15" ELO Refurbs - Great deal

Okay, my new toy arrived today. Looks very nice, screen in great. Now to find a wall that the wife will let me put it in.

My 2 arrived yesterday, well packaged. Alas, can't play with them this weekend, but I'm hoping to bench test them on Monday. Thanks!

Got mine today. Got it installed and it works great. All I need is a bezel to finish it off.

Michael, are you going to put these up for sale again? I might order another.

Thanks,

Scott

I just received mine today as well. They are actually bigger and more solid than I expected. Great quality.

I have not had a chance to test mine yet, but once I do I will upload some pictures. I will be waiting to see how you guys come up with a frame ;)

Definitely a great unit. It's actually so big that I gave up on installing it in my fridge door (side by side fridge).

sqhughes: would you mind posting some pictures and details on how you installed it. Thanks!

I guess I should have taken some pictures during installation, but I was anxious to see how it looked in the wall.

Here is a shot in the entrance to the bedroom:

Foyer1.JPG

Close Up:

need_frame.JPG

As for the installation, I drilled a 1.25" hole in the the floor between the studs to run the power, USB, and video cable. I have a small PC in the crawlspace that I picked up off the HomeSeer board running the show for now.

The opening is 11" x 15", which exposes about 1/4" on each stud. The screen fit perfectly between the studs and had mounting brackets on each side that I used to attach to the studs.

Now that I know it works, I'll go back in and clean up the wiring.

ah man... There goes $100 bucks... 27 of them left as of the 20th. Going to be fun trying to get it into a concrete wall...

I guess it's going to take some patch work for me to get this thing installed. It doesn't look like you can use the mounting holes with just sheetrock.

santistuff: still waiting for your pictures ;)

ah man... There goes $100 bucks... 27 of them left as of the 20th. Going to be fun trying to get it into a concrete wall...

I will mount also a 15" touch screen in a brick/concrete wall. I will be using a custom mdf box. I will post pictures when it's done.

Hi Everyone,

So they're starting to arrive! Great. The last ones from the auction shipped yesterday so they should all arrive in a few days.

My sidekick is out after surgery so I'm minding the shop all by myself and that's put me behind on a few things, including pics (wink acknowledged :^)) and bezels. I'm trying a different approach that wastes much less material, which is good when the material is expensive black plex. When it's done, I'll put plans here and maybe offer them for sale.

I ran out of the special ELO SAW foam tape last week and just received some more today. I'll mail some tomorrow to those of you who didn't receive it with your orders.

I'm not going to relist the ones that didn't sell on Ebay, but if anyone wants to get another or two, you can deal with me directly. I think there are about 12 or so left. My email is [email protected] and my phone is 610-544-3414. You can call me for technical issues too, or post here. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Dan- The easiest way to mount these in sheetrock, if your studs don't line up, is to
1. Cut out your opening.
2. Get 2 scraps of 1x2 furring strip and clamp them behind the drywall flush with left and right edges of the opening.
3. Run some drywall screws through the sheetrock into furring strips. Make sure the heads are slightly buried.
4. Put the touchscreen in place and run some more screws through the mounting tabs, sheetrock and furring strips.

Don't put the screws from step 3 where the screws from step 4 will go like I did. Doh!

Cheers-

-Michael

Thanks for the update!

I noticed the glass shows some 'fingers' , assuming from wear, can I clean/polish the glass like it's regular glass (I have some automotive stuff that works great), or is there still some kind of sensor in the glass itself as well?

Thanks for the update!

I noticed the glass shows some 'fingers' , assuming from wear, can I clean/polish the glass like it's regular glass (I have some automotive stuff that works great), or is there still some kind of sensor in the glass itself as well?

Yes, it's regular glass and you can clean it with normal class cleansers. Just be sure not to get any liquid between the touchpanel and the bezel, because it won't work until it's dried out.

There are four sensors, but they are not in the active area of the touchpanel. They are attached to the glass around the edges and have 2 wires going to each one.

You may notice that on some units there is a "fog" on the back of the touchpanel that is visible when the touchscreen is turned off. This cannot be cleaned without removing the touchpanel, which is quite a production. I look at them before shipping to make sure this is not visible when the monitor is on.

How ELO can make a touchpanel out of glass is really very interesting. This is a good read:

http://www.elotouch.com/Technologies/Intel.../howitworks.asp

Ok, My screen arrived today, VERY well packaged and in great shape, and has the tape you were mentioning in previous posts for mounting the bezel without interference.

I notice that I have to use a large portion of my finger, the complete pad of my finger, with a bit of pressure (to flatten out the finger to make a larger surface area). If I try to use the standard "finger tip" it will not recognize the touch. I hope this is making sense. For instance if I use the pad of my thumb (much larger) it recognizes the touch perfectly. Is this normal?

The monitor is currently set up on my desktop on a make shift stand for testing, and there is nothing to obstruct the 4 sensors that are surface mounted on the glass.

EDIT:

OK, I just recorded a quick video with my webcam, not the greatest quality, but it shows what I mean. You can view the video HERE.
Also I have a bright green blown pixel about 2 inches down, and 4 inches from the right. If it were a dead pixel (Black) it wouldnt be so bad, but its bright green :) You can actually see it in the video, below the date in the top right of the screen.

Back