Leviton VRUSB owners: Do you have it working?

Well, its Win8.1, not my stick. I downloaded VirtualBox, found a copy of Win7Pro (but its the restore for my dell, no idea how long it'll last, can't find my standalone Win7 original CD).  Set it up, bada bing, worked straight away.

WTF Leviton, seriously?

I currently have it on my desktop, I loaned my external DVD Drive to my neighbor who can't find it and my laptop is an ultrabook. He'll buy me another drive if he can't find it, so I'm not fully ready to go, although I might see if its possible to copy a virtual disk via filesystem from my desktop to my ultrabook over the network.

you should be able to.  load virtualbox on your laptop, and simply transfer the VM file from one to the other.  i do that all the time with my Parallels VM on my Macs.

Unfortunately, RTIT 1.1.2.0 is approaching one year release date. I don't know if Leviton is making any more improvements. If you can find the 1.1.3.0 that Leviton pulled (I still use this version), maybe it will work in Win8.1. You should log a support incident with Leviton support - maybe if enough paying customers voice disappointment, they might be more inclined to fix all the known issues.

got it working via VM thanks to an impromptu google hangout with JKMonroe, WooHoo!

Stopped finding new devices as soon as I added 3 switches. WTF? Tried rebooting the VM, no love. Will continue to bang my head against the wall, but i blew away my main network in VRCPG so boy this better work soon.

This. This is why I have trust issues.

make sure that you save your network (very important, it is tied to the USB stick), and that when you are walking around adding switches that the green light on the VRUSB is lit up, and then starts blinking.  some of my switches gave me a headache when i tried to include them, but literally pressing the USB stick against the switch while searching made it work.  give that a try and see if you have any better success.

well, baby steps. had to exclude / include devices a few times then it stuck. Now i'm done, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to update the VRCPG (handheld remote). It updated the VRCOP just fine, but it just doesn't want to update the handheld. I wonder if its considered some other bizarre thing.

Ugh. All this just to get active notifications and possible keypad lock visibility.

i think you only need to follow step 1.  once the VRCPG is a secondary controller, it should be able to control your network.

It wasn't receiving updates as secondary. I transferred control as I was done including devices, so that worked. Its busy doing something, taking forever, but its doing something.

Thanks man, i'd be going crazy if not for you today.  The Amazon same-day delivery of Hue will be here soon, so maybe i'll take this time to rip my hair out getting the Hue set up. Or maybe this will be better. 

No problem.  Hue is dead simple; plug it in, push the button on the top to pair to an app, turn on the bulbs, and using the app hit the 'Search' button.  To add a Tap, you hit 'Add Device' then press a button on the Tap for 10s.

Done.

It's a little more complicated when you go to hook it into CQC, but it's still super easy.  When the time comes to build scenes and do more than simple on/off/dim control, or get multi-tap functionality from your Tap, it gets a little bit tougher, but that's only because you get to start looking for third party apps.

Had the entire zwave working, but needed to make one change. Screwed up, decided to redo the network. Now I can't get the 2 schlage deadbolts or one vizia rf lamp module enrolled. Ready to throw this thing against the wall.

In todays "As the World Turns", I decided to give the VRUSB another shot as the Hue was giving me some issues. Wouldn't you know it, staying within the Leviton world (only adding in the Leviton dimmers) kept everything peachy keen. I wonder if part of my prior issue was trying to include the Shlage deadbolts in the beginning, throwing everything into a tizzy.

I actually have it (mostly) working now through CQC. The active notification doesn't work for one of the Leviton switches, and my furthestmost Leviton switch isn't connecting. But, I have the top 14 devices working, so thats key.

I still don't appreciate what Leviton is putting me through, but i'm also not willing to spend $150/each on RadioRA dimmers plus $1K on control equipment for automated lighting. Well, I probably would if I was remodeling the house and opening up walls so the $8K-$10K was a minor portion of the cost, but thats not right now.

IVB said:
i'm also not willing to spend $150/each on RadioRA dimmers plus $1K on control equipment for automated lighting. Well, I probably would if I was remodeling the house and opening up walls so the $8K-$10K was a minor portion of the cost, but thats not right now.

RA2 dimmers are usually under $120. $150 would be MSRP.

interesting week, After resetting everything and starting over staying inside the Leviton garden, VRUSB, only Leviton switches and not even trying to include others, using Win7, this thing now works like a champ.  My frustrations with Hue (see other thread) led me to buy another 8 devices to replace my Intermatic POS (including a scene controller). So far i've only been able to replace 2, including next to the front door where I put the scene controller.  I got 2 of the 3 controller buttons working as I only could think of 2 scenes but it was pretty straight forward.

I'll post about my (negative) Hue experience in the other thread, but it seems the adage is true (for me):  Stay within the desired ecosystem and all is good. Leave the eco-system and its caveat emptor.

Back