Insteon Failures

I'll say that the only 2 devices that died on me did so on the same week ... when there was heavy use of power tools on my powerline. However they were on different circuits and there were other devices that didn't die in the same boxes. Maybe it was a factor or maybe not.

I've purchased 38 Insteon devices from Smarthome starting in 2004.  Several (too many IMHO) of the 6-button Keypad Lincs and SwitchLincs (mostly on/off vs. dimmer) have failed. I've also had a In-Line Linc On/Off Module fail (clicks whenever power is turned on and no light control).   It's all particularly aggravating since I've spent thousands of dollars on these rather expensive switches.  They either just "died" (no communication via my ISY994i and no local control, no LEDs).  Others have failed after trying recommended factory reset, re-linking everything, only to have them die again. Another Keypad Linc erratically makes a loud buzzing noise when turned on.  Other SwitchLincs in a former 3-way switch, now via 2 Insteon SwitchLinc Dimmers cross-linked, 1 dimmer works for a short time then suddenly stops working (communicating with the ISY and cannot control locally either, leds remain lit).  I have filters on all my UPS's, chargers, refrigerator, etc.  I've also had less than adequate support from SmartHome.  They have me try 1, sometimes 2 troubleshooting steps, then simply blame the issue on my wiring, or my ISY994i, or my linking, etc.They never have been able to tell me how to have my ISY994i work with my ELk M1G + M1XEP (purchased at the same time) to have all my Insteon lights come on with an alarm event, nor how to fix automatic email, or especially text messages, to be sent out on arming, disarming, and alarm events. To summarize, I'm not at all satisified with the reliability of Insteon devices and SmartHome support.  I'm now diligently searching for other brand devices that will work with my UDI ISY994i (maybe Z-Wave or ?).  If I have to, I'll give up the ISY994i, even though it's worked fairly well and others seem to agree on its flexibility and reliability.  I liked the fact that UDI developed a portal and Skill to work with my Echo Dot/Alexa I just got this Christmas.  Voice control of lighting is fantastic and is working great.  It's just that my Insteon devices continue to fail and I'm tired of throwing my money away.  Any suggestions on alternatives?

If you want reliability you'll need to upgrade to a commercial quality product, like Lutron RadioRA2 or Centralite JetStream, either one will integrate with Elk M1 via M1XSP interface

Do you have the optional ELK firmware add on for the ISY994i?
From what I have seen. With out it. ELK functions are harder to do and my not be complete.
I know Smarthome sells a ELK/ISY994i kit with instructions on how to interface the two, but neglects to say full control needs the add on not included in the purchase.

The early SwitchLinc and Icon wall switch modules. Had a known problem with their tact switches the paddles activated.
They would click but nothing happened. Smarthome did extend the warranty on them for seven years if it was a tact switch issue.

I have 78 various Insteon devices installed for about 2½ years now and have had two units ( both Switchlink dimmers ) fail. They failed within about three months of being installed and Smarthome replaced them, no questions. Since then, I've had no problems. As far as Elk/ISY integration, I have the Elk module for the ISY and as I recall, installation was simple. ( I did it, so it must be simple ). With the module, the Elk and ISY communicate with each other flawlessly. I simply don't have any issues with them.

I've also had a rash of Insteon KeypadLincs die a buzzing, non-operative death in the last few months.

I'm sort of at a tipping point where I feel it may be more feasible economically to replace my remaining Insteon switches with another technology rather than continue to expand on a system that seems to require component replacement every few years. Don't even get me started on the PLM...

I really don't want to give up my ISY and its wonderful integration with my Elk and other systems.

I have had one MS act really stupid from when it was delivered. replaced, no charge and no hard questions asked by aartech.ca.

Of my other 50 or so Insteon units, nothing else has ever failed in three years. Much more reliable that the Zwave device complaints I am hearing now about devices that will never perform properly and rigt to "their" factory specs.

rbell77.. you need to find out what is causing so much powerline disturbance in your home, burning out electronics and causing Insteon communication problems. Until you do I don;t think it will matter what system you try unless you hardwire. It's hard to jamm up Insteon's dual mesh simultaneous repeating, multi-retrying stability.

OTOH,. A lot has changed in Insteon devices in the last 13 years.

If you decide to change systems the ISY994i and PLM should be real easy to pass off to thousands of existing users looking for another unit....operators are standing by...

SH had HUGE QC issues in the first 4 or 5 years.  I ripped out all of my devices 10 years ago and threw them out (almost 50 devices and THOUSANDS of $$$$$ wasted).  I went to UPB and have that for 8 years with not a single device fail.  But there was no decent controller for them (yes UDI made a UPB version controller for Pulseworx but they dropped it (I have it around somewhere). 

Two years ago because of a lack of a good controller I bought a new ISY and new Insteon devices.  Out of about 50 or so only 3 or 4 have failed in 2 years (compared to maybe 30 out of 50 10 years ago).  So I THINK they have improved in my OPINION.

Dont expect any level of support from SH for Insteon let alone ELK or ISY. 

Did SH ever have QC or just QA?

I won't deal with them directly again. As a Canadian if something goes wrong you just toss it in the bin.

I deal with aartech.ca where they will stand behind the products even if they have to eat it, and their shipping is typically $10 same or next day, instead of $40-$50 to Canada from SH, after 2-3 weeks of sitting on the order.

They still have issues with the 2413S/U PLM's.
The latest ones where reported to have the improved power supply components.
Though I am still seeing the latest  ones reported as failing. Sometimes in months not even the two years the older hardware ones could typically do.

I also recommend staying away from their Refurbished modules.
100% tested got me an On/Off module where the Green LED was dead and another one rattled when shaken. The PCB was not screwed down and the missing screws where not even in the case. The plastic insulator that went over the AC pins was also not there.

I have also had real long ship times like Larry has seen. Even though the modules where marked "In Stock will Ship Today".

Digger said:
Two years ago because of a lack of a good controller I bought a new ISY and new Insteon devices. 
HAI is an example of a very good controller for UPB devices, the OmniLte is only $100 more than the ISY and it supports a variety of technologies in addition to UPB, so that you can use the best device for each application.

picta said:
HAI is an example of a very good controller for UPB devices, the OmniLte is only $100 more than the ISY and it supports a variety of technologies in addition to UPB, so that you can use the best device for each application.

I have had an ELK-M1 installed long before HA Lighting.  The Omnilite is also not as versatile as the ISY by any means.  We have one at work for test purposes and nobody is even interested it it.  The ELK gets a lot of interest.  I brought my old ISY to work (the ISY26 from 10 years ago) and it can do more for lighting then the Omni but obviously its not supported anymore.

I have both Elk and HAI, but I never had an ISY. It would be interesting to hear what can you do with ISY for lighting that you cannot do with HAI.

I don't own anything other than an ISY994i now. Previously I owned an X10 system with various computer based HA control software. I still use some X10 devices with my ISY994i where higher security s not needed.

Lighting is a fairly simple and basic control that I would think all HA systems do quite well but..
The lighting I control with my ISY
- many Insteon dimming wall switches.
- many Insteon plug-ins connected to bedroom, hallway, foyer lamps
- Hue bridge with 5 Hue bulbs
- 2 MiLight bridges with 4 MiLight bulbs and 1 RGBW strip controller via WiFi
- 4 LEDenet RGBW LED strips via 4 LEDenet controllers on WiFi
- 8 LEDenet RGBW LED strips via Ethernet wired to RPi running custom software, WiFi to LEDenet controllers doing animation sequences
- X10 Lamp controllers for Christmas lights and 2Hp dust collector

In addition...
- CAO Tag manager reporting from 4 wireless Tags for Temperture to 0.4C acc., Humidity, XYZ position, proximity within 2 km.
- CAI WC8 reporting windspeed, gusts, temperature, humidity outside & out building, back to back WiFi link.
- 2 Insteon thermostats temp, humidity, status, and complete control via RPI/NodeLink
- 2 Venstar T7900 smart thermostats, no cloud dependence. Intelligent setback and recovery control. Smart draught compensation due to windchill factor outside.
- Echo and 2 Dots via ISY Portal with control over any device, scene, program, or variable value (cloud dependant)
- 4 Leak detectors
- Doorbell PB detection and control of ring
- 10 motion detectors for light, security, and occupancy detection
- garage door sensing and alarms
- HRV sensing and control for climate control, co-ordinated economy fresh air intake cycling based on humdity and temperature level comparison between inside and outside.
- HVAC runtime monitoring, and graphng of HVAC parameters for economy analysis.
- temperature reporting averaging from three sensors with elimination of wild reading contribution.
- SMS and email notifications of
.... leaks with water shutoffs,
.... heating failures with backup heaters,
.... unwelcome motion with alarms,
.... clothes dryer for clothes done, cycle overrun, door left open.
.... ISP IP address change
.... daily motion counts, low battery list, ISP IP address, room temperatures, while away.
.... doorbell rang
.... power restore with failure and recovery times
.... garage door left open after X hours or outside of 2 km away.

I just unpacked my latest order. Received on 01/11/2017.
One of the two 2843-222 Open Closed Sensors is Dead On Arrival.
Guess I will have to call Customer Support and arrange a replacement.

Back