24v Water Valves


Senior Member
This topic stems from a discussion on the homeseer boards.

I was not aware that these 24v water control valves existed in this form. I have hear of devices like the water-cop but never a device that is simply a motor cotrolled by applying 24v. So I am starting this topic to see what types of ideas you guys can come up with. Where could you use one of these besides the obvious.
  • Sprinkler
  • Washing Machine
My thoughts were to possible setup a remote switch for the bath water. Why? Well without getting too graphic I like to take baths with my wife in out oversize jacuzzi tub. Typical we both lay at one end and the faucet it at the other end by our feet. And of course after about 10 minutes the water is already getting cold because the air circulating in the jets is cold. So one of us ends up having to sit up out of the water and reach for the other end of the tub. I already have 120v runing nder the jacuzzi which means all I would need is a 24v transformer and my dad to solder the gagets on. I would leave the normal faucets in tact and just use some sort of switch to control the faucet at the other end of the tub. Now this probably will never happen but that idea got me wondering what ideas you guys could come up with. So have at it.

Also, there is a 25psi version of this valve listed in that cocoontech thread that is only $21. What is the typical pressure of a house? I think it is over 30psi because I think code says it must be atleast 30psi.
I would say you need close to 100 psi version. When I measured mine for the sprinklers it was around 80 psi.

Good ideas I just wouldn't want to do this yet. As it seems like alot of work to get everything working right, not much room for error.

You could use sprinkler valve for it and it would handle the pressure.
Not sure where you would find these but my very small Home Depot whirlpool tub uses an air operated switch.

Maybe a better option from a safety point of view ?

Would it be possible to simply use standard 24v sprinkler valves, and then control them via 24v application?

There is of course the rain8net controller, which has both serial and X10 versions.

I have a Ware Brothers controller:


This is a nice little device, albeit expensive. It's a standalone controller, and has its own web page. I have it on our network, and also send control messages to it via rs232. Besides our five sprinkler zones, I bought three 24v-110v/15amp relays so that this unit could control our Christmas lights (had an electrician hardware the relays). And, I use RadioRA for other lights control, and use this controller's other "stations" as "virtual" stations -- when a station turns on, the Ware Brothers controller fires off an event to our main PC, which then turns on the appropriate light via RadioRa's rs232 converter.

As a side note, although I'm new here, I haven't seen RadioRa mentioned much. Although RadioRa is relatively pricey, it is completely bulletproof, and a great way to do light control. The key to adding items is to monitor ebay religiously, as some good deals can be had there from time to time.
Squintz- Where I work at, we us alot of 24 volt water valves to control the water. 24 volt d.c. is what is most common in general industry. We use valves that range from 1/4" to 1", with the psi running about 125-150 psi. There usually are a bunch on e-bay.

low-end 24v zone valves are typically used in hydronic hvac applications . . . they are usually rated around 50psi and 250F . . . (they can probably handle more than that, but might not be able to close under high pressure) . . .

. . . pressue in both domestic and hvac applications is set dependent on the 'rise' required in the system (a 3 story house needs more than a ranch) . . . there's a formula somewhere . . . something like 20psi +5 per floor (don't quote me here)

. . . that said, most systems run around 30psi in the 1" or 3/4" pipe common in residential installs . . .

Pete C