Which IP Cameras are best?

john999

I'm curious as to what brand/type of cameras people are using with their OPII, what DVR solution you use, and how well they integrate. Appreciate the feedback!

Thinking there is no favorite brand / type of camera with the OPII.

Here mixing analog / digital IP using Omnitouch, Omnitouch Video server and Omnitouch server with a Grandstream encoder / decoder, ZoneMinder (http://zoneminder.com) (http://zoneminder.com) DVR (Linux).

IP HD Cameras today are Grandstream and Ubiquiti.  Old IP cams are Panasonic.  Oldest Analog cams are Optex combos. 

The video on the newer Omnitouch 5.7e's looks fine.  The video on the legacy serially connected Omnitouch 5.7's looks fuzzy but works.

I have my IP cameras configured via PCA  / OPII board which talks to the Omnitouch 5.7e's.  You do not have to use HAI designer these days to look at the CCTV on the Omnitouch 5.7e screens.

I use this view for my weather pics.  The camera is under the 2nd floor eave connected via POE.  Its weathered OK now for the last 2-3 years.  2nd picture is the Granstream which has also weathered OK.

Both are low resolution snaphots and both cameras are full of bird stuff today.

Aircam.jpg

Grandstream.jpg

The original Leviton HAI Omnipro CCTV video server had its roots as a rebranded Axis server. 

That said the configuration in the Leviton HAI PCA (PC Access program) does show Axis on the top. (well its in alphabetical order).

My first pure IP cameras here in the midwest were Panasonic and Axis many many years ago and Optex combo analog cams going to my DIY video server.  (did utilize Axis servers at work).

My legacy Omnitouch 5.7 serially connected touchscreens are connected to a combo video / Omnitouch hub.  Video is OK and I am amazed on how well it does work.  I think it uses the serial connection wires and is just doing direct analog video from the video hub to the touchscreens (not really a serial connection).  This is a guesstimate though as I never paid much attention to it; it just worked.

Fast forward to HAI's IP camera CCTV Plug n play (easy button) utilizing HAI sold devices. 

HAI opened the door to more cameras by including JPEG and MJPEG as a choice in the configuration of CCTV stuff in PCA.

HAI-CCTV.jpg

For what it is worth....I DONT recommend Speco cameras. Camera has great picture but can't figure out how to get it to integrate with HAI and Haiku.

Depends on the application. Speco's have one of the best warranties in the business, but if the 3rd party hardware doesn't support them or the handler....you know where the issue is (not speco).

Here I used Speco analog domes for a bit.  I had a few extra; ripped them apart and put Grandstream HD IP boards in them.  They are working fine after a year.  Well its just the IP66 case.  The oldest Speco Dome lens did get a bit foggy; mostly by the LED illuminators.

Back