2 door switch questions

tanstaaf1

(1) I bought expensive wood exterior doors and I don't want to mount magnetic switches on their presenting surfaces. Are there sensors that I can recess into the top of the door frame and the top of the door which will be invisible, at least when the door is closed? I would think so. Where would I get them?

(2) Can 2 cat5 wire strands be used for wiring a magnetic door switch instead of using dedicated alarm company wiring? This would be convenient if it will work, as the cat 5 is already there and I'd have strands left over for other possible uses.

If you got the CAT5E run already, then simple connect a pair with the sensors using alarm wiring or something (unless the CAT5E is in the door itself), but it will work fine. I use CAT5E for this as well.

bfisher said:
In addition to recessed reed switches, you can also use plungers (thats what I use on my doors).

Recessed Plungers
How do you like those plungers compared to magnetic contacts? I was thinking about putting those in my friends oak front doors, but he opted for the magnetic contacts tech-home mentioned above.

Just curious about someone's opinion who used both!

Sentrol has published an applications notebook which basically shows their different products and the best way to install them. They have both recessed and plunger switches. I have put a copy here for your convenience. They have done a very thorough job and it is a great resource for anyone doing their own security installations.

BraveSirRobbin said:
I've used both - and they both work well. I don't have a preference, other than with plungers - it's just 1 hole... and I don't have to drill into my doors.

I'm slightly prefer the magnetic contacts. as I've had a few plungers fail on me. However, those were older (and cheap) units, so my experience might not be representative.

Also, you can get many of the switches in brown instead of white. Depending on how dark the wood on your doors are, that might be a better choice than the white.

I have used all types. My latest preference is the Sentrol 1055W. It is a 1/4" recessed switch and magnet. It has a very wide gap which reduces false alarms. It used to come in dark brown but is now only available in white. It is so small that the color is insignificant.

Robert

BraveSirRobbin said:
How do you like those plungers compared to magnetic contacts?

I have a high risk door that I plan on using both on. Usually if someone is going to bypass a switch, they don't look for a back up. Only problem is that to keep the plunger hidden during daily use, I have to put it on the hinge side of the door. For it to activate properly, the door has to be WAY open...

Zang said:
I have a high risk door that I plan on using both on. Usually if someone is going to bypass a switch, they don't look for a back up. Only problem is that to keep the plunger hidden during daily use, I have to put it on the hinge side of the door. For it to activate properly, the door has to be WAY open...
Mine is mounted in the hinge side of the door - but doesn't require much movement to activate - open it maybe 1 inch to trigger. I guess it depends on the plunger depth and how close to the hinge you mount it (if you mount it closer to the hinge, it will require more angle to open the plunger).

Back