Omnipro weirdness! Help!

Why is the omni so vulnerable to network traffic?

Because of the design of the integration of the NIC chip to fit with a serial bus designed board.

Opened a ticket a few years ago with Leviton.  They stated no fix at the time for an overly promiscuous  NIC port which took down the serial bus on the panel.  

Have a read here ==> it is buried here a few years ago (2013)

Home Automation, Inc (HAI)

I saw this issue crop up when I went over 50 devices on my network a few years back.

Leviton did try to fix it in the firmware and did not succeed.

The fix is to route the traffic from the Ethernet port using a firewall or a L2/L3 managed switch.

I figured this out testing with old hubs and managed L2 switches a few years back (2013)

The fix I used here was a micro travel router with two NICs powered by a bucky transformer (Panel 12VDC ==> 5VDC) and shutting off the Wireless radio.

Specifically I used a  XXX with OpenWRT firmware.  It fits between the daughter boards on the OP2 and the side wall of the HAI can.

Since implementation I have not had issues with my time sync, serial bus devices (consoles, thermostats, Omnitouch 5.7 screens) and network port.

Made a sticky on the Homeseer forum over here ==> 

Microrouter DIY for use with the Omni Pro Panel Ethernet port

Today you can just plug the port in to a managed L2/L3 switch and route the traffic from OmniPro 2 panel.  

Is this what you did personally?  Its my damn network - not sure why something is going crazy on my network

Neil

This is fantastic information.  I am going to instapaper it ASAP.

I think- I have a bad camera thats messing things up.  I rebooted my switch and it didn't come back.  I am going to replace some ends.  I had a bad crimper insert at one point that wouldn't allow me to make decent cables AT all.

I will play around today.  I was under the weather but feeling better now. Thanks!

Neil

Ok router is in.  I have a wide wide subnet so I ended up using 172.16.0.1 for the router and .2 for my omni.  I turned back on a bunch of ipads.  The system has been going bonkers over the past 24 hours.

Ill let you know how it does!

Thanks,

Neil

Yeah per DIY I wrote use a very small network on the LAN side...like maybe ...

192.168.0.1  / 255.255.255.252  /30 IP for the interface on the LAN side and

192.168.0.2 IP for the OmniPro IP.

Use this for your calculations:

hxxp://www.subnet-calculator.com/

I opened only 22 (ssh), 80 (web management), 4369 (OmniPro panel), 514 (syslog) to the WAN side of the firewall.  

SHUT OFF the radio on the micro router as you do not need it and it draws more power with it on.

Note too that the WAN port is on your LAN and doesn't go out to the internet unless you make changes to your ISP connected firewall.

Using the OpenWRT side of the micro router will let you watch traffic in and out of the Omnipro 2 panel.

There are all kinds of utilities you can install with OpenWRT depending on much much memory you have free.

IE: Status / Realtime graphs / ethernet interface (pick LAN or WAN side).

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1384]

I used the wan port as the original Omnipro IP so all original outside port forwarding is working.

I left the wifi on, only because i used it to configure the router when I was having issues connecting.  After renumbering the lan side I got things working so I could shut it down.  I am not using the bucky transformer.  This router is on my switch side not the omnipro side - if that makes sense so it has full power.

Thanks!

Neil

I used the wan port as the original Omnipro IP so all original outside port forwarding is working.

Yes per DIY set up.

Note your microrouter should have two GUI's; one simple with a lot of pictures and the standard OpenWRT gui which is what I use here.

It's been a few years now.  Thinking I updated the firmware once or twice.  You really don't need to do this though.

I do occassionally reboot the device but typically not necessary as hardly any traffic passes through it.

So I was going to report that everything seemed good but then at like 7:15 the system beeped crazy!  Just like before.  Also I am noticing that my 2 x a day reports aren't coming in which indicates some problem.  I have to get the logs manually and then it will start emailing.  I got last nights report but missed my noon one today.  Im not sure what the heck is going on but something still isn't right.

The ONLY thing I can think of is either the traffic is coming over the correct port OR its my other omnipro on the network getting the crap network information and passing it via rs485 to this panel.  The omnipro on the other building appears to be functioning 100% normal.

I spoke too soon - as usual.  I just opened up the other system in Haiku and its showing com errors on that second omnipro.  I just ordered another router.

I have never owned or used Haiku.  I have read here on the Cocoontech forum of issues relating to the use of Haiku and network disconnect issues.

Here have multiple IP connections over to the OmniPro 2 panel with no communication errors

1 - Homeseer Omni Plugin (multiple instances)
2 - IP cameras viewing via JPG captures (multiple IP cameras)
3 - Omnitouch 5.7e's and Omnitouch Pro software on tabletops
4 - OmniLinkBridge to MQTT plugin.
5 - newest version of OmniPro mobile software (only connect via VPN)
6 - PCA dealer access software

Did you notice any connectivity problems with these programs when the omni was beeping?

Its weird I am just poling the thermostats when its acting weird!

Back