A new guy planning for a new house

JonBlue

Hello, my name is Jon and this is my first post after a long while of lurking in unregistered shadows. I hope this is the appropriate place to post as it will encompass a few forum topics.

I’m planning on purchasing a new home in the upcoming months and home automation is at the TOP of the list. I finally have a job that will allow me to live anywhere I want so Outer Banks, NC here I come! Although I haven’t found the specific house yet with my budget in mind I can generalities and my HA goals. Like I said, I have been lurking around for a few weeks now and I am beginning to get a basic understanding HA, but some helpful advice for a noob would be great.

Up until now the extent of my HA (if you want to call it that) was Logitech harmony remotes to dim lights when I play a DVD and AirPorts to stream music throughout the house. I am tech/electrical/networking savvy so hopefully the actual implantation of this somewhat ambitious project will with any luck be smooth(ish).

From my budget and comparable houses in the areas I am looking in the rough specs should be ~2,000 sqft 3-4 bedroom home.

What I am looking for is this:
The ability to play music throughout the house from iPhone, iPad and iTunes in different zones. Preferably this would be over wifi to allow max range. CD’s and the like are not a real concern only digital. (FM would be nice too but not a deal breaker). The airport and mactv work for this but don’t allow for different zones/ multiple inputs.

Home theater system in the living room and master bedroom. Neither of these need to be powerhouses, just TV, speakers, media player and game system. The challenge is a system to be able to hit “DVD, TV, PS3” and the input sources change automatically (and actually work unlike the harmony remotes)

Lighting Scenes. To be incorporated with the HT system. Hit play lights dim, hit pause lights come up. Also other non-conditional scenes throughout the house/yard.

Control. I don’t care to get online and turn my lights on and off or change the temp in the house but Iphone/Ipad control over wifi would be ideal. I know this may not be too practical with the tv system so any suggestions there would be great!

Sorry for the long post, just looking for a place to start. And hopefully make it simple/reliable for my fiancée to use. Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Jon

Well, what you're trying to do is perfectly practical; it's just that the media control isn't as polished IMO and requires a little more upfront work.

Most likely you'll end up going towards a system like CQC or Mainlobby and find the correct AV equipment to use... then you'll have to figure out your control mechanism; Serial (RS232) is best when available; IP - same thing; if you get stuck with IR, it's doable.

Once you get the AV stuff worked out, figuring out how to handle the lights is a cake walk; UPB/Insteon/Z-Wave - all easy and perfectly doable. I have a UPB write-up in my signature. Most of the systems that can handle AV well can handle lighting pretty easily.

Have you looked into HAI as your home automation controller? You could incorporate their Hifi2 system for whole house audio, which would give you full control through your phone/iPad/tablet, etc through an app called Snaplink.

Look into RTI or URC for your universal remote. They will blow anything Logitech out of the water, and will prove to be much more reliable.

As far as consistently reliable lighting control, I would recommend UPB or RadioRa2.

You would also be able to hook up an OmniStat2 to control your HVAC system.

Sounds like you have a fun project ahead of you!

Back