A bunch of smoke questions...

shenandoah75

1) Sorry for my ignorance on this, but reading through the following doc, i can't tell if the ESL hard-wired units meant for panels have their own audio output when in alarm? I am hoping so as these would be in kids bedrooms upstairs not near an elk speaker...

i'm looking at the ESL-541CXT specifically (of course will listen to any other recommendations)

http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/7497r.pdf

2) i was reading somewhere that i could not replace an existing hardwired smoke with a battery one. The article didn't have a code reference, but I assume that this doesn't mean i can't take an existing 120V hardwire and convert it to a panel-based low voltage one?

3) in my downstairs, i have a pretty wide open area seperated into 4 rooms (family, dining, kitchen/nook, office - and a foyer/stairweel at front door between dining /office)... My only detector downstairs is in a small hall between living / master bed and only upstrairs is at top of stairwell. In addition to converting these to panel-based, i'd add 4 for each of the bedrooms. The downstairs hall with the detector is like 3'x3' and with 10' ceilings and curved 9' arch entryways. I feel there is a risk here that in a fire originating in the main living area, the smoke could rise and get blocked by the drywall above the arch delaying the alarm for a while... So i'd like to get some ideas on what to do with the downstairs?

I will likely put one in the garage, i know that i can't put one in the kitchen. Was thinking the far hall between kitchen and laundry migh be ok - but again high ceilings, lower doors/arches concern me... Thinking that dining/office/fam would overkill... maybe just one outside the closet under the stairwell? Any recommendations?

4) for the garage application (esp in Florida) will the combo photo/heat rise dectector be a bad idea. I'm thinking that's it's possible to open the garege door on a hot day and have it rise > 15 degrees in less than a minute? Maybe i should only go photo there?

5) was also thinking smokes in my office and workshop in the outbuilding. But worries the sawdust would trip the one in the shop?

thx in advance
-brad

firstfloor.gif

I can help with 4 and 5 :)

"4) for the garage application (esp in Florida) will the combo photo/heat rise dectector be a bad idea. I'm thinking that's it's possible to open the garege door on a hot day and have it rise > 15 degrees in less than a minute? Maybe i should only go photo there?"

I have both photo and heat rise detector in my garage here in Houston and have never had it false alarm, even in the hottest of summers.

"5) was also thinking smokes in my office and workshop in the outbuilding. But worries the sawdust would trip the one in the shop?"

My detector has a thin mesh in the cover that traps any sawdust, etc. Once a year I blow it and the detector out with compressed air and re-test. Works like a champ. I probably generate much more sawdust than you ever will as I have an 4' x 8' CNC router in the garage that can turn a piece of plywood into a pile of dust in short order :)

Back