4-wire Smokes

maknoll

I would like to draw on the board's collective wisdom....

In addition to the single Cat5 wire from the control (basement) to the input expansion board (attic above 2nd floor), I will also need a 2-wire conductor between the SAUX +/- and the first of at least five smoke and CO detectors on that floor.

After the last/fifth detector, I will need to wire in an EOL relay module to supervise power. At that point, I will also need an EOL resistor to supervise the signal.

If I want all the detectors to sound if only one is tripped, I need some type of polarity reversing module installed near the control on the SAUX line.

I would repeat this process for installation of detectors on the two remaining floors, but would only need the single polarity reversing module on the SAUX.

Do I have this right? I apologize for any incorrect terminology -- I'm just starting to get up to speed.

Thanks!
Mark

Mark,
The polarity reversing module has a double pole double throw relay in it that reverses the current when the alarm activates. The distributor that you purchased the smoke detectors from can advise on the model number of the polarity reversing module.

Welcome to Home Automation and Cocoontech.

Mark, if I understand your question, you should use an EOL Relay for each floor. Each fire zone should be supervised w/ EOL Relay & Resistor. With only 1-relay to supervise multiple "taps" only the wire connected to the relay would be truly supervised. The panel would not detect a break in one of the power wires without having the power supervised and the smoke detectors could be inoperative.
The CO detectors usually don't need to be powered by SAUX 12V because they don't latch as do smoke detectors. Good luck.

CDC

Thanks for the help!! :)

.....you should use an EOL Relay for each floor. Each fire zone should be supervised w/ EOL Relay & Resistor. With only 1-relay to supervise multiple "taps" only the wire connected to the relay would be truly supervised......

Great. That helps a lot.

The CO detectors usually don't need to be powered by SAUX 12V because they don't latch as do smoke detectors.

I knew that one, but used the same power because it was there. Hope that is OK.

Back