3 wires _Adapt to 4 wire GE/Jasco 3 way switch

Badger51

I'm a novice and am attempting to install a GE/Jasco Zwave switch(s) for a 3 way circuit.
The GE/Jasco switches are 45609 and 45614

In both of the switch boxes, the existing wiring is black, white and red.

I've identified which switch box has the "hot" black wire.
However, the main GE/Jasco switch has four screws and I only have three wires.

The second-Slave GE/Jasco switch has two screws and I believe I can cap off the white neutral wire and use the red and black wires for the two terminals.

However, I am still confused about how to wire the Master GE/Jasco switch with four terminals.

Any ideas out there?

thanks

Not possible. There must be more wires in the boxes even if they weren't connected to your old switches. You need to identify all the wires and don't assume what they are based on color.

Its actually is possible to have a 3-way wired with only xx/3 to each switchbox.  The 3-way connections are made in the light outlet box. 

for example,
the xx/2 power feed comes into the light outlet box, the black is connected to the xx/3 to box1, the white is connected to the light.
the red and white in the xx/3s to the switchboxes are travelers and are connected together.
the black in the xx/3 from box2 is the switched hot and is connected to the light.
draw it out.

Double check the wires/cables in each box; carefully pull out all the wires tucked into the back of the box, do not disconnect anything yet.  If you really only have 3 wires + ground, then open up the light box and check the connections there.

Pictures will help.

If there is conduit rather than romex between the light and the switch box you can also add another wire maybe.

sda said:
Its actually is possible to have a 3-way wired with only xx/3 to each switchbox.  The 3-way connections are made in the light outlet box. 

Agreed. Here is a picture of such wiring.

3-way-power-at-light2.jpg

Yes OK it is possible but uncommon and would require adding a wire for these switches so I didn't want to mention it yet until he insisted there were absolutely only 3 wires.

It appears both of you are right.

There are "extra" wires in the switch box, but the wiring for the 3 way switch is as represented by the drawing.

I'm at a disadvantage since I am used to wiring in older houses that was often just two wires, white and black....but with all the same covering on the wires.

But given the current switch wiring, I assume I would have to find another "black" wire that acts as the traveler to properly wire the GE/Jasco switches?

Personally I would shut off the power at the breaker and pull out the switches and light and electric wires and check them one by one; then label what you have learned from that.  It is time consuming but not really a big deal.

No sense in guessing based on what colors you are seeing.  Check which black wire / white wire does what (traveler, hot, load or neutral).

Post some photos with adequate lighting to see all the wires and inside the boxes.

If you are sure that all 3 wires going to the switches on BOTH ends come from only one romex then you have more work to do.  But if they come from more then one then it could be easy.

Back