Insteon - new users' experiences - mine's been pretty good

Digger, quit twisting everyone's words around. I simply corrected a fact and made no comment about early adopter. This thread was civil until recently.

Insteon has been out for almost 5 years now right.
Nope, Insteon items first shipped in May 2005 (ahead of schedule), which makes it less than 4 years old.
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1525
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1959
Ok 4 years I wasnt sure...... so I guess everyone is still an early adopter. So is everyone with a broadband internet connection to I guess.

I did not twist your words. Bill feels we are all early adopters. I disagree that all HA is early adoption. Indy twisted my words saying I said HD pulled Insteon for a reason. I only said HD was selling to consumers off the shelf and no warning to consumers that they were early adopters and could not be assured the products would actually work. (I did speak to the HD buyer over a year ago trying to get them to replace my switches and they said they had enough of all of the returns and to go back the the mfg per the written warranty but is not what I was saying in that post).

Granted no product has an absolute certianty to work but to say that Insteon is not expected to work and that is the price an early adopter pays doesn't seem right if its sold off the shelf to the average Joe. There should be some warning or only sold to pro's or hobbyists with a disclaimer (like Homesser and others state with Beta Software) not to the guy shopping at HD for a light switch

Not bashing anything here, just relating my experience with a little commentary. I was a 'early adopter' on both INSTEON and Vizia-RF (Zwave).

My INSTEON experience was costly and wasted a lot of $$ (I would need to buy the 'new improved' now). I understand that the INSTEON devices are much more complicated than the Zwave stuff. I just got tired of ripping them (INSTEON) out of the wall every other month for a 'warranty' fix for a defective device/firmware/?. The 'you need to buy upgraded devices' was the last straw for me. I suspect that the whole RF upgrade thing was smoke and mirrors to cover up a defective original design (X10.com anyone?). The kicker is that these gentle people will not even have the courtesy to let you know if you bought crap. You have to figure that out and then contact them. What is wrong with that picture? I wonder.

#1-Alpha software/firmware/hardware
#2-Beta software/firmware/hardware
#3-Released software/firmware/hardware.

My own opinion, SH uses #1 to make money for #2. I do not believe that they have had a #3 yet.

I put in my Vizia-RF switches and they have been working for about two years, out of the box, with zero failures. That part was #3. There is now a Vizia-RF +. I am not forced to buy that to make my original Zwave network work to their published specs.

Draw your own conclusions...

Being a 'early adopter' is no excuse. If it works, you sell it. If it does not work, PLEASE DO NOT sell it, THANK YOU.

That was all I had. ;)

Ken Miller

I think Insteon will be ready for prime time once all devices are I2 and play well with each other and they do not have a rash of hardware failures for a decent length of time.

That may be coming in the next year or so. What people will do with all of the old obsolete devices I dont know (other than the buy more philosophy).

I would bet the new I2 devices will prove to be a major accomplishment for SH. Hopefully they will put a lot of the problems behind them with the I2 devices.

As Digger says, everyone's entitled to their opinion, and as I said, YMMV.

For my own mileage, I've been quite happy with the Insteon technology per se; but I still DO feel like an early adopter because what I'm trying to DO is not something that I can afford - out of the box. As I said - I dunno about those 5-figure systems - and I guess it *is* the integration between the components that feels early-adopter-ish to me - but as my hope was to construct an automated house that integrated - well - everything... That project feels early adopter-ish - which is the explanation of my original comment, which is what I believe Digger was asking of me.

Back to "new users' experiences"!

There are plenty of threads here that beat up insteon and SH; It'd sure be great if we could keep this one to a relatively civil discussion about new users' experiences - things to like and dislike - things to know about and watch for - without having to degenerate into trashing the technology and its manufacturer.
there is a reason for the 'trashing' - and examples are given again and again for our discontent - the answer we get is 'we shouldn't expect it to work'?

we ask when a plm that works will be available and get no answer - or acknowledgment of the problem - or if a resolution will ever be available

paddle problem same thing - new houselinc release same thing - and on and on

we point these things out and we are called trolls and flamers - we do not get answers

we are told that we are too mean to the manufacturer and if we delete our mean posts, they will help - but the answers seem couched in 'send me a personal email' or 'see the $200 forum'

the descent into flame wars require two sides - from my perspective as a flammer, i don't see real answers to the points we bring up - the answer is usually 'boy, these insteon threads sure are emotional'

do you think their silence on real problems is acceptable?

Sloop - I can appreciate that if I had had a bad experience with a vendor, I'd be upset and I'd want others to know it. However, it seems to me that EVERY thread on this forum that talks about Insteon operates - as I said above - with Cocoon's Corollary to Gilbert's Law.

I honestly don't think ANYONE could visit Cocoon and NOT know that there are some folks who hate Insteon technology, hate Smarthome, feel ripped off, etc. OK, I get it. I think everyone gets it.

Does that imply that it is not okay to have some threads - just one or two - where we do NOT spend time rehashing the wrongs that some folks have suffered?

Bottom line is that there are some smart folks here - some that I'm coming to respect and enjoy. But as an Insteon user, the atmosphere is fairly toxic. It's hard to have a conversation about the HA system that I have without pretty much every thread getting back into the trashing and thrashing. And that's no fun.

Perhaps there could be one ceremonial post per thread - or even one per page if needed - that says "Just so no one forgets, a bunch of us hate Insteon and SH; see [link] for lots and lots of details."

I don't mean to be dis-respectful, or to minimize the wrongs that some folks have experienced, but honestly it makes this whole forum pretty feel pretty unfriendly and useless to folks who might want to talk about how to use Insteon just like others want to talk about how to use Z-Wave or X-10...

I have to agree with Bill here. We have several topics which discuss all these insteon issues (1 is even pinned), I have no problem with people linking to the existing thread whenever an opinion is asked, but the way things are going, I don't see how people who have invested in insteon are going to get a fair chance to discuss their ideas without every new thread ending up being about the same issue. I too find it frustrating that SmartHome has handled things badly, but let's welcome and help the people who already invested in this technology.

So I am going to kindly ask that whenever a new topic about insteon is created, to keep this in mind, and give new users a chance to express their experiences.

the reason I responded was to point out that the ‘too revolutionary to work’ idea was not presented to me by the manufacturer when I paid them for their product - what I tried to say was that excuse is outright bogus – just tried to phrase it with some diplomacy

my second paragraph was also an attempt to say there is a reason (actually – several) why this product line has so many flamers like myself – its not a vast conspiracy – it’s the seller and the products themselves

these two sentences

As a new user, I like to keep abreast of the boards to know what's what with my Insteon system. I've been somewhat surprised at the volume and passion of negative comments about Insteon - especially compared with other boards that I keep up with such as Indigo's.

led me to believe an explanation would be welcomed – trust me – my later post is an abbreviated list of my complaints (which are the reasons I am a malcontent)

I also see that you fully expected negative comments

Honestly I sort of expect to get semi-flamed - or at least get a lot of "just wait terrible things will happen to you" comments, so I've held off saying anything for a while.

I am sure that you did not intend it to be baiting, but it is red meat for us malcontents – I would like to know why my posts are (as you said) flaming – you like to point out that your HO is valid – please extend that same courtesy to our opinions – some posts are opinions – some are facts – please don’t respond to our posts that contain both opinion and fact by calling us flamers – and ignoring our direct valid questions

these threads descend into chaos because points are never debated – they turn into threads on why the thread descended into chaos – not answers to valid points or questions

I started HA about four months ago.

I took that to mean you’d welcome comments from people that have played with this stuff a little longer

your comments are almost as inflammatory as those you condemn

…the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

As a Cocoon discussion involving Insteon grows longer, the probability of it morphing to a discussion that flames the technology and its manufacturer approaches one.

There are plenty of threads here that beat up insteon and SH…without having to degenerate into trashing the technology and its manufacturer.

Nazis? Hitler? flames? beat up? trashing? why not engage the debate instead of dismissing the point? that is all too common in these fabled threads

I honestly don't think ANYONE could visit Cocoon and NOT know that there are some folks who hate Insteon technology, hate Smarthome, feel ripped off, etc. OK, I get it. I think everyone gets it.

I disagree – and will use the exonerating ‘just my opinion’ phrase to excuse my rudeness in pointing that out

But as an Insteon user, the atmosphere is fairly toxic. It's hard to have a conversation about the HA system that I have without pretty much every thread getting back into the trashing and thrashing.

the point of my second post is this: there is a reason for that ‘toxic atmosphere’ – and I pointed to a few examples of why the atmosphere around sloop’s digs is toxic – you seem to realize there are quite a few of us malcontents – and dismiss our reasons by calling us names

not to be rude – but I don’t know any other way to express it – as I see it, the malcontents post reasons – the fanbois don’t answer the points but start calling us flamers or worse

I disagreed with this

Be aware that this is still early adopter technology.

and some of your other statements such as this

I love Insteon - which works - v. the X10 stuff I tried years ago - which never did.

I did not respond to the second because it is subjective – my experience was exactly the opposite – but chose not to respond – but it seems that dissent in these threads is being discouraged

disagreeing with your point was on topic and not flaming – granted that it was not rainbows and sunshine as you want the thread to be – but geez – nazi?

now this is off topic and has no relation to home automation whatsoever – and not intended to bash bill – just to point out that using words like hitler and nazi when describing mundane things (like a forum thread) kinda cheapens the meaning of those words – we have all probably done it – but I know one man that I would NEVER say something like that in his company

Mike Jacobs is a survivor – he lives here in dallas and is a casual friend of mine – he inscribed his book to me with

Remember, “Never Aagain!â€

along with a personal message

Mr Jacobs is Jewish and born in Poland – his book describes running from nazis, getting caught, his life in concentration camps, the time when he was separated from his family and much more – Mr Jacobs survived and became a US citizen – he started a scrap metal company (that was quite successful), married and had 4 children

if anyone is interested – this is his book (its not for sale on amazon but the book is described)

http://www.amazon.com/Holocaust-Survivor-J...5152&sr=1-2

just something to think about

In the famous words of Donald Trump... Sloop, "You're Fired" ;)

In all seriousness I have to agree with Dan as well. I am not an Insteon user and most likely never will be, but, I do read almost every post on every subject on this fantastic forum. I do enjoy and respect everybody's opinion and totally believe everyone is entitled to theirs.

That being said, I do get very frustrated and tired of reading the same exact complaints over and over and over again ad nauseum. I 1000% totally understand sloop and digger or anyone else's frustrations with failed products, customer service, etc. AND Y'ALL HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO EXPRESS IT! However, and this is the key - enough is enough. Your point has been made and as Bill said, we get it, we really do. But like I said, I want to read every post and I can't spend way too much time reading the same thing over again.

So, I am going to ask nicely, politely and with all due respect to please just chill out on this a little. Most regular readers here know very well how you feel, how you've been wronged, how bad SH may be in their responses, etc. But it really just doesn't add any value to keep repeating it, talk about that dead horse.

Now, I agree, there may be a new member asking a repetitive question or something and you really want them to know how you feel. No problem! Fully understood. But what would be the best for all concerned imho is as Dan suggested - simply point them to one of the 100 existing posts on your story.

I just think the constant rehashing is just not helping anyone, except for maybe yourself to feel better and get it off your chest again. So lets move on, let the Insteon users discuss in peace and the rest of us enjoy.

I hope this is taken in the positive manner in which intended. I want to keep reading your posts and opinions and enjoy them, not put you on /ignore.

Re: flaming...

To be clear, Sloop - I said I expected to get semi-flamed.

I don't think anyone has done that - i.e., made negative comments about me personally. Folks who are passionate about Insteon have I think been pretty gentlemanly about respecting other folks' differences of opinions.

So my expectation was thankfully not met.

And thank you for explaining a few things in our post - like how you were responding to my questions in your response.

No. It suggests evasive customer service.

Given that this thread is for examples of positive Insteon experiences, can someone describe a positive experience with Smarthome's customer service?

No. It suggests evasive customer service.

Given that this thread is for examples of positive Insteon experiences, can someone describe a positive experience with Smarthome's customer service?

I might gotten the first wave of Insteon way back when....I did get the bad contact switches and essentially had to swap out all of the switches. I procrastinated until after the original warranty period and was inspired to take care of it when Smarthome extended the warranty.

Customer service was fine during this replacement ordering process.
The only issue was I ordered, say, 30 switches but only returned 25 in the first batch. I was originally ensured that I would get the credit to offset the 30 switch credit card charge within a few days (same CC billing period). I waited for the credit and it didn't come....I called...and they said that the delay was due to not sending back exactly what was sent. I had to talk to a supervisor to get it squared away.

I got the feeling they were really trying to be of good customer service....but there just seemed to be some process issues that were keeping them from the home run to make up for the switch defect hassle. Not unusual, but not stellar either.

Latest batch seems to work well.

Yeah - I've had great customer service from all the HA folks - MacHomeStore, SH, and Indigo. In fact, all have been exceptional. But with SH to answer the question - I've called prolly 10 times. Every time have had a native English speaker who was very knowledgeable about their products. When I've needed to return something - and I never know where I bought a given module - they looked up the fact that I HAD bought a widget of that type and immediately sent me a replacement. No hassle, no having to prove it was bad - a simple description of my diagnosis and a replacement was on the way. But more than that, they (as well as all the other vendors) have taken the time on the phone to explain things to a newbie, help me understand what product might be best for me, etc.

Steve - who has an item here - took the time to chat back and forth about how I might be able to wire my old ademco security system to talk to Indigo via Insteon.

OTOH - I just read Sloop's post in some other item - $6k of x10 stuff he wasted - I'm starting to understand the depth of the feeling! But to answer the question, I've had good experiences so far.

Yeah - I've had great customer service from all the HA folks - MacHomeStore, SH, and Indigo. In fact, all have been exceptional. But with SH to answer the question - I've called prolly 10 times. Every time have had a native English speaker who was very knowledgeable about their products. When I've needed to return something - and I never know where I bought a given module - they looked up the fact that I HAD bought a widget of that type and immediately sent me a replacement. No hassle, no having to prove it was bad - a simple description of my diagnosis and a replacement was on the way. But more than that, they (as well as all the other vendors) have taken the time on the phone to explain things to a newbie, help me understand what product might be best for me, etc.

Steve - who has an item here - took the time to chat back and forth about how I might be able to wire my old ademco security system to talk to Indigo via Insteon.

OTOH - I just read Sloop's post in some other item - $6k of x10 stuff he wasted - I'm starting to understand the depth of the feeling! But to answer the question, I've had good experiences so far.

I wasted nearly $4000 on Insteon. I cut my losses earlier than Sloop and went to UPB. If you like INsteon you would love UPB. You dont need to call customer service because the product works.

I do think that SH corrected the paddle problem on everything shipping for the past 6 to 9 months so you should never see that problem (thank god). In time you will probably see LED failures and device failures (unfortunately).

Back