3 wire 120VAC Smoke detectors possible to use?

Hi George;

Checking the simple things first, were you able to trigger all the smokes when one was tested with your old setup?

Yes, with the old system one smoke will set off all the smokes (required here in Colorado). After installiong the 350CX, testing the 350CX will set off the other smokes. However testing the other smokes does not set off the 350CX - and therefor does not trip the relay.

George M

EDIT: The other smokes are Firex brand

I'm not 100% sure but I started looking into this myself a while back (never did it though) and from the research I did, I believe that not all smoke alarms operate on the same "trigger voltage" to send the signal to the others, so I never tried putting just one in and leaving the remaining others in place. My detectors are all about 8 years old, so in 2 more years I plan on upgrading them all to the GE 350's with the one in the basement having the relay contacts to trigger the ELK. I have FIREX throughout the house as well and looked into the firex relay, but due to the issues of it not working while on battery power, etc, I just postponed this project until I replace all of the smoke's at once. You might want to do some more research though to see if that is the issue (the voltage sent between the smoke detectors).

I just did some quick searching and pretty much every link I found said don't mix and match smoke detectors...I'm sure you'll find the same info via Google as well. Again, this is why I postponed it until I replaced them ALL at once.

Back