Perimeter security system

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned thermal cameras.  As the technology improves and price decreases, it *seems* like it's becoming a more practical means of detection - far better than IR.  But, I haven't done it myself yet.

LRAD - We have a lake with a very important dam - I got too close on my boat a couple years ago and they blasted it at me... A bit of a trip... but easily circumvented with ear plugs.

Another way is using RGS stuff; well a DIY can be done reasonable in price.  Low voltage use and can even be portable. 

90-140 Db Ultrasonic is used in the EU (and here) in cars left outside where animals start to eat inside wiring stuff or just barking dog nuisances.  It can also serve as a deterrent to trespassers along with the use of some very bright but low voltage LED lighting. 

pete_c said:
Another way is using RGS stuff; well a DIY can be done reasonable in price.  Low voltage use and can even be portable.
What's RGS, or at least what does RGS stand for?

Remote ground sensors; well like geophones.   Portable ones have been used now for many years and work very well.  New technology has made them smaller and more portable.

Geophone 

You can DIY a wireless one (or multiples) for very little cost these days.  In the 1990's I used just to figure out the volume of traffic on an interstate about 1/2 mile away from my home; it did work well. 

Purchase one and play with it.  Its a wondrous little device.

Geophone Seismic Kit

On the Homeseer forum in the early 2000's many HS users did all sorts of stuff with these in their homes.  Thinking one user used them on staircases for automation stuff (an alternative to a PIR thing or in combination with one).

My buried (well tubes) and wired driveway sensors (Cartell) work just fine and its been many years.  I used optical beaming in the old house driveway and always had false triggers with lightning (35 foot or so width beam).

You can also DIY a small 9Ghz Doppler radar for playing with as long as you keep it tuned down a bit for little monies these days.

The Doppler effect that a radar uses: if you send an RF signal at a given frequency to a moving target, the reflected signal’s frequency will be shifted. It is commonly heard when a vehicle sounding a siren or horn approaches, passes, and recedes from an observer.  IE: you can also just modify one of those little hand held speed radar guns which is using a similiar principal.

Similarly you can also hack a temperature gun (very directional); not sure how well it would work outside or range.

You can also do amazing stuff with lasers these days.  Due due some laser modifications of my Christmas display years ago; wife suggested that I not utilize it after first time modified use.

Noticed this in my inbox this morning:

Moving Cameras Track Objects Automatically Friday, 14 November 2014

University of Washington electrical engineers have developed a way to automatically track people across moving and still cameras by using an algorithm that trains the networked cameras to learn one another’s differences. The cameras first identify a person in a video frame, then follow that same person across multiple camera views.

“Tracking humans automatically across cameras in a three-dimensional space is new,” said lead researcher Jenq-Neng Hwang, a UW professor of electrical engineering. “As the cameras talk to each other, we are able to describe the real world in a more dynamic sense.”

Imagine a typical GPS display that maps the streets, buildings and signs in a neighborhood as your car moves forward, then add humans to the picture. With the new technology, a car with a mounted camera could take video of the scene, then identify and track humans and overlay them into the virtual 3-D map on your GPS screen. The UW researchers are developing this to work in real time, which could help pick out people crossing in busy intersections, or track a specific person who is dodging the police.

“Our idea is to enable the dynamic visualization of the realistic situation of humans walking on the road and sidewalks, so eventually people can see the animated version of the real-time dynamics of city streets on a platform like Google Earth,” Hwang said.

Tech Briefs

Source

Work2Play said:
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned thermal cameras.  As the technology improves and price decreases, it *seems* like it's becoming a more practical means of detection - far better than IR.  But, I haven't done it myself yet.
We put in a bunch of Axis ones...expensive but cheaper compared to the real deal (FLIR) cameras. The Axis units are only greyscale. Then again, they're a fraction of Flir's...and still deep in the 4-5 digits depending on model.

They do exist and do function and help assist when there are other items to sense and detect a perimeter, but against a busy thermal background or similar, the distinction on the cheaper units is essentially worthless unless you have analytics assisting whoever is watching them....and someone needs to be constantly watching them when directed by an outdoor source that is detecting the space they are viewing them. I'd put them as more of a tool to go with an outdoor protection system, not to mention the cost of a single piece of worthwhile equipment exceeds the entire system budget of most people.

Used for earthquakes; miles.  Mapping say multiple sensors you will get more granularity.  Best to play yourself.  It's a neato gizmo. 

Personally I call them thumpers; well that is me playing with these now since the 1990's.

To get an idea of their use today; do a quickie patent search.

Test one on any of your cement walks or driveway or grass.  Use a sounder and battery.

You will be amazed if you never have played with one. 

Since you mention a cement walk:  based on your experiences with them, do you recommend I bury it next to the walk, or do I bore a hole into the side of the cement walk and mount it in physical contact with the walk?  May I assume they're waterproof for that type of application?

I can see advantages of that over IR, because it's less visible (maybe invisible) and hence not an eyesore.

No

You can just bury it next to / under or adjacent to the cement walk.  You do have to seal the terminals and wire to protect it from moisture.

Buy 1 first and test and play first.  Put the geophone on the cement.  Well test it in the house putting it on a table or the floor or basement.

Geez these used to be some $5-$10 each.

You can run a long wire from the Geophone to the board with the LEDs on it.  Sensitivity is adjustable.

Thing too what you can do with multiple per LED variables configured for this or for that.  Well this also could be a DIY using a RPi.

IE: used say with your front walk to your front door with IR and maybe a touch step on front door rug you can get really granular.

IR + Geophone + touch front door rug + camera analysis trigger you would get some granularity.

ZM / NVR here records all streams 24/7 but saves only events.  IE: a trigger can do a rewind a few seconds / minutes and a save after the event.

You can make whole little videos of a package delivery or whatever and graph it with whatever variable is triggered during the timeline of the event.

Writing / making paella here ....

It's interesting how far vibrations from ordinary objects can travel.  Reminds me that when NASA was originally testing the Hubble telescope's mirror, the process was so sensitive that they would have to stop if a car traveling closer than three or four miles away was in the vicinity (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/638187.stm).

I'd be curious as to how your geopohone compares to a regular accelerometer that has a 16-bit ADC.  I'm not sure how to compare them, but the accelerometers are comparatively inexpensive at around $5-6 each (http://www.amazon.com/Kootek-Arduino-MPU-6050-gyroscope-accelerometer/dp/B008BOPN40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416473896&sr=8-1&keywords=accelerometer).

Thanks for suggesting it and for reporting your experiences in using them! 

the process was so sensitive that they would have to stop if a car traveling closer than three or four miles away

This building / telescope picture from my old Alma Mater was built around 1910.  It is the very first science building at the school.  Its still there.

3Qt2Jef.jpg

I did have physics classes in the building and played Star Trek on a teletype terminal in the mop closet adjacent to the classroom.  Well too the class and lab was 4 hours long.

The telescope became dysfunctional when the local elevated commuter train system was installed around the same time (1910).  It was a neat old building. 

Geez used a "green" no battery / non electrical powered old fashioned gizmo called a slide ruler back then; it was very portable. Thinking my very first one was made out wood; later they were made from plastic.

I am thinking of having my perimeter protected by motion sensors that turn on dedicated security lighting without activating the alarm itself.  I do want to have a system without too many false activations though.

I have figured out that most motion detectors have 1 normally open and 1 normally closed switch.  I have an adjustable  solid state timer that came from a gas station coin-op tire inflation machine that will translate a low voltage signal to a 110 volt switch.  I could adjust it anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes.

Back