touchpad firesale starts the 20th

Pete,

have not done too much with it as the wife hijacked it. i've installed preware and OC'd it to 1.5ghz, but that's about it. from the little i've used it, i have to say, i do like webos.

Apparently NewEgg is contacting people who signed up for auto-notify on the TP asking for phone numbers. They will call people and ask if they still want one. I guess it is their way to reduce traffic on their site for the TP. I did sign up for the auto-notify a while back, but haven't heard anything from them yet... maybe that's my last hope :)

Thanks Damage. I've heard good news about the HP WebOS.

I recieved an interesting HP email this morning.

Subject: Important Update about HP TouchPad

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in the HP TouchPad and webOS. The overwhelming demand for this product in recent days has made it difficult to fulfill your request at the present time, and we are working to make more available as soon as possible. While we do not yet have specific details, we know it will be at least a few weeks before we have a limited quantity available again. We will keep you informed as we have more specifics that we can communicate, and we encourage you to join the conversation here for the latest information.

In light of this and other recent HP news, we want you to know that we remain committed to you. We will continue to honor our warranties now and in the future. We will continue delivering products that make a difference in your life and we will continue to provide the best possible service to you every day.

We are grateful for your patience and loyalty and to show our gratitude, we are offering you an exclusive one-time opportunity to save an additional amount on all of our products, valid through the end of the day tomorrow, Wednesday, August 31, 2011. You'll save 25% off all printers, ink, HP accessories, and PCs starting at or above $599. To take advantage of this offer, use your unique coupon code ..... at checkout, and for more information on the details of this offer, please look at the bottom of this email.

Sincerely,

hpdirect.com

I got my best buy 16G yesterday. I like it, except man is it heavy!! It's actually for the wife, I bought a 32G from HP that I haven't heard anything about other than the "we received your order and you will get it.... someday" email. Still waiting though.

BTW, I found an app, forget the name, that I can use with my Google voice number and sure enough, I made a call from my brothers wifi (I'm still out of power in Connecticut) last night and it went through fine. Going to Italy in a few weeks and I think we'll take the touchpad instead of a laptop now. We can make voice calls and skype works as well.

More news from HP this morning about another "batch" run of the HP tablets because of the demand.

One of my favorite little towns in Italy is Asiago. Ended up there for a week once a few years ago as my wife and I wandered around Italy in a rental vehicle. Liked it so much decided to hang around.

I'm not sure if anyone is interested or not, but I was able to use the 25% off HP coupon to order a keyboard, two touchstones and two cases just now. It appears even the accessories are hard to find as I've looked at a few local places and found nothing.

I'm not sure if anyone is interested or not, but I was able to use the 25% off HP coupon to order a keyboard, two touchstones and two cases just now. It appears even the accessories are hard to find as I've looked at a few local places and found nothing.
I ordered toner and ink with mine - got 30 bucks off and free shipping... AND they arrived today, less than 24 hours after my final click. Nice deal.

I hope my Touchpad accessories ship soon as soon as your toner did! I've been looking on many sites and at several stores for them. The Touchstones look very nice for a tabletop charger as they charge the Touchpad inductively. No longer will a user have to unplug a cable in order to hold a touch screen. The form factor is perfect for HA. I'm surprised Apple doesn't do something similar.

I plan to also put Android on at least one Touchpad in the coming weeks so that I can use remote desktop. Feel free to post any suggestions wrt RDP solutions for android and/or webos.

Today the news reports HP will have more to sell in October due to overwhelming demand. Making up for their loss on each unit with sales volume?

Let's think about this from HP's point of view...
Could be genious.
Touchpads never caught on like HP thought they would, so why not give away the first generation, let people see that it really is a good OS and a decent device, too heavy though, and just flood the market with them. This could cause developers to start making apps for them since they are everywhere now, in turn, increasing demand for them, in turn causing the need for the 2nd generation models (listed on HP's site as a 4G model "coming soon") to be released and starting a whole new life for webOS.
Could be the best business tactic they could've chosen!
I have to say I like webOS more than I thought I would and every developer says it's a better OS to write for than Android is so maybe they're on to something.

Today the news reports HP will have more to sell in October due to overwhelming demand. Making up for their loss on each unit with sales volume?

Since they are selling them at below cost, there is no way they can make up for it. As for the new batch, I have read conflicting reports that they might raise the price.

You'd think HP would raise the price of the next batch since the market (ebay) says they're worth a lot more. I think they could easily sell them for $200-$250. It'd still be at a loss, but in the long run it might help HP establish loyal webos customers and encourage more developers to use the platform.

The Touchpad far exceeded my expectations. However, I would have never picked one up if it wasn't for the fire sale. HP was initially too greedy wrt pricing on the Touchpad, demanding a high premium when the platform does not have as many apps as Android or iOS. For example: there appears to be only a few apps for remote desktop and they are all laggy from what I read. Who knows, maybe HP will make webos opensource so that it doesn't die...

HP (?) seeded the "costs" of the build all over the place for something like $300 plus...I'm kind of wondering what the actual costs of the build is...

Back