OmniPro and Kwikset

JonW said:
I do think the Yale locks look like a better option overall (I have no experience with them though).  Did you do the ones with or without keypads?

Are you going to off-load your Kwikset ones?
I will say they are more expensive than the Kwikset locks, but you can find good deals here and there. Both Kwikset and Yale locks use a "module" for Z-Wave and Zigbee, so its sometimes cheaper to buy a non-Zigbee lock and add the module sold on eBay. 

I don't know of any without keypads, but some have "touchscreen" keypads and others have actual keypads.  Living in AZ, the "touchscreen" don't last long in the sun, and they are hard to see, so I use the button kind there. I use the other kind in my garage inside door. They all seem to be pretty reliable.

The good part about the Kwikset locks is they can easily be rekeyed the same, but that also is their security vulnerability. The Yale locks all have different keys, but you really just need to carry one as backup, in case ALL batteries die. 

cobra said:
Wow, I hear you, ano. I have a kwikset z-wave lock. I like it, except for the battery setup. Maybe I should hard wire it. Like you said, if I replace batteries on a regular schedule, things are great. If it runs out of battery, I usually notice, because it's the first hop from my VRC0P and the Z-Wave response will be delayed while the Z-Wave recovers the route. If I replace batteries then, everything is fine. But if I don't notice and the batteries really die, then sometimes it un-pairs. This happened a couple weeks ago and I haven't bothered to re-pair it yet.
I did have a module for Z-Wave and tried in in the Kwikset lock, but I couldn't get that to pair with SmartThings either, so maybe just a bad lock. The pairing LED went on when I pressed the A button, but SmartThings didn't seem to find it.

JonW said:
When my Kwikset lock batteries get low, it beeps on re-lock.  It's pretty annoying and I'll replace them within a day or two to get it to stop.  Batteries tend to last about 2 months.
Wow, two months, is that true? Zigbee ones last about a year, but my problem is some of the locks are on doors I don't use often. My Yale ones are going on two years and just needed replacing.

If I the Kwikset lock when the batteries were almost dead, it would beep, but other doors I probably passed that point without knowing it. 

Yes it also probably unpaired when the battery is dead, but my ZIM is high up in the closet, so I never really know. Snaplink or Space really doesn't tell you either. They randomly say Locked or UnLocked but until you try to change it, you really don't know if it really works.  With SmartThings I can see on my phone if each is connected and battery level. Its much more reassuring. The Omni doesn't tell you much of anything unless your using the ZIM.  

ano said:
Wow, two months, is that true? Zigbee ones last about a year, but my problem is some of the locks are on doors I don't use often. My Yale ones are going on two years and just needed replacing. 

Yes, about 2-3 months when both my daughters are in the house.  It probably does the auto-relock about 30 times a day.  Now that both of them just headed back to college, battery life will probably jump significantly.

JonW said:
Yes, about 2-3 months when both my daughters are in the house.  It probably does the auto-relock about 30 times a day.  Now that both of them just headed back to college, battery life will probably jump significantly.
I have 5 locks, they each use 4 batteries, that's a lot of batteries.

ano said:
I have 5 locks, they each use 4 batteries, that's a lot of batteries.
I only have one lock.  It was from the very first batch released so maybe it has "issues" that cause high battery usage. 

Had 2 kwickset zwave locks for many years. The batteries last ~ 8 months with moderate usage. I control them via VRCOP as it has an API. I use a modem splitter to share it between the Omni and my HA PC, and that way I can get all events from the locks. It transmits a low battery warning, and you can also poll it for battery level. Once the level dips below 50% I display the message on my betabrites. It can go to 10% without loosing functionality, but that would generate a "critical battery level" message from the lock.

picta said:
Had 2 kwickset zwave locks for many years. The batteries last ~ 8 months with moderate usage. I control them via VRCOP as it has an API. I use a modem splitter to share it between the Omni and my HA PC, and that way I can get all events from the locks. It transmits a low battery warning, and you can also poll it for battery level. Once the level dips below 50% I display the message on my betabrites. It can go to 10% without loosing functionality, but that would generate a "critical battery level" message from the lock.

Well, that would be handy.  I don't get any battery warning now and the lock isn't used often.  If I miss it by a month it dies sometimes.

I'm trying to install a Kwikset convert lock to my HAI ZIM.

It paired easily on one try after pressing the A button on the lock 4 times.

The issue is, the ZIM/Omni/Snaplink sees it as a light, not a lock?

Has anyone seen this issue?

Is there a fix?  :)

Make sure you have the latest ZIM firmware. I've seen that problem.  If you have an Echo, or Smarthings, or Habitat or Google whatever, they all work with Kwikset locks better than the ZIM.  You can control them with your phone, lock them at a certain time, etc.  I use the Habitat with the Yale Zigbee locks, its amazing.  Not only can I control the locks, I can add lock codes, up to 100 of them, I think, and I can name each code.  And the Habitat logs each entry and what code is used.  So much better than what the Omni can do.

Here are the instructions from HAI copied and pasted here...

Omni/Lumina ZigBee Lock Integration, Controller Firmware 3.10
INTRODUCTION

Leviton Omni and Lumina family controllers support two-way integration with ZigBee wireless locks. The controller can lock and unlock the locks and monitor changes in the states of the locks. Locking/unlocking a lock can trigger automation programs in the controller, and the state of the lock can be used as a condition in the automation programming.

The integration has been specifically verified with the Black & Decker Kwikset SmartCode locks and Yale Real Living™ Push Button Deadbolt and Yale Real Living™ Touchscreen Deadbolt locks, but it should work with other locks that support the standard ZigBee Home Automation profile lock cluster.
INSTALLATION

The Omni or Lumina controller connects to the ZigBee network by using a Model 81A00-3ZB ZigBee Interface Module (ZIM). Set the jumper on the controller serial port to the “485” position. Set the Serial Function for the serial port on the controller to ZigBee.

The ZIM serves as the coordinator for the ZigBee network. Individual ZigBee devices need to be enrolled through the coordinator before they may participate in the ZigBee network. When a device is enrolled in the ZigBee network, it is assigned a unique four digit address by the coordinator. This address is used by the controller to access the device. ZigBee devices may also be disbanded through the coordinator to remove them from the network.

Devices may be enrolled or disbanded by using the ZIM directly or by using PC Access software to command the ZIM. The recommended method is to use PC Access software to ensure that the ZigBee addresses are stored in the PC Access account file.

The ZIM must be running firmware version 14.08 or later. Use the Leviton ZigBee Updater to update the ZIM firmware if necessary. The HAI ZigBee Updater software can be found at http://www.homeauto.com/ZigBeeUpdater/.

Installation Using  PC Access

First, connect to the Omni or Lumina controller using the PC Access software.

ZigBee locks appear under the Access Control section of PC Access. To set up locks, click on the button in the “Device Type/Address” column for the desired access control device. Set the “Access Control Device Type” to “ZigBee Lock”. If the address is non-zero, a ZigBee lock has already been enrolled.  If this is not the correct device, press the “Disband” button in the dialog box to disband the current device. After any existing lock has been disbanded, press the “Enroll” button in the dialog box. Then place the new ZigBee lock in the enrollment mode by following the manufacturer instructions for the lock. If the enrollment process is successful, the ZigBee address for the lock will be shown.

Note that if PC Access is not connected to the  controller, the “Enroll” and “Disband” buttons will be disabled. ZigBee addresses may be manually entered if the ZigBee network has been previously configured by using the ZIM directly.

To place a Black & Decker Kwikset SmartCode lock into enrollment mode, first remove the cover from the lock assembly. Press the top right button nine times until both the red and white lights blink. Then press the top left button four times until both the red and white lights blink.

Installation Using ZIM

Follow the instructions for the ZIM to manually configure the ZigBee network. Record the ZigBee address for each ZigBee device enrolled at the ZIM, and then enter these addresses manually into PC Access as described above.

OPERATION

ZigBee locks are controllable through the “Access Control” section of Leviton IP-based user interfaces. Locks are not directly controllable through Omni or Lumina consoles or  OmniTouch 3.9/5.7 console bus-connected touchscreens.

Automation programming for locks may be entered through the “Access Control” sections of PC Access software. Changes in the state of a lock can be used to trigger automation programming, and the state of a lock may be used as a condition in automation programming. Commands to lock/unlock the lock may also be entered.

LEVITON CONTROLLER COMPATABILITY

ZigBee locks are supported by Leviton Omni LTe, Omni IIe, OmniPro II, Lumina and Lumina Pro systems. The systems must be utilizing controller firmware 3.10 or later.

Ano -- thank you for your thoughts -- I agree with them.

Pete, thank you -- I have to look at THIS and see if it will fix the issue:

"ZigBee locks appear under the Access Control section of PC Access. To set up locks, click on the button in the “Device Type/Address” column for the desired access control device. Set the “Access Control Device Type” to “ZigBee Lock”. If the address is non-zero, a ZigBee lock has already been enrolled."

THIS is also important to know:

"ZigBee locks are controllable through the “Access Control” section of Leviton IP-based user interfaces. Locks are not directly controllable through Omni or Lumina consoles or  OmniTouch 3.9/5.7 console bus-connected touchscreens."

Some of the Omni's integrated devices are SO not ready for prime time. UGH!

I'm also checking out "August Home 4th gen wifi deadbolts" as well...

I found the “Access Control” section in PC Access and properly set up the Zigbee lock where the "reader 1" previously was shown.

I see in the status/control section of PC Access where the drop down menu says access control and the only control options for that selection are either "lock" or "unlock."

I can see that the access control options for control and lock states would be easily available to add as new lines of programming.

In Snaplink, the Zigbee lock still appears as a light bulb with on/off/dim commands and percentages.  Does that ever change to a lock in Snaplink when property configured?

You have to have Snaplink reload new configuration and sync the configuration.  Typically it just syncs what is already configured on Snaplink.  Just remove it or add a new OmniPro 2 panel and use that one. 

Here never liked or used any smart locks and prefer the old fashioned way to unlock and lock the door.  That is me.

UPDATESo I just realized there's a new category in my Snaplink that says "Access" and in that category the lock appears as a lock with the only buttons there being "Lock" and "Unlock" -- exactly as it should be!

HOWEVER: In the "Control" category in my Snaplink the lock still also shows there as a light bulb.  Also in control in addition to the lock, there are certain outputs that I use for arming and for controlling my heater that are programmed to be controlled in other ways other than using Snaplink, such as user buttons that control the outputs.

I'm suspecting everything appearing in control whether I want it there or not is just the wonky way HAI designed the Snaplink... ugh. 

Back