Help me build an Elk M1 Gold system

Hi, I'm new to home automation. I've searched the forums but cannot seem to find the answer to some of my questions. Please link me to a post if the info is already here.

I'm looking to build an Elk M1 Gold system. My home is already prewired for security. My main goal is to add the Elk system and be able to control my home security, lights, thermostat, shades, door locks, and maybe even garage door. I'm mainly a Mac user, so ideally, I'd like to program it on my Mac via a web-based solution or an OSX native software.

1) It seems like I need the base package (ELK-M1GSYS3) and some keypads. What else do I need? The ethernet adapter?
2) Can I do all the automation with Elk itself? Or would it be better to add an ISY-99 to that. If I add the ISY, what do I need to get to have them talk to each other?
3) Also, which protocol would people recommend? Insteon, z-wave, upb?
4) Which software is best that works on a Mac?
5) Lastly, is Elk M1 gold the best system for this or would the OmniPro II be better?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have an M1G and a Mac as well. The automation protocol I'm using is Insteon.

I like Insteon a lot. It's cheap, and works pretty well. There's issues here and there, but overall I'm pretty happy. I largely chose Insteon because of the cost (and I wasn't sure how much I wanted to spend when I was getting into this) and because there's a great piece of software out there called Indigo (for Mac) that is super-simple to use, with a very 'Mac' interface. (Easy to integrate with an iPhone as well if you have one).

My Elk on the other hand is currently in 'security only' mode. I wanted to automate more with it, but Indigo just made a lot of that stuff easier. I still want to integrate it with my system, but currently they are seperate. I do have the Ethernet interface, and it's almost worth it for programming alone. I log into it all the time to tweak this or that.

The latest version of Indigo (5.0) now has the ability to use plugins to control all sorts of things. There are several good plugins already, but what I'm really waiting for is someone to write a plugin to talk to my Elk. I really want access to all of the Elk's door, window and motion sensors to add to automation, as well as being able to monitor when it's armed, etc... Unfortunately, no one's written that yet and the it's way beyond my pedestrian skills.

I'd reccommend looking into Indigo though. I basically bought some basic Insteon to start (light switch, lamp module, some phase bridges and a PLM to hook it up to the computer), and then downloaded the free trial for Indigo. Then I just played around with it for a while, and I was sold on it in no time.

Welcome to CocoonTech!

First of all, check out this home automation software list for ideas of what software is out there for the Mac (you can filter by OS). That said, Indigo, Shion are probably your best match.

If you don't mind going the hardware route, I would definitely recommend going with the ISY. There is an ELK driver now, in fact someone just answered this question earlier today in another thread.

The M1 is good at automation, but it has limitations the ISY doesn't have.

Depends - do you want to leave a computer on all day long, or have everything self contained? If you want, the Elk can do pretty much everything (depends on the protocol you choose too)... but for more advanced rules, often that's when you move to a separate controller.

For programming the elk initially you'll need Windows running ElkRP - there's just no way around that other than manual programming at the keypad, some of which is limited I believe. You can do this running a Windows VM or windows bootcamp partition on your mac.

For programming the elk initially you'll need Windows running ElkRP - there's just no way around that other than manual programming at the keypad, some of which is limited I believe. You can do this running a Windows VM or windows bootcamp partition on your mac.

So to program the Elk, I will definitely need Windows, right? I'm ok with running Windows in a VM.

Be sure to get the ISY Elk module. It is a very complete integration with the Elk and vastly expands its capabilities.

You will for sure need to run Elk RP unless you like ripping your hair out. So I guess that means windows emulation.

When you first start trying to program this stuff you will no doubt get confused and frustrated. It takes time but lots of people will help. You should start following the ISY forum as that is a great place to get questions answered as well.

Be sure to get the ISY Elk module. It is a very complete integration with the Elk and vastly expands its capabilities.

You will for sure need to run Elk RP unless you like ripping your hair out. So I guess that means windows emulation.

When you first start trying to program this stuff you will no doubt get confused and frustrated. It takes time but lots of people will help. You should start following the ISY forum as that is a great place to get questions answered as well.

Elk RP is just to configure the Elk system right? Once that's configured, I can use the java isy app to control everything else. And I no longer need to use Elk RP, right?

Elk RP is just to configure the Elk system right? Once that's configured, I can use the java isy app to control everything else. And I no longer need to use Elk RP, right?
Isy can replace many of your Elk rules. But it will not be able to configure your Elk system. ISY can arm/disarm, turn outputs on/off, send text to keypads, send voice announcments to Elk speakers, trigger zone open, trigger f key presses on keypads, bypass/unbypass zones, and control attached audio/thermostat devices.ISY is aware of zone status, zone type, input status, temp status, status of attached peripherals, alarm state, alarming state, keypresses on keypads, and other stuff.I certainly left out some things, but you get the point that most everything except for tasks and counters are known to and controllable by ISY. You can even access some things on the Elk that Elk can't (temp at keypads).So, to a large extent, once you get Elk configured as an alarm system (zone types, arm/disarm delays, access codes, bypassable zones, central station stuff, and so forth, you can use ISY to control pretty much all the rest whether it is an Insteon device or it is something connected to the Elk.

Awesome. Now I just need to find an affordable contractor to install it for me. I got a quote for $3100 for parts and $90/hr for labor. And he expects that it will take 16 hours. That's like $4500!
The parts include the elk system, ethernet interface, 3 touchscreen keypads, and 33 wireless contacts for windows. Is that reasonable?

Does anyone have any installer recommendations for SF bay area?

ChocoboLee, not trying to be a wise guy here, but if your house is pre-wired for security why do you need the windows contacts?

FWIW I'm in much the same bay area boat, except that we're doing an extensive remodel and I anticipate running the wiring myself.

ChocoboLee, not trying to be a wise guy here, but if your house is pre-wired for security why do you need the windows contacts?

FWIW I'm in much the same bay area boat, except that we're doing an extensive remodel and I anticipate running the wiring myself.

I originally thought the builder prewired it. Turns out they only prewired the 4 doors and didn't do the windows, because the manufacturer of the windows wouldn't allow them to drill holes in them... or something like that.

Back