POE security camera system?

newalarm said:
What are SFP slots? I know what it stands for but what is the use?

An SFP slot allows the switch to have flexibility with the type of connection to each slot.  You can easily swap a gigabit copper module for a long wave or short wave fiber connection depending on your needs.

Believe it or not, there's a line of Linksys switches that were rebranded as Sisco during that ordeal that are actually pretty good deals for the money.

Managed would allow you to set up QOS and VLAN's which would help with your application. Depending on the switch, it may or may not help the internal traffic and bandwidth.

I'd suggest getting a POE switch before dropping the cash on a bunch of midspans and then junking them once you get the real switch.

The 8 port / 4 port POE

TL-SG108PE

• 8 10/100/1000Mbps RJ45 ports
  • With 4 PoE ports, data and power can be transferred on one single cable
  • Provides network monitoring, traffic prioritization and VLAN features
  • Simple network set-up on top of plug-and-play connectivity
  • Web-based user interface and Easy Smart Configuration Utility simplify configuration
managed switch is on Amazon for $68.99 with a rebate.

You will not find a more reasonably priced managed 8 port Gb / 4 port POE switch on Amazon today. 

IE: any managed 8 port / POE switch is over $100 right now.

Here is a ZyXEL 8 port POE (GS1900-8) managed switch for $71.68 on Amazon

ZyXEL.jpg

I have an old 24 port ZyXEL switch that is still working fine today.

I noticed that many switches come in a 1/2 pOE, 1/2 regular ports. Why is that? It seems like I would need more POE ports and 2 or so regular Ethernet ports.

Also, If i connect my server to this switch, and the cameras, is there a way for connecting other computers so that you can use it as a monitor to see the cameras and monitor the system? I thought it would be a good way of diverting attention to the true recording device, just in case the thieves wanted to walk of with the DVR to eliminate the evidence.

I could look at spending upwards of 250 for the switch but it would be nice to get a POE+ switch. Though I don't see myself getting PTZ cameras.

I noticed that many switches come in a 1/2 pOE, 1/2 regular ports. Why is that?

It seems like I would need more POE ports and 2 or so regular Ethernet ports.

It is just more cost effective to have a smaller power supply.  Historically the POE switches were used mostly for VOIP telephones / AP's before it was totally standardized (IE: first Cisco POE switches used the Cisco POE standard - well too they were first with this stuff).

Somewhere around here have an el cheapo $19.00 8/4 port POE switch.  It still is working today after around 4 years.

I did start this whole POE thing here with a Cisco POE switch (not Linksys) that I purchased used for a song and dance many years ago (well maybe it was free?  I don't remember anymore).

Also, If i connect my server to this switch, and the cameras, is there a way for connecting other computers so that you can use it as a monitor to see the cameras and monitor the system?

Yes.

Just plug in the switch to another switch using another port on the switch (non POE would be chosen for this).

You could install the NVR anywhere in the home.  

I have friends with businesses that keep their CCTV  NVR in a safe.

I always write baby steps here on CT....easier to learn that way.

I'll openly state I only read the last 20 or so posts - but I'll chime in a couple points...

1. Quite often you can add 3+ stationary cams for the cost of a single PTZ, although prices have come WAY down.
  2. I have one site (non profit organization) with a bunch of different cams from 10 yr old Sony PTZ to 4yr old ACTi, some donated Dahua, Foscam, and Grandstream - and though I think Grandstream usually comes up short on the finish of their User Interfaces, the picture and color on them is outstanding for the price - they're the sharpest ones on the site.
  3. I think you're getting good direction on the cam types... bullets usually have a shield that helps; Domes are great when the protection is above.  I've also used turrets when under eaves with protection but need a little more control on mounting than what a dome offers.
  4. I've preached this all over, but my current favorite desktop switch is still the Netgear GS110TP.  I still haven't seen anything beat it, and I've never had an issue with them.  I've been using them on the IT desks for about 8 years, and have used them countless times in small installs that need POE as well as in situations where I have no choice but to rig things up where I need to split a single Ethernet run to a bunch of powered phones + computers.  In the last 2 years, I've literally used at least 30 of them.  They're POE plus semi-managed. You can do VLANS, QoS, and other things if you grow into that; plus they can do SFP in case you ever need fiber (think outbuilding - run fiber via conduit, then POE for cams and wifi).  Again - Netgear GS110TP.  Oh yeah - lifetime warranty too.

The netgear looks nice in that it has the 10 ports. the two right ports are regular ethernet? The ad says "SFP Gigabit fiber ports"

I am looking to pickup some varifocal cameras. If i understand these properly, they have moth motorized zoom and focus? They all state field of vision/focual lense of 2.8-12mm for example. I take it that you can zoom in and out at those focal lengths?

just to be clear, that's up to 128gb - depending on the SD card you put in it.  I'm sure there are a lot of settings to tweak, such as frame rate, quality, etc that'll probably stretch that from roughly 5 days to 4 weeks give or take.

newalarm said:
I am looking to pickup some varifocal cameras. If i understand these properly, they have moth motorized zoom and focus? They all state field of vision/focual lense of 2.8-12mm for example. I take it that you can zoom in and out at those focal lengths?

When you change the focal length, you are in effect, zooming.  So a 2.8 - 12mm lens will give you a zoom factor of a bit over 4x (12 divided by 2.8).

Back