3-way question

Your problem is that you need 4 wires plus ground from the feed switch up to the fixture: Hot (to feed the companion switch), neutral, load, and control (back from the companion switch).

I would use a transmitter switch at the companion location. That way you don't need the control line and don't have to pull a new wire. Run Hot, Neutral, and Load up to the fixture with hot and neutral feeding through to the companion location to power the transmitter switch.

Thanks- except for the part where I'm standing here with everything ripped apart, reeeeeeeely wanting to be done. ;-)

The light is in the unfinished basement- might be easiest to just run a neutral direct from the box, and use the three conductors for Control, Load, and Hot. That should do it, right?

mdesmarais said:
Thanks- except for the part where I'm standing here with everything ripped apart, reeeeeeeely wanting to be done. ;-)

The light is in the unfinished basement- might be easiest to just run a neutral direct from the box, and use the three conductors for Control, Load, and Hot. That should do it, right?
So you are saying run a separate line from the panel to the fixture (or companion location) to provide neutral and use the three conductors between the switch and the fixture for hot, load and control? Yes, That would work.

I THINK........ that if you run a seperate neutral you have to be careful that the impedance of the line is no longer balanced. If you had something sensitive to that such as a GFCI it might nuisance trip (like if you share a neutral between to hots which is common..

If its only a light then there should be no problem.

OK, Im not sure if this would work... but cant you mark the red wire and us it as a feed from sw 1 to sw2? using the light box for a junction box?

Attachments

• possiable3way.JPG
    possiable3way.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 29
Wow, didn't think it would generate this much traffic!

I pulled a short line (that took EXACTLY my last piece of 14/2 ;-) to a different light fixture and stole neutral.

I did think about the GFCI thing- in fact, I had a much closer box, but it feeds outside outlets, and is already downstream of a GFCI, so I didn't want to chance unbalancing it.

Thanks for the help!!

Markd

Back