Insteon - new users' experiences - mine's been pretty good

bbruck

As a new user, I like to keep abreast of the boards to know what's what with my Insteon system. I've been somewhat surprised at the volume and passion of negative comments about Insteon - especially compared with other boards that I keep up with such as Indigo's. In one long thread one user said that he suspected that there might be a fair number of folks who were satisfied with their experiences with Insteon. I see several posts saying "I was considering Insteon but now I'll avoid it like the plague!"

As my experience has been pretty good, I thought I'd share it with others. Honestly I sort of expect to get semi-flamed - or at least get a lot of "just wait terrible things will happen to you" comments, so I've held off saying anything for a while. But a recent similar thread in the Smarthome forum encouraged me to post the following. I'd love to hear other newbie's experiences with Insteon - and especially folks whose experience hasn't simply been terrible, if you know what I mean. What lessons have you learned that we can share with each other? Here's mine...

I started HA about four months ago. I have 56 devices; started with lighting controls (using X10 motion sensors); gradually have replaced the motion sensors with Insteon, and ventured into two thermostats and two garage door openers. I have some more light controllers and an IR sensor and a transceiver I want to wire in. I use Indigo to control everything. My thoughts so far:

o I love Insteon - which works - v. the X10 stuff I tried years ago - which never did.

o I totally love Indigo and controlling things from my mac, my airbook, and especially my wife and my iphones.

o I tried to get away cheap at first - buying things from ebay. Overall, the experience was good, but I did wind up with 6 bad switchlincs. These were not under warranty (as I wasn't the original owner), but I found Steve at SH to be especially accommodating. I have had two other device problems, and SH and Norm at MacHomeStore have been extremely helpful and willing to switch things out immediately. Lesson learned - if you wanna buy used stuff, do your research on the boards FIRST to know what's what. I'd still buy an appliance or togglelink (and in fact got one of my thermostats for $35), but know what you're doing.

o Be aware that in a big house you may need more than two accesspoints. Oddly enough, I bought two noise reducers (can't remember the name); put one automatically on my main computer, but have never even used the other one.

o Be aware that this is still early adopter technology. Things won't be perfect, and you need to have a DIY attitude for experimenting around etc. There still aren't controllers for some things that I would have thought there would be - my Casablanca ceiling fans (with 7 level fans and dimming lights); temperature sensors; less expensive ways to control drapes - some of these things get VERY pricey very quickly.

o I thought I'd be integrating my sprinkler system, cause I'm excited about smart controller technology. Turns out you can get a sprinkler controller, but there aren't plug and play routines for pulse schedules, adapting zones to slope, soil, and type of vegetation, and even the weather integration is pretty rudimentary. So I'm going with a weathermatic (non-linked) controller.

o I thought I'd be integrating my alarm system - nothing fancy - but being able to read the multitude of door, window, and motion sensors through Indigo. No can do - The Elk controller everyone uses sort of wants to be the main controller, and simply reading the sensors from my old Ademco board is dicey, expensive, and experimental.

So I guess my experience has been that I've been very happy with the stability of the system; felt a little stupid not doing more research to know about the paddle problem and got caught trying to save $$, have been extremely happy with the folks at indigo, machomestore, and smarthome, have more realistic expectations for what can and cannot be done today, and have gotten over the original sticker shock of paying $45 for a light switch!

Bill B,

Thanks for the update, I'm going on 3 1/2 years without a failure with 65 switches. Keep in touch.

SteveL

o I thought I'd be integrating my alarm system - nothing fancy - but being able to read the multitude of door, window, and motion sensors through Indigo. No can do - The Elk controller everyone uses sort of wants to be the main controller, and simply reading the sensors from my old Ademco board is dicey, expensive, and experimental.

Good to hear you are happy with your insteon setup.

Just wanted to chime in on your above comment. The ELK does not have to be the main controller. They have a published RE232 protocol which you can read sensor status and even arm/disarm the system through. if your software have a generic serial port driver you may already be all set to send receive commands form an ELK

You had 6 bad switches out of 56 which is a 10 percent failure rate and you are satisfied. I would not be thrilled but would live with that.

Also keep in mind that he admitted that the 6 switches he had troubles with were all used switches bought off E-Bay. In reality he was the "sucker" that bought someone elses bad switches. I wouldn't be surprised if 100% of the used switches sold on E-Bay had problems with them (I'm sure that is not the case, but personally I wouldn't buy a used Insteon switch except from a known and reputable seller). So it is hard to compare those switches with the switches that are currently being sold new.

Before things get out of hand, this thread is about new INSTEON users, and what their experiences are. It's a good thread, as it will show if people are still having the same issues or not. But if possible, keep anything else in the other INSTEON thread,

So far so good for me. I started my install about 4 months ago and now have aabout 4 KPL, 6 or 7 SLs and about the same # of LampLincs. Definitely a small install so far. My wife loved the LampLincs for the Xmas lights and decorations and we never had any issues with them. My main complaint is that as I add KPLs its getting more and more complicated to setup the links. I will have to eventually pick up a ISY but don't particularly want to spend that kind of money just yet. I may try just getting a PLM and Insteon Explorer until I can sneak in the ISY purchase!

I've been using Insteon in my home for 2.5 years ago. It hasn't been without issue, but I am definitely happy overall.

I will have to eventually pick up a ISY but don't particularly want to spend that kind of money just yet. I may try just getting a PLM and Insteon Explorer until I can sneak in the ISY purchase!

You could consider a used/refurb ISY to get into the game at a low cost.

What type of issue? I have had mine downstairs for over 2 years and did have to replace a paddle. I am going to be finishing my upstairs now with it. I have to do the add a wire thing though which sucks. I do love my insteon though.

What type of issue? I have had mine downstairs for over 2 years and did have to replace a paddle. I am going to be finishing my upstairs now with it. I have to do the add a wire thing though which sucks. I do love my insteon though.

The issue was a production group of switches that had a microswitch installed which was different from the earlier and later shipping products.

This could cause the switch to become unresponsive to the paddel push. The warranty was extended for seven years on these switches. I have switches

going back 3 1/2 years that still operate as they should and some that had this problem in a couple of early client installs.

SteveL

I am a new user here on Cocoontech and I thought I'd share my Insteon experience.

I started to replace all my old Switchlincs due to a few (10 out of 80 switches or so) paddle failures (the microswitch problem often mentioned here and other places). My wife was going batty having to press buttons again and again.

I realized I couldn't buy replacement switches so I bought a few Insteon switches. I wasn't comfortable using them in X10 mode so I decided that I'd test them out as Insteon devices and prepare to upgrade everything. I used the Homeseer plug-in with the PLM, but wasn't very happy and I bought a ISY-99i/IR and have never been happier. That device worked so well that I got the confidence to replace everything. As I went, I had problems, but the more X10 I removed, the better it got. Plus i had to remove my ACT CR234 repeater along the way, as it seemed to be confusing the Insteon signals. Also, I was removing all the X10 lighting code as I replaced switches, to eliminate unnecessary traffic. This wasn't trivial, as the new lighting commands were going through the ISY, triggered by Homeseer commands (using the ISY plug-in which is WONDERFUL!), and my old lighting commands had been going through the Stargate. Despite the extra levels of communication, my lighting is much faster now and my extensive use of scenes has made everything very fancy. I have about 5 8 button keypadlincs which show lighting modes and other things (like a button to open our gate and arm the alarm), and those directly trigger ISY programs to update the lighting on the quick.

I am very happy now. I've had random comm problems but since upgrading the ISY to firmware 2.6.15, the problems have all but vanished. Now everything is at 100% comms and has been for a few weeks! I am just upgrading Homeseer to 2.3 today, so other than that, everything is working perfectly.

I also use the Insteon motion sensors as a backup system. My Stargate has a hard wired security system, but the ISY can detect when Homeseer isn't present (which has never yet happened) and can run the lgihts directly off a limited number of motion sensors, so the house never goes dark even if a system is down!

As for sales on Ebay, I am currently selling everything I removed that I haven't already sold, and I specifically removed all the bad switches completely (by throwing them away) and then in a few auctions I include all the switches with funny paddles as "extras" or "spare parts", but they're not part of the auction, just additional items thrown in and clearly labeled as having tricky paddles. I know that in all the years I've used these switches, they're never behaved badly (turning on/off randomly, not responding to signals, forgetting scenes, etc. . ) - the only problems I've had are with the paddles. I'd always used a CR234 repeater/amplifier and I had a Leviton X10 signal blocker on the incoming power to our house. I'm always a bit skeptical of people who had lots of Switchlinc problems because my experience was mostly positive. Anyway, if anyone wants some used Switchlincs that I have tested prior to removal and that I'm sure are good, my Ebay username is econoline. Just search on Switchlinc and you'll find them.

Report from the front...

The Indigo Touch application has been released for the iPhone, and I'm really psyched! I downloaded it and I can pretty much instantly control everything in my house from my iPhone. There's some free home drawing software for the mac that was suggested on the indigo board that I downloaded; scanned a diagram of my house layout, and overlaid it on the program - and am now creating a graphic control page for both Indigo (mac) and my iPhone. So I will get very little work done today, I'm afraid. (sigh)

This is for mac users only, I'm afraid, but if anyone else out there is using a mac, this is a Good Thing Indeed!

Bill, would you mind starting a new thread, with some screenshots of your interface? Sounds very interesting! Thanks!

I installed a handful of Insteon devices about 6 months ago. Hardware includes switches, outlets, and a PLM. I'm controlling it all through MisterHouse.

I setup most of the hardware in places of the house we don't use much, so there isn't a lot of daily interaction with it yet. However, I do have one lamp in the front room that comes on every morning and night like clock work, so I know things are working.

I have had absolutely no trouble with any Insteon products so far. I hope to buy more in the coming year to expand its use into parts of the house we use more frequently.

Thanks for posting up this thread. I've been waiting for 2 years now for Insteon to turn around before jumping in, and to hear stuff like this. Previously there were people that would talk about not having problems, but there were far more negative posts and problems all over the Internet, than positive.

This reassured me that Insteon is a great product, and taught me to not buy devices on the cheap just to save a few bucks.

Thanks again

Back