Upgrade ELK-M1XRF2G to ELK-M1XRFEG

guho

I have an Elk M1 Gold with Elk M1XEP. For GE wireless sensors I currently use an ELK-M1XRF2G. This precludes me from staying up to date with Elk panel firmware updates. The current firmware 5.3.10 supports the ELK-M1XRFEG but not the ELK-M1XRF2G.

Since the cost of the ELK-M1XRFEG is not too great, I might upgrade even though my current system is working fine.

If I were to buy an ELK-M1XRFEG, what is the upgrade procedure? I have dozens of GE wireless sensors (mostly for double-hung windows)  and do not look forward to re-enrolling them one by one, by briefly removing the button battery. I hope there is some way to do a drop-in replacement of the receiver.

Would the following suffice:
- un-enroll ELK-M1XRF2G
- power off ELK
- install ELK-M1XRFEG in place of ELK-M1XRF2G and enroll it on the data bus
- test to see if wireless zones work

Thanks for any advice.

I think you've got it wrong here.

Off the top of my head, I don't believe there is an issue with the receiver or FW, only if you used the Caddx/GE 548E receiver would you be held back.

The only difference between the two receivers is one supports SAW and the other supports SAW and Crystal wireless. No difference otherwise.

from the release notes:

SUNSET NOTIFICATION: Firmware versions LATER THAN 5.3.0 do not support the legacy M1XRF2G RF (GE format) Receiver. The newer M1XRFEG RF (GE Format) Receiver is still supported. We recommend you not update firmware if your M1 is equipped with a legacy M1XRF2G Receiver unless you are prepared and willing to replace with the newer M1XRFEG Receiver

Is there an imminent need to update the FW? Bug discovered on your configuration or install?

Firmware on the M1 should be viewed as an as-needed basis. This is coming from someone who installed plenty of them, from the original M1, then EZ8 and M1G's.

:hesaid:    If your system is "working fine", why do you want to change it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Normally I agree to this maxim too but there was an eBay coupon so I decided to use it towards an ELK-M1XRFEG.

Thanks for everyone's inputs. I can confirm it is indeed a drop-in replacement. All the wireless transmitters continue to work as usual.

If you want a perfectly working ELK-M1XRF2G it is available on the bay (item 112258027461) for forty-nine dollars with free shipping within the USA. Looks like new & comes with antennae, mounting screws and manual.

Hi Guho -

Funny, I bought the new receiver the same time you did with that ebay coupon. LOL.  Could you advise on your procedure?

Was it exactly as you planned, unenroll, turn off elk, install, enroll and all was good?

UPDATE: I went ahead and did the upgrade. Very simple. Here are the steps:

1. Make note of existing databus address, termination jumper on old ELK-M1XRF2G.
2. Configure the new ELK-M1XRFEG for the exact same settings.
3. Turn off the ELK-M1 system.
4. Remove the RS-485 wiring to the OLD ELK-M1XRF2G.
5. Connect the RS-485 wiring to the NEW ELK-M1XRFEG.

Nothing else to do. It's literally a drop-in replacement. No config needed in ELK-RP, etc. Everything works like before. :)

Back