1-wire network rough-in

Ira

I may want to use a 1-wire network for temperature sensors sometime in the future, so I'm thinking about doing some rough-in wiring for it now while the walls are open. At this point, I have no idea where the PC, hub, etc. (whatever hardware it takes in addition to the sensors) would be located.

For locations that are hard to get to when the walls are closed and I think I may want a sensor, is simply running a cat5e cable from that location to an easily accessible location in the attic good enough? Do I need to worry about these cables causing problems when having to be spliced in (by some method) later?

I have lots of spare cat5e cable, so I don't have a problem using it, even if it is overkill for 1-wire networks.

Thanks,
Ira

Back in around 2003 I ran Cat5e for my 1-wire network terminating it to a dedicated patch panel for 1-wire.  At the time it was done in a spoke fashion and over the years adding more devices went to a bit of a hub and spoke topology.  I did mount / install one Temp-05 and two Temp-08 and a couple of Maxim 1-wire hub devices in the top of the Leviton 42" media can.  With that I did originally start with AAG 1-wire devices then blended in HB devices and Mideon devices.  I mounted / glued the old little boxes on top of standard RG-6 wall plates and put quick disconnects inside of the wall for temperature or temperature combo humidity sensors.  This was all using Wintel (Windows server was the automation mother ship).  Concurrent with this stuff utilized xAP which also worked well at the time. (variables were broadcast on the LAN).

Microlan (serial) ==> xAP broadcasting

I am today playing though with an RPi2 running Jessie with a 1-wire USB hub connected to it, writing a CSV file ever minute or so and then copying text file over to the mothership(s) to be read in to variables for graphing and touchscreen status.  It works fine this way and the RPi2 is POE connected.  Switched over to Linux (Linux server now is the automation mother ship).

While cat 5 is overkill for 1-wire, it will certainly work. If you have lot, sure use it. You may decide in the future that you want something else that does require category cable and you'll be all set.

I just wouldn't run the cabling to the attic. That's not a good environment for any equipment you may need to install later on.

Yup; here originally the terminations in the attic were RS-232 RJ-45 baluns for serial W800, RFID, GPS connections.

I concur with 42etus about putting networking equipment or servers in the attic as it isn't a good environment.  I did move my first automation box to the attic in the 1990's and yes I had some major problems with it there and moved it back to the basement.

That said really could have just extended the antenna wire instead of the RS-232.  Original GPS antenna for NTP was outside running to the basement.  The GPS device was a sealed Trimble device (for Tank use).  It was typically used in pairs. (old and cheap surplus at the time).

The POE RPi2 1-wire configuration currently in the attic was to abuse the RPi2 and to check temperature and humidity readings in the attic which really was similar or the same as using a cat5e to a 1-wire temperature sensor.  I just really wanted to see it work at 140°F. 

What's nice with 1-wire sensors is that you can put them everywhere and it doesn't cost much.

Prior to the RPi2 I installed a SureGPS board with a micro USB power adapter.  After a year or so the USB power adapter just fell off the board from the heat in the attic (?).  The RPi2 now over a year is still working fine from what I can tell.

Thing about 1-wire stuff is that the sensors are cheap and do not require batteries and are not RF.

The only hardware I put in the attic is either passive, e.g., patch panels, connectors/couplers, etc., or rated for harsh duty (like a LAN switch I have in the attic that is rated for up to 180 degrees, and not cheap). Not the best thing to do, but sometimes a person has to settle for what can be done.

The plan is to just rough-in cat5e cable from locations that are hard to reach to the nearest area (for each drop) in the attic that is easily accessible. Once the walls are closed, I can still easily extend the cables to an inside wall near the termination hardware.

Thanks,
Ira

Here originally built a chase from the basement to the attic in the 2 story home.  Included in the chase was much catXX, rg6, speaker, alarm et al wires.  Almost all of the wires were terminated on the second floor.  I did build a walk in printer paper closet in my home office running cat5e there for 3 printers which I used on a little switch in there.  The walk in closet had a door and was originally for clothes and I turned it in to a paper supply printer room adding electric, telephone and network to it. 

Back