2nd Insteon going.... going...

Timoh

Well after my first Insteon died a few months ago, it now looks like my 2nd has gone flaky.

When I double tap or ramp it up all the way, it will go straight back down to a preset dim level at about 50% The preset dim level is one I set so when I turn it on in the middle of the night, I don't get blinded.

So my question, is this... Do all Insteons fail in the same way? Is this flakiness a sign of impending death? Or is there a way to reset to factory defaults that might fix this?

Thanks
Timoh

Of the dozens I had fail, none of mine failed that way. In my case you would go to operate a device and it would be dead or it would look normal and just not respond to paddle presses.

I would suggest doing a factory reset. The procedure is in the manual on the SH website.

Is this flakiness a sign of impending death? Or is there a way to reset to factory defaults that might fix this?

Sounds like something a factory reset would fix.

Pull out the plastic tab, wait a few seconds, then push back in and HOLD in for 10 seconds, then release and it should be at factory defaults.

I've had one switch do something similar. It has been a while, so please forgive my vague recollection. If I held the ramp-up toggle, it would ramp up to 100% as normal, then suddenly jump to about 20-30% and continue ramping up from there. But then it would suddenly flash to 100% for a moment and return to the dim level it was at just a moment ago. It would continue ramping up all over again to repeat the cycle.

It was a bit deadly to the eyes if you forgot where in the ramp cycle you are. If you came into the room with it dimmed right down low and started to raise it, you could get a brie flash of 100% to blind you for a moment.

I've only had one rev 2.0 switchlinc-dimmer do this, thankfully. A full factory reset made no difference.

Sometimes a full factory reset isn't necessary; just need to reboot the firmware (no lost links!). Try pulling out the air gap tab at the bottom of the switch for 10 seconds (the LEDs should go off) and then just push it back in. This has worked for me when a few of my switches got into weird states.

Yes. I've had to resort to that a few times. But it wasn't any help in the case above. Not to mention that older switchlincV2-relay devices didn't have an air-gap disconnect. Newer ones do and you can locally reboot them this way. But older ones required you to flip the breaker or otherwise disconnect them.

I've had to do this a couple of times on keypadlincV2's. Just a simple power reset did the trick.

Is this flakiness a sign of impending death? Or is there a way to reset to factory defaults that might fix this?

In my case with this was the first indication of impending death. I got about 6 more months out of it before it
died. When I say die I mean no LEDs, no response to any insteon commands, nothing. When it was in the state
you described I tried a variety of things (factory reset, air gap, circuit breaker, cursing) to no avail.

i had a switchlinc fail as follows:

1) was sending noise into powerline
2) was stuck at 70% on
3) resetting didn't help

SH replaced for free
sh-- happens

Back