as before. the first level is immediate and levels two and three approx 4 hrs later. i have a registered M1. Seems it would be a pity to pass on a platform such as this due to having to register and then sign in. most forums seem this way.

You guys are smoking crack.

Elk needs to be perceived as protecting their customers, the pro installers, as much as possible.

I'd really like them to surpass HAI sooner than later. :D

Back