Perimeter security system

and you believe that two PIR units would false at the same time if they were located 10m apart and facing opposite directions?

Not to be funny, but do you want to come visit or do you want the history in an .xls?

A simplistic burg panel does not have the intelligence, even with cross zoning, to be able to effectively discriminate a false alarm on outdoor detection circuits. I've installed hundreds of full bore systems on very high risk sites and flight lines that far exceed what most pay for a car, not to mention the design specification is to have 100% coverage with pattern overlap.

This is some of the stuff I put in:

http://catalogs.infocommiq.com/avcat/images/documents/brochure/GBRLiterature.pdf

I am not worried about alarm panel intelligence. A simple contact AND circuit is easy enough for a first year electrician apprentice to wire.

Your experience should make you quite qualified to answer that simple question.

Form the little I  have seen with these cheap MS units, wind causing sudden temperature changes seems to be the major cause of false triggers. What do you think the chances of two units false triggering when facing opposite directions about 10m apart?

Are there pressure sensors that can be mounted below the soil surface?  It would only catch footsteps that are close enough to it, but I would imagine it's also unlikely to false alarm?

I have some buried soil moisture sensors and, interestingly, they register when someone steps on the ground above them.  I wouldn't utilize them for an alarm system though, because as-built the updates are too infrequent, among other reasons.

@ Larry, the wiring is not the issue, the detection circuits false at some point or another. Without getting into the design and build of the system and other specifics and discounting a "simple" installation of a pair of contacts:

Each sensor is DEOLR, surged and opto-isolated. Shields also bonded. They are also linked via logic on an access control system and have very specific items and conditionals written to mitigate the false alarms as much as possible. We had their engineers visit the site when false alarms were deemed an issue prior to writing the logic and programming the panels to inhibit as many falses as possible. Everything is 100% dead nuts or +/- 2% tolerance (which is unheard of on installations normally). There are no temperature issues (silicone heating pads installed) and frosting or other enviromental is not an issue. The units are within fenced open topped exhibits and the bird immunity is active and tested. The units false at some point or another with no pattern or weather explanation (though snow does sink the IR signature down).

@ Never: Pressure is not what is used, it is referred to as a "leaky coax" or ported coax system. Very labor intensive to install and adjust and also subject to false alarms depending on the installed enviroment. Sometimes just as bad as a MW or PE based system.

So it sounds like my suggestion would probably work just fine and be next to impossible to have a false alarm even if the two units were sensing from the same direction.

I doubt we would need to go to the quality and expense of the units you dealt with though.

@ Larry, I never said that, you're confusing what you want to hear with what was said by myself. Your suggestion will not work fine and will not mitigate or lessen a false alarm. Your example is no different than how beam tower pairs are installed.

Outdoor sensors, even those wired in parallel or via cross zone pairs will false, it's just a matter of when. As I said, the install I referenced has multiple units installed in that exact same manner and the result is the same with a lot of back end logic and discrimination.

I just drew a conclusion from you, as an expert,  not answering  the simple question posed  twice.

You did tell me how your systems and units are complex and reliable  but stated nothing about the topic or addressed the concept indicating, to me,  you didn't understand it or didn't read it. Telling me they fault rarely indicates the concept should work just fine.

I remember when I visited the nuclear missle museum in Tucson, Arizona (where you can see an actual nuclear missle silo and command center from roughly the 1960's era), in those days they had a chain link fence around the permieter, and IIRC they had some kind of really big horn microwave motion detector for alerting the missle crew to intruders.  It was big enough that it looked like it could double as some kind of powerful weapon (and who knows, maybe it did), but more likely it was just state-of-the-art for that era.

A bit more on big microwave looking antennas. 

The Long Range Acoustic Device (LRAD), also known as a sound cannon, is an acoustic hailing device and sonic weapon developed by LRAD Corporation to send messages, warnings, and harmful, pain inducing tones over longer distances than normal loudspeakers. LRAD systems have been used to counter piracy, as non-lethal crowd control weapons, and as communication devices.

According to the manufacturer's specifications, the systems weigh from 15 to 320 pounds (6.8 to 145.1 kg) and can emit sound in a 30° beam at 2.5 kHz.

LRAD systems are used by maritime, law enforcement, military and commercial security companies to send instructions and warnings over distances, and to force compliance. LRAD is also used to deter wildlife from airport runways, wind and solar farms, nuclear power facilities, mining and agricultural operations and other industrial facilities.

Long Range Acoustic Device

Not so much for detection you can DIY a small perimeter LRAD for less than $100. 

It works so well that you have to search for the DIY's on the internet (well not hidden though). They are there.

Avoidance of the sound works; continued long term exposure will cause damage to the auditory apparatus, nausa, vomiting, et al.

Short term exposure will causing some ringing and deafness for maybe a day or so.

Think of it as a 140 dB ultrasonic sound horn (you can't hear it; you just feel it).  (you can do wide or narrow sound dispersion).

Thinking years ago it was just referred to as an (acoustic) pain field generator.

LarrylLix said:
 I just drew a conclusion from you, as an expert,  not answering  the simple question posed  twice.

You did tell me how your systems and units are complex and reliable  but stated nothing about the topic or addressed the concept indicating, to me,  you didn't understand it or didn't read it. Telling me they fault rarely indicates the concept should work just fine.
False, actually, I chose to ignore the elementary summary of installation methodology that was referenced in post #18. A monkey can make a series or parallel connection with any device and not understand why it's a good or bad idea. Apologies, I didn't see an actual question posted twice by yourself. Your first post was a very simplistic summary of how a cross zone pair or pool works and already exists. It is a band-aid for system design and false alarms and should really not be used a basis of design for a system.

There is no guideline as to what generates a false in relation to the detector itself....it can be environmental or a physical item and it's not limited to a simplistic view of a particular technology over another, such as PIR sections always false while MW does not or PE's work fine but PIR's false. Outdoor system have a very high false incident rate, period. There it is spelled out. If you want reliability and a less falses while maintaining performance and the ability to actually determine a valid signal compared to a false, it's not going to happen with any number of detectors installed in parallel or series until you get into a larger layered system and start tracking the movements between items that trigger and then work on signatures and patterns with analytics.

A pair of detectors increases the likelyhood of a false if you don't have back ended logic and a clear layered system design. It'll also decrease the overall sensitivity and effectiveness of the system as a whole. Wired in parallel, then you have twice the amount of variables that generate an actual alarm condition with half the ability to discriminate.

An alarm panel, even those with cross zoning, do not have the intelligence to effectively be connected to an outdoor detection circuit for anything other than basic annunciation functionality. In the case of cross zoning, in the event of a trouble being reported (when the first zone trips) it may not be possible to discriminate which detector generated the initial knock on the zone pool, and forget about this if you wire detectors in parallel.

It would seem you haven't read and for sure not understood my post concepts  so we'll just have to leave it with you thinking that paralleling contacts would create  wired "AND" logic. *sigh*

Thanks anyway. Perhaps another day.

*Le Whatever*

I know and understand the boolean created. If you'd like to discuss system design and actual deployed systems and functionality, feel free, but what do I know.

pete_c said:
A bit more on big microwave looking antennas. 

Long Range Acoustic Device

Not so much for detection you can DIY a small perimeter LRAD for less than $100. 

It works so well that you have to search for the DIY's on the internet (well not hidden though). They are there.

Avoidance of the sound works; continued long term exposure will cause damage to the auditory apparatus, nausa, vomiting, et al.

Short term exposure will causing some ringing and deafness for maybe a day or so.

Think of it as a 140 dB ultrasonic sound horn (you can't hear it; you just feel it).  (you can do wide or narrow sound dispersion).

Thinking years ago it was just referred to as an (acoustic) pain field generator.
If I could use it to vanish the squirrels that like to gnaw on my house, it would be worth the $100.  It looks like you have to aim it though, so I guess you'd need to automate the aiming as well?

I looked it up, and that Titan missle base used dopler radar for detecting intruders.  Here's a photo:

Titan_13.jpg

It looks like you have to aim it though, so I guess you'd need to automate the aiming as well?

No.

You can do wide dispersion of sound locally.  Have a look at basic speaker tweeter methodologies.  (long range too can be cylinders bonded together or  parabolic focused using the cylinders as the horns).  Multiples arranged for widest dispersion.

Unrelated to sound played with white (bluish) light early Cree lamps and they did literally cause night blindness if you looked at them.  1 watt white light versus warm lighting.  Actually sort of piecing and bad for the retina; especially at night. 

Back