Nuvo Music Port MPS4

Did you buy that software or is it a download from NuVo? I'm pretty sure I didn't get any software with my GC and I can't find anywhere to download it on their site.
I'm not sure if you're still needing the configurator software, but wanted to pass along that I found a place to download it (not nuvo as I don't have access to prozone). Search nuvo configurator software download in Google and the first hit you get should be the place. The configurator software appears to be a recent version - 2.65 (sometime in 2010 I think). I have successfully used it, along with a USB to Serial adapter cable I bought at radio shack, to access my GC and do some programming. I'm very new to all this but as far as I can tell it worked like a charm. Again, I'm novice so if someone knows of any issue with the software I referenced please chime in as I'd love to know too.

I'm not sure if you're still needing the configurator software, but wanted to pass along that I found a place to download it (not nuvo as I don't have access to prozone). Search nuvo configurator software download in Google and the first hit you get should be the place. The configurator software appears to be a recent version - 2.65 (sometime in 2010 I think). I have successfully used it, along with a USB to Serial adapter cable I bought at radio shack, to access my GC and do some programming. I'm very new to all this but as far as I can tell it worked like a charm. Again, I'm novice so if someone knows of any issue with the software I referenced please chime in as I'd love to know too.
2.65 is the most current version.. IIRC to get access to the prozone you just have to pass a small test on the nuvo site to become proficient enough to install the system. The configuration software allows you to rename zones and sources along with changing all the other little things which you're able to do now through the keypads. The prozone also contains the latest updates to the rest of their sources.. though i think only the original music port and new mp server are the only ones who's firmware doesn't automatially get updated when you update the grand concerto's firmware anymore. It's pretty easy to pick up and figure out in 5 mins, though it does require you to hook up your nuvo to a pc with a serial cable to upload the configuration once you're done with it. FYI lots of people get errors uploading their config from using those usb to serial cables just in case you run into them.

2.65 is the most current version.. IIRC to get access to the prozone you just have to pass a small test on the nuvo site to become proficient enough to install the system. The configuration software allows you to rename zones and sources along with changing all the other little things which you're able to do now through the keypads. The prozone also contains the latest updates to the rest of their sources.. though i think only the original music port and new mp server are the only ones who's firmware doesn't automatially get updated when you update the grand concerto's firmware anymore. It's pretty easy to pick up and figure out in 5 mins, though it does require you to hook up your nuvo to a pc with a serial cable to upload the configuration once you're done with it. FYI lots of people get errors uploading their config from using those usb to serial cables just in case you run into them.
Thanks for the info.

When I went to local radio shack looking for a USB to serial adapter and a cable, or stuff with which to make a cable (as I knew how it need needed to be pinned) the only thing they had was this cable (Model: 26-949) that was usb on one end, db9 on the other, with a black box in the middle. I figured for sure it wouldn't work after all the trouble I'd read about people having trying to connect to the GC. But it was returnable if didn't work so gave it a try.

Installed the XP drivers for it on my Acer netbook (where I had configurator software installed), plugged in and worked great. Downloaded factory config from GC, made changes and then successfully uploaded changes. Immediately saw changes (Source name, brightness adjustments, clock when off, etc.) show up on the 3 KP's I currently have installed.

I guess I need to look into this option of getting access to prozone. I assumed, from what I had read, that it was only open to authorized installers.

Ahhh, this is all great news. At this point I've been able to do most things from the keypads (rename zones, etc...), but I really want to rename a few sources from "Source 5" and "Source 6" to more descriptive names.

Another question: Does the configurator software have any IR libraries in it, or do I have to buy the IR learning station to get codes to control devices? Basically, I have a Rotel CD Player that was otherwise unused, so I hooked it up to a GC Zone. It would be nice to be able to skip tracks, etc. from a keypad. Obviously not that important (especially with the MPS4 and all of its options), and definitely not worth actually buying the IR Learning station, but if it was a manner of downloading the right software, and running a little IR blaster cable, I definitely want to do it.

Another question: Does the configurator software have any IR libraries in it, or do I have to buy the IR learning station to get codes to control devices?

Although I haven't tried to use any of the IR functions yet it did appear to me that the configurator software had a long list of device codes already present. I don't know if your particular device was listed or not am, unfortunately, not in front of computer right now to check.

Swancoat, if you have the original Music Port, the MPS4, or the MPS4 Elite you'd never have a use for a CD player.

The music server plays music from your networked PCs, from specified folders. You drop your CD into a PC CD player, the PC rips the tracks onto the local hard drive, and the music server is then able to play those music files through the GC.

Neurorad, you're right. I've been running the MPS4 for almost a month now, and haven't thought of needing to listen to a CD once yet. It's more a matter of a)I have a CD player just sitting there doing nothing, and I have an available input on the GC, so for the cost of an RCA interconnect, I'm up and running. Also, sometimes my brother-in-law comes over with some disc of obscure music he thinks we should listen to, so I could use it for that. Although, as I say, I'm already as functional as I need to be. If I can add IR control basically for free, I'll do it just because I can and I'm like that. :D

Another question: Does the configurator software have any IR libraries in it, or do I have to buy the IR learning station to get codes to control devices? Basically, I have a Rotel CD Player that was otherwise unused, so I hooked it up to a GC Zone. It would be nice to be able to skip tracks, etc. from a keypad. Obviously not that important (especially with the MPS4 and all of its options), and definitely not worth actually buying the IR Learning station, but if it was a manner of downloading the right software, and running a little IR blaster cable, I definitely want to do it.

I have not tried this yet, but I know the GC keypads have IR "eyes" and that the GC comes with IR blasters that can be plugged in to the back of the main GC box. I would assume that you can take your CD players stock remote and have the GC keypad send the IR signal to the GC which would then echo/blast the IR to the CD player.

Let us know if it works.

I have not tried this yet, but I know the GC keypads have IR "eyes" and that the GC comes with IR blasters that can be plugged in to the back of the main GC box. I would assume that you can take your CD players stock remote and have the GC keypad send the IR signal to the GC which would then echo/blast the IR to the CD player.

I can confirm that this works fine. I've used it to control external sources with my GC, using the device's native IR remote.

Jeff

Let us know if it works.

Well, you guys were right. It was easy to get the software from NuVo. Picked up a USB-Serial Converter from Fry's and I was off to the races. Got my sources renamed, no problem.

Now, as far as controlling my CD Player goes. Ace is pointing out that I can do an IR passthrough from the keypads to the device - which isn't quite what I want to do. I want to have those codes known to the GC, so that when I use the buttons on the keypad (to change track or play/pause), That it tells the CD Player to do that.

Well, there are SOME built in IR libraries, but they are very limited. However, you can easily add a device, and you don't need the learning station to add the codes, you can add Hex Codes directly. Well, Google found me the hex codes (thanks to the guys at remotecentral), and I got them added. I can taste victory.

However, whenever I try to edit a button macro (which is what I need to do to make the 'forward' button execute the 'next track' command, the configurator software hangs up. That's where I am now. Allegedly, some macro editing window is supposed to open which is where I can create/edit these macros, but I get the hourglass and nothing happens.

I'm running this on an Acer Aspire One netbook, and am a longtime Mac guy not a windows guy, so the troubleshooting on this machine is not something I have a lot of experience with. Anyone else have any trouble with the macro editing window?

However, whenever I try to edit a button macro (which is what I need to do to make the 'forward' button execute the 'next track' command, the configurator software hangs up. That's where I am now. Allegedly, some macro editing window is supposed to open which is where I can create/edit these macros, but I get the hourglass and nothing happens.

I'm running this on an Acer Aspire One netbook, and am a longtime Mac guy not a windows guy, so the troubleshooting on this machine is not something I have a lot of experience with. Anyone else have any trouble with the macro editing window?
hmm.. try seeing if you can program in one of the predefined libraries in first and seeing if it's still hangs on you. I have no trouble programming a predefined one in to the buttons. If it doesn't do it with the predefined libraries then i'd say the problem lies with your computer or the program itself.. if you can do it w/ a predefined library, then maybe it's the one you imported giving you problems? Honestly i don't know much about IR libraries, but i don't know if you're able to just import files like that.. i always thought nuvo had some sort of proprietary IR format.. if that's the case, get into contact with martin at automatedoutlet.com, they used to 'rent' out the nuvo EZ IR learning station which would allow you to capture the codes correctly if that's what's causing it to hang.

I don't think that's the issue, since I can't even get that far, frankly. As soon as I try to even get into the editing mode it hangs up. I'll keep trying to troubleshoot and see what I can come up with. I have to remember, I'm largely doing this, "because I can" (or because I think I can). It's certainly not anything important.

Anyone know the latency of ripping a CD -> available for play, on the MPS4? How soon can you listen to an album after dropping a CD into the PC CD tray?

Yeah, this would be the smart way to just 'play a cd'. Part of my issue is that I have a Mac, and so far there is no auto-sync tool for Mac. Lame.

Back