Adding Cellular to Elk M1

gcimmino

I'm about to click "buy" on an order to add cellular reporting to an M1 system that is already using NextAlarm.

I would appreciate a "sanity check" from those who know these parts.

I have two choices for the communicator:
  1. Uplink 2500SER, listed as "25 pin serial anynet for Elk panel"
  2. there's also a 2500STD listed, which I'm presuming uses the molex connector? It appears to be more popular. Same price.
Same for the cable:
  1. Uplink 1000CAB Cable serial for use with Elk Panel
  2. Uplink 24450300 9-25-PIN-Female-Serial Plug Cable

I'm guessing the first of each set go together as do the second of each set and that either set works. Is this the correct? Or is one pair "better"?

Of course, I need an XSP too, then need to register the Uplink with NextAlarm so they can activate it with the additional $7 /month fee.

With this, I'm presuming that I can switch to cellular as the primary monitoring with both alarms and event notification.

Thanks for the review.

I use cellular for my Elk panel via the HAI C3 unit. I can not say anything about the options you listed. I can tell you that the HAI works exactly as it should. It plugs into the Elk panel via the standard telephone jack used for any other telephone connection. The Elk is configured exactly the same as if you were using regular old land line setup. The system calls the alarm relay people (I use watchlight) and transmits the codes just like a land line. Watch light is aware of it being a cellular but said that it doesn't make any difference (and indeed that appears to be the case). The C3 unit will require a contract with a GSM cellular company (I use ATT and it costs $10/mo to add the line and the minutes share with my other cell phones).

I use cellular for my Elk panel via the HAI C3 unit. I can not say anything about the options you listed. I can tell you that the HAI works exactly as it should. It plugs into the Elk panel via the standard telephone jack used for any other telephone connection. The Elk is configured exactly the same as if you were using regular old land line setup. The system calls the alarm relay people (I use watchlight) and transmits the codes just like a land line. Watch light is aware of it being a cellular but said that it doesn't make any difference (and indeed that appears to be the case). The C3 unit will require a contract with a GSM cellular company (I use ATT and it costs $10/mo to add the line and the minutes share with my other cell phones).

Lou, thanks for the reply, but I'm looking specifically at the Uplink configuration. My dialer is actually blown out, so using a cellular option that connects via the telephone jack isn't an option.

I do use Uplink with the molex connector, and it does connect to an XSP. I don't know much about the cables you reference. I had a hard time coming by a cable with the correct termination, and ended up getting it from someone here on CT.

But I've had very little issues with it. There is a limit to number of events you're allowed to publish per month through Uplink or NextAlarm (I don't remember which one has the limit), but it's something in the several thousand. I get every arm and disarm reported and emailed to me.

But I can't tell you which way would be better...

I do use Uplink with the molex connector, and it does connect to an XSP. I don't know much about the cables you reference. I had a hard time coming by a cable with the correct termination, and ended up getting it from someone here on CT.

But I've had very little issues with it. There is a limit to number of events you're allowed to publish per month through Uplink or NextAlarm (I don't remember which one has the limit), but it's something in the several thousand. I get every arm and disarm reported and emailed to me.

But I can't tell you which way would be better...

Delicious

I was the one who made the cable and sent it to you for FREE. No material and shipping cost since it was very little.

If someone wants this same cable I may end up having to charge a small fee for the connectors and shipping.

I was doing my best not to 'out' you as my supplier, so as not to trigger a sudden inundation of requests!

I'm trying very hard to get the correct cable for an uplink anynet I purchased off eBay. The price was good ($15), but the cable is very hard to find. I was hoping to get Tuantu to make one for me (you could start a business selling these on eBay!). Would you mind sending me a message when you get a chance?

I'm trying very hard to get the correct cable for an uplink anynet I purchased off eBay. The price was good ($15), but the cable is very hard to find. I was hoping to get Tuantu to make one for me (you could start a business selling these on eBay!). Would you mind sending me a message when you get a chance?

I tried to PM you but got this reply.

This message can not be sent because the recipient has their personal messenger disabled or they are in a member group not allowed to use the personal messenger.

This personal message has not been sent

You can purchase the Molex connector and pin from DigiKey, Allied Electronics, etc and make it yourself. The part numbers for connector and pin are in the ELK XSP manual and Uplink manual. If you don't feel like doing it yourself then send it to me but I will have to charge you a small fee plus shipping charge.

Elk sells the Molex to DB9 cable needed for Uplink. Contact a distributor and ask them to special order from Elk part # ELKW046A.

I called Smarthome and ASIHome (both Elk distributors) and neither could find the Elk part number ELKW046A. I also went to Elk's web site and their part list and couldn't find it.

Do you happen to know who I can order this part through or if the part number is correct?

Thanks!

Trust me, the part number is correct. Tell your Elk Distributor to contact Elk and special order it. Being new it's not made the product sheets or the website yet.

ELKW046A

I sent mail to ASIHome and asked them to special order the part. We'll see if they can get it and at what cost. Meanwhile, tuanto, would you mind contacting me at CWILLIatGMXdotCOM. I would be willing to pay you to build the cable for me if you are interested. I can't contact you directly as I haven't been a member long enough.

Good news. ASIHome was able to find this item through Elk. The part (ELK-W046A) is $11.39 and with shipping will come to around $20. Thank you bphillips for the tip. I'll let everyone know when I actually get it and connect the Uplink.

Back