Using sensors from an old Brinks wired system?

Thanks guys, this thread has been really helpful. I was planning to rip off my old alarm and security systems and go for a new home security installation. The suggestion here have been informational. I was wondering, if there is any benefit of installing digital locks along with a full proof security system?  And where can I find a residential locksmith in Houston. 

Sorry I know that your post is a bit old , but I am going through the same thing. Would it be possible for you to kind of  guide me along this path. I too have a Bricks system, but I don't know what all is connected to it. How do I find this out.
ano said:
I'm going through the same thing as you. 

First, you have to determine if your house was pre-wired for a security system. Yes, i know you had one, but the question is, did Brinks do the actual wiring, or did the builder do the wiring, and Brinks used it?  My house WAS prewired, meaning all the doors and windows were wired, but the ADT system added just used some of these wires. 

In any case, it best to get rid of the panel and consoles, but use the wires that are there. if you need widows and doors NOT wired, its a million times easier to add wireless sensors.  In fact, you could go all wireless, but its generally a bit more expensive for wireless than wired, but labor is much less.

ELK and HAI/Leviton are the two main home controllers that are alarms as well.  The Admco Vista20P are good basic alarm only systems.  For me, if you ar5e doing all this work, I'd spend a bit more for a full home automation capable system while your at it, but it is up to you.

O.K. back to the wires. Yes, the wires will work, as will the door and window sensors, BUT there is this thing called the End-of-Line (EOL) resistor that varies in value from one system to another.  The CORRECT way to install these resistors is at the sensor itself, but almost none of the cheap systems like Brinks do that. Instead they are sometimes installed in the panel.  If that is the case, they are easy to replace. If they are installed at the sensor, they are harder to replace, but their are workarounds. 

So yes, using the existing wires is possible, but even better is if your home was pre-wired from the start.

Systems are pretty easy to install if your slightly technical.  If your house is wired, great, but really wireless systems work good as well. Batteries last 10 years.  My house was wired but there are always more sensors to add.

A good professionally installed security system with a 3000 sq ft. house will go for $5000 to $6000 with all windows wired, doors, garage, motion sensors, CO, glass break sensors, etc.  Don't be fooled by ADT and others that will install one for "free" but require you to sign a 3 year contract for monitoring. That isn't a security system, it is a way to take advantage of unsuspecting people.  What you are buying is a long term monitoring contract, with a minimal system.

You asked about door locks, and I use 5 Zigbee Kwikset locks in my house.  I wouldn't say the locks are about security since if you don't think anyone can get in your home with or without locks, your fooling yourself. But the locks do add convenience.  I can open them remotely, have them all lock when i leave or go to sleep, etc.  To really make use of them, as well as automated lighting, shade control, etc. you really need to step up from a security system to an automation system. Leviton or ELK from a DIY perspective and figure $500 to $1000 for the box.  For professionally installed home automation, Control4, etc. figure $20,000 to $50,000.

Back