OmniTouch 7

From a Worthington CEDIA email: "OmniTouch 7 will soon see a firmware update that adds camera popup based on an event, expanded Somfy shade support, dealer info screen, security alert beeps, and support for 16 screens per system."  SJ

OT7 lockups on version 1.7 whenever the OmniPro II is offline such as temporary network interruption.  At least when it's not locked up, camera popup is working for MJPEG but no H.264.  Only option is to disconnect power which is easy if running PoE but no when using power supply.

Seems like the OT7 needs a software routine that causes it to timeout and restart/reboot after xx seconds/minutes when it cannot reach its OPii.

Now for the latest saga with these touchscreens...

Is anyone else using them for window treatment control? If so, are your buttons on the OT rendering wonky where you cannot see the bottom (down) buttons? It's like they got squished on the bottom of the screen somehow. (see photo)

Cheers,
Jcd

Attachments

• IMG_2755.JPG
    IMG_2755.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 12
Anyone know how often the OT7 polls the OPII?

Today I was troubleshooting a "low battery" notice... basically the OPII battery needed replacement, which we did, but then the "Low Battery" notifications would not go away on the OT7's... after scratching our heads, testing the battery with a meter, checking connections, etc. it occurred to us to reboot the OT7's and viola! only then did the message went away. 

What this tells me is that the OT7 does not poll the OPII very often for status updates. The elapsed time on this was about five hours between the time the battery was replaced and when the touchscreens were rebooted - so we're not talking about seconds or minutes here! 

Does anyone know how often the OT7 polls the OPII, and if there are different intervals for different things (i.e., security versus messages versus device status)? Are some things (e.g., error messages, as in this instance) never polled and only reset on a reboot??

Thanks,
Jcd

StarTrekDoors said:
Seems like the OT7 needs a software routine that causes it to timeout and restart/reboot after xx seconds/minutes when it cannot reach its OPii.

Hear! Hear!  A watchdog is definitely needed.

jcdavis said:
Anyone know how often the OT7 polls the OPII?

Today I was troubleshooting a "low battery" notice... basically the OPII battery needed replacement, which we did, but then the "Low Battery" notifications would not go away on the OT7's... after scratching our heads, testing the battery with a meter, checking connections, etc. it occurred to us to reboot the OT7's and viola! only then did the message went away. 

What this tells me is that the OT7 does not poll the OPII very often for status updates. The elapsed time on this was about five hours between the time the battery was replaced and when the touchscreens were rebooted - so we're not talking about seconds or minutes here! 

Does anyone know how often the OT7 polls the OPII, and if there are different intervals for different things (i.e., security versus messages versus device status)? Are some things (e.g., error messages, as in this instance) never polled and only reset on a reboot??

Thanks,
Jcd
 I don't have any experience with the OT7.   But I believe the OT7 doesn't poll the controller.  Instead the controller pushes notifications which are received by the OT7.  The low battery condition would be considered a "other" event notification which should be received by the OT7.

I have a Linux back end server that receives notifications from the OP2.  Without exception, my server receives these notifications within a second or two after they occur.   So, I would assume the OT7 would receive any (all) notifications within a second or two.

The OT7 can have the ability to poll the controller to request a system status which would provide the condition of the battery.  But this can put a load on the OP2 if you have a lot of clients (OT7's) polling the controller not to mention increased network traffic.  Polling was used prior to HAI/Leviton implementation of push notifications.  Polling required a client (OT7) to establish a connection to the  controller and request info such as system status and the connection would be lost after so many minutes of inactivity.  I believe after 5 minutes of inactivity.

Push notifications on the other hand have a watchdog time to keep the connection alive which eliminates the need to keep reestablishing the connection as found in the polling method.  For example, my Linux server has been connected to my OP2 for more than a month without any issue.  All notifications are received instantaneously.

I do believe the OT7 is using the notification method as opposed to the "old school" polling method.  IMHO, it's a lot more efficient.

Just a thought, I'm assuming the OT7 picks up a dynamic IP address from DHCP.  Can you ping the OT7 after it does something quirky to determine whether or not the source of the problem is with the OT7 network connection?  For example, it cannot reestablish a lost connection.

BobS0327 said:

Just a thought, I'm assuming the OT7 picks up a dynamic IP address from DHCP.  Can you ping the OT7 after it does something quirky to determine whether or not the source of the problem is with the OT7 network connection?  For example, it cannot reestablish a lost connection.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the thoughtful and informative reply.

I actually had another issue today, and I saw your addendum so I was able to check to see if I could ping, which I could.

The issue today was that I received a call from the Central Station on a sensor fault. All of the touchscreens were silent on the matter, but I went to both the console and the single old OT 5.7 we have and both clearly indicated the fault. So it is one more bit of evidence that the OT7 is not getting updated as/when it needs to.

To answer your other question, all of the OT7's are assigned static IP's, and yes, I can ping them all. I get zero packet loss and a <1ms TTL=64 on all of them.

Thanks,
Jcd

I was at a friends house installing 3 of these new OT7's. They all powered up fine and connected to the controller. But 1 of the 3 appeared to get BRICKED when the firmware was being updated. Now it will not power up completely. The green light lights and the screen briefly illuminates when power is applied, but the LEVITON logo is never displayed and it never wakes up. The other two took the update just fine.

Is there a way to push the firmware update over the local USB port on the OT7? We tried everything (Remove power - HARD reset button) and the 1 screen just seems BRICKED.  

Any advice or is this just have to be exchanged?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi dwalt - you have to be connected to the OmniPro II, and then you'll see it listed under the "Communications" menu of PCA. (make sure you have 3.14)

JC - I have posted a similar screen capture in a note I posted. I can confirm the issue with the squashed buttons along with the "non-chalant" comments from Leviton that they are aware of the problem.

Back